The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

2 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Talk going around now that an election might get called.

Can you imagine the shitshow?

It says something about the ineptness of Labour that after the appalling leadership from the government over the last few years, it's still hard to see a Labour majority. 

• Like 1

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/elections/2019/01/three-cabinet-ministers-have-told-their-local-parties-prepare-general

Three cabinet ministers have told their local parties: prepare for a general election

A further six junior ministers have also asked their local parties to be ready for a contest. 

Great!!!

What a complete waste of time that is. Everyone should protest vote in the Monster Raving Loony Party ( cue - "ah but they're already there" gags ) 

Edited by Rodders

5 minutes ago, Chindie said:

An election on current policies would virtually guarantee a No Deal Brexit. Both main parties ostensibly are Brexit Parties and it would take a huge chunk out of the time left (if not all of it)

13 minutes ago, Chindie said:

It would be fitting given where we are now that every single constituency votes the same as 2017 and returns the exact same result.

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It says something about the ineptness of Labour that after the appalling leadership from the government over the last few years, it's still hard to see a Labour majority. 

True, it's a damning indictment that a government this bad would not be given a hammering.

It's not totally Labour ineptness though. Vast numbers of seats in England would vote Tory if Peppa Pig was leading them. Labour have faced an obscenely hostile media under Corbyn, even accounting for the crap bits of his leadership. And Brexit throw's a hand grenade in it all.

There's not a chance of a Labour majority. Scarily I could see a Tory one, which really should be completely unfeasible after the last few years.

It's crazy this is even being discussed. If it's true, May seems more keen to risk everything than row back the merest hint of a red line.

Just now, sharkyvilla said:

I think it's inevitable, I see no other way of breaking the stalemate in parliament. 

It will just be a stalemate in itself though.  No other policies would get a look in with Brexit at the fore and neither of the major parties seem to be able to offer anything to resolve it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rodders said:

election will be yet more waste of time and money as it doesn't address the way to deal with Brexit

Depends if one of the two main parties changes their policy to... unilaterally revoke A50

(I concede this will not happen)

An election has been increasing in likelihood for a while; May is truly wedded to her WA and there may be no alternative to securing it. 230 MPs is too big of a defeat to whittle down over the remaining weeks.

This way, she can campaign on a claim that her deal both secures a Brexit that's actually real (her wing of the party are inching towards a Norway-style deal, which breaks several of her red lines) and avoids a no-deal scenario. Obviously local party associations won't deselect No Deal rebels that they agree with, but if she somehow cobbles together a 40 or 50 seat majority there might be enough persuaded that her WA has a mandate that she could force it through the Commons. 

I'm both surprised and not to see people in this thread assuming that a Labour win is impossible; this isn't 1983 or 2001. Both parties are level-pegging in the polls, and have been for a while, but the political environment is very unstable and it would only take a much smaller shift than was seen in 2017 in either direction to produce a decisive result. Both parties have declined in the polling average since then, and it would be interesting to know the geographical dispersal of that lost popularity. My hunch is that Labour would struggle in Scotland and the likes of Canterbury that they won in 2017, but might do better than expected in some of the working class midland and northern constituencies they lost in the last two elections. It's just a guess though at this stage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

Scarily I could see a Tory one, which really should be completely unfeasible after the last few years.

I kinda speculated (well I didn't speculate more asked a question as I don't know the answer)  on that outcome  the other week as to where would it leave Backstops etc if May  no longer required the DUP to prop her up

I can't see a GE being called , but if one is the potential outcomes could be even more mind blowing than our current options

29 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I think it's inevitable, I see no other way of breaking the stalemate in parliament. 

I got the impression that Bercow had paved the way now that parliament could have more say , so potentially MP's could come together and table  some alternatives ?   .. we might get something out of left field that gets a majority  backing  ? 

14 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Obviously local party associations won't deselect No Deal rebels that they agree with

There's a fair chance that the likes of Boles et al. might get booted in favour of new No Deal advocates, isn't there?

4 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I got the impression that Bercow had paved the way now that parliament could have more say , so potentially MP's could come together and table  some alternatives ?   .. we might get something out of left field that gets a majority  backing  ? 

It'll be a complete sh*t-show. Every group of half a dozen MPs, convinced that their way is correct, giving little concern to whether it will be acceptable across the Channel and squabbling in the Commons because their fantasy Canada SuperDoublePlus deal is better than somebody else's fantasy NorwayExtraSmooth deal.

And ignoring that every single one of their schemes will still involve a backstop and a withdrawal agreement nearly identical to the one they just rejected.

May's been utterly hopeless, but at least she realises that the withdrawal agreement and backstop is there whatever type of Brexit happens. Seems that nobody else has read that memo.

6 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

following on from the woman who wont resign  whilst telling MP's to put self-interest aside   ,  we now have the man who met with the likes of Hamas and the IRA without preconditions in order  to encourage dialogue between "all sides"   .. refusing to meet with UK government

I believe those groups had a plan that they were following that extended far beyond the personal. 

Â