The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

20 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

It's pre planned in my opinion.  She will go back and get tiny bits from the EU so its not exactley the same as before.

She is up to something (May) I am sure of it.  Far too chipper for my liking 😀

EU (Juncker and Tusk) today again have stressed that the deal is the deal and nothing else is on the table, nor wiil it be

The EU has written to Theresa May to assure her MPs about the Brexit deal ahead of a crunch vote in the House of Commons – but warned that nothing about it can be changed.

Jean-Claude Juncker and Donald Tusk, the presidents of the Commission and Council, said the EU wanted to do a trade deal by 2020 to make sure the agreement's controversial backstop clause would never have to come into force.

But they said they were “not in a position to agree anything that changes or is inconsistent with the withdrawal agreement”.

In his section of the letter Mr Tusk said earlier reassurances on the deal drawn up by the European Council in December had "legal value", but stopped short of formally committing the EU to signing a deal by a certain date.

Mr Juncker also repeated in writing a pledge he made in December to start preparing for negotiations on a future relationship “immediately after the signature of the withdrawal agreement” in order to maximise the chance of doing a deal quickly.

Indie - More On Link

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, ml1dch said:
49 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Edit: Sorry, that was wrong.

She seems to have omitted the 'Welsh' section of her speech but no one thought to ask why in any of the questions afterwards, it seems.

I imagine opposition MPs won't be so obliging in the questions in Parliament later.

Seems I was right first time and should've ignored Ian Dunt's tweets about it - but given that he was listening to it and I wasn't, I'd have thought I was on safe ground.

Anyway, apparently she did go through with the Welsh bit but with this one amendment:

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

The backstop can't change. It's ridiculous supposedly educated people are still banging on about it. You have to suspect either they're stupid or they're cynical as **** in an effort to get the no deal scenario they want for some bizarre reason (lining their pockets...).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, snowychap said:

Seems I was right first time and should've ignored Ian Dunt's tweets about it - but given that he was listening to it and I wasn't, I'd have thought I was on safe ground.

Anyway, apparently she did go through with the Welsh bit but with this one amendment:

Jess Philips correctly pointed out that even the amended version is factually incorrect as the people of Birmingham rejected a city mayor and one was imposed by parliament anyway.

48 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

Jess Philips correctly pointed out that even the amended version is factually incorrect as the people of Birmingham rejected a city mayor and one was imposed by parliament anyway.

Everywhere that held a referendum in 2012 voted No except Doncaster and Bristol.  Manchester was, I believe, the closest poll at around 53% voting No.

In 2017, Regional Mayoral Elections were held and the six regional mayors were elected.  I can't recall why it was switched to regional mayors when the referendum was on metropolitan mayors...

The Mayor of the West Midlands was voted in on an STV system too, from what I remember.

Anyway - it's a right old load of hypocrisy and bullshit that extends beyond a single instance of the vote in Brum.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

it was 11 Mayoral referendum votes at that time  , of which Bristol and Doncaster were the only 2 to vote yes

Edit - Too slow :) ..damn you NV

Edited by tonyh29
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I think it's the part where Jim Bowen gives her the bus fare home and shows her what she could have won...

You mean Jim Bowen pulled her in the Legion once last orders were called, got her home and then changed his mind in the cold light of his fluorescent kitchen light, kicked her out and threw some small change at her as she got to his garden gate, Jim, slammed the front door and then flashed at her through T'Patio windows as she waited in the driving rain for the bus to Tadcastor (Once an hour max)? Is that what you mean?

• Haha 1

Blimey.

Relations between Bercow and the Government in all its forms (ministers, whips and those put forward by the whips to ask points of order) hit a new low every day.

Edit:

Grauniad live blog:

I have no intention of taking lectures in doing right by Parliament from people who have been conspicuous in denial of and, sometimes, contempt for it. I will stand up for the rights of the House of Commons and I will not be pushed around by agents of the executive branch.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Blimey.

Relations between Bercow and the Government in all its forms (ministers, whips and those put forward by the whips to ask points of order) hit a new low every day.

Is this in reference to a Labour MP having to delay having a cesarean because Tories can't be trusted to follow pairing rules? 

• Like 1

Â