The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

6 hours ago, wazzap24 said:

I see Neil Warnock has had his say on Brexit today and in news that will surprise absolutely no one, he's a mad Gammon.

livia-soprano.gif?w=650

There was a little clip on radio news yesterday suggesting that one of the foods at risk in a no-deal was gammon.

The reason given was that it can't be frozen very successfully, but I assumed it was a little wind-up.

• Like 1

I'm on a Facebook group for alumni of my old primary school. Most of the members are from different eras from me, but every now and then one of my contemporaries pops up. This happened today, a name I remembered, but before I contacted him, I checked out his profile. It was full of Brexit stuff, including "We demand NO deal". Other posts included anti- Muslim rhetoric and links to EDL pages. And the cherry on the cake - loads of sha "the city is blue" and SOTV stuff. 

I think I'll leave him well alone. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Another one desperate to disown his handiwork. 

The most common sentiment that is going to be heard for the next five years, from the Prime Minister (whoever it might be) down to the average man on the street is going to be "this would all have been fine if only they'd done it this way".

The lack of responsibility claimed from the people who set it in motion is going to be astonishing.

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, bickster said:

May is saying that voting her deal down is more likely to lead to no Brexit than no deal. Oh well

Funny that only a few days ago she was telling the other side that voting it down meant no deal, so which is it? She'll say anything she has to say. Pathetic

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Wainy316 said:

Is she expecting that to convince MPs to back her deal?

My (admittedly very uneducated guess) would be she's thinking the opposite. People won't back her deal, we'll end up with no Brexit, and she can say "well I wanted it but the MPs didn't back me, blame them!"

Like I've been saying for a while, that they've been dropping "no Brexit" into conversation as an option more and more is telling.

I still have this nagging hunch it isn't going to happen.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

My (admittedly very uneducated guess) would be she's thinking the opposite. People won't back her deal, we'll end up with no Brexit, and she can say "well I wanted it but the MPs didn't back me, blame them!"

Like I've been saying for a while, that they've been dropping "no Brexit" into conversation as an option more and more is telling.

Maybe old Theresa is slightly smarter than we thought.  Only slightly though.

6 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I imagne they'll have rewritten the sections about the Welsh Assembly before she actually gives today's speech?

Presumably you're referring to this...

She is to give the example of the Welsh devolution referendum in 1997, when people voted by a margin of 0.3% to create the Welsh Assembly, arguing: "That result was accepted by both sides and the popular legitimacy of that institution has never seriously been questioned."

However, records show Mrs May did in fact herself vote against the establishment of the Welsh Assembly after that referendum - while the 2005 Conservative manifesto pledged to offer the Welsh people a "referendum on whether to keep the Assembly in its current form, increase its powers or abolish it".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46856149

• Like 2

Not only did May vote against the establishment of the Welsh Assembly after it was approved in a referendum, but also a Who's Who of prominent Brexiters in Parliament at the time: Bill Cash, John Redwood, Bernard Jenkin etc. And of course, on the subject of the sanctity of referenda:

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

She's trying to scare Brexiteers into backing her deal, that's all. 'If you don't back me, you might not get anything at all and will lose this golden opportunity!'. It won't work, but it might win a couple of extra supporters and make her defeat tomorrow look slightly less bad.

It'll also set the tone for when she inevitably makes this deal get voted on again down the line.

Just now, Chindie said:

She's trying to scare Brexiteers into backing her deal, that's all. 'If you don't back me, you might not get anything at all and will lose this golden opportunity!'. It won't work, but it might win a couple of extra supporters and make her defeat tomorrow look slightly less bad.

It'll also set the tone for when she inevitably makes this deal get voted on again down the line.

She can't just ask the same question again and again. Parliament already voted. She's subverting the will of Parliament. It's anti-democratic. Shall we have a 'best of 3' votes?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, desensitized43 said:

She can't just ask the same question again and again.

It's pre planned in my opinion.  She will go back and get tiny bits from the EU so its not exactley the same as before.

She is up to something (May) I am sure of it.  Far too chipper for my liking 😀

8 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Edit: Sorry, that was wrong.

She seems to have omitted the 'Welsh' section of her speech but no one thought to ask why in any of the questions afterwards, it seems.

I imagine opposition MPs won't be so obliging in the questions in Parliament later.

Â