The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

So let me get this straight on Corbyn's latest wafflefest

His first priority is a VONC to trigger a GE

Then if the bid for a GE fails he will campaign for a Popular / Public / definitely not People's vote

He will only call for a VONC when he thinks he can win it (which is never), so essentially he'll never campaign for PV (pick your own P from his allotment) because he'll never call for a VONC because he'll never win  it

So many words, pretty much zero substance

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

Then if the bid for a GE fails he will campaign for a Popular / Public / definitely not People's vote

He will only call for a VONC when he thinks he can win it (which is never), so essentially he'll never campaign for PV (pick your own P from his allotment) because he'll never call for a VONC because he'll never win  it

I did wonder if he called a GE and for what ever reason / miracle the Tories (presumably May as they wouldn't have time to hold a leadership election ?)  won a bigger majority if they could then steam-roll through her bad Deal  whilst delivering a FU to the DUP  ?

won't happen of course .. but then how amny times have we said that in the past few years

1 hour ago, tinker said:

It's not a guess , this is fact.

I imagine it should be easy to supply evidence of this fact  .. I'd be interested to see it if you could share some links all I'm seeing is boring stuff about the UK plants being at full tilt  (at the time) and thus there was  a plan to build a plant in Saudi Arabia that was then scrapped with a view of either building it in North America or Europe  ... with Poland expected to be the winner  ... but Slovakia tweaked it foreign investment laws and won the day  .. but that aside the key decision was Slovakia's location near the Adriatic (v Poland)  meant it knocked 2 weeks off transport times to the markets of Dubai and China where they anticipated demand being highest

so , genuinely interested to see these pre referendum related discussions from the time

Edited by tonyh29
removed word "falsehoods" as sounded confrontational

2 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Based on the rioting/looting in 2011, people need any excuse.

exactly, its coming

just waiting for tommy robinson to suggest people should band together and protect local businesses from rioters who want to remain, they should all wear the same coloured shirts or something so they can recognise each other...

1 hour ago, blandy said:

This is an odd one, maybe I'm missing something. But if I'm thinking of buying a new landy,  then if I'm put off diesel, I'd buy a petrol one or a lecky one. 

They can't cope with demand for non-diesel cars.  I waited nearly a year for my petrol one.  To be honest, I now really wish I hadn't bothered, and had bought a German car instead.  The only good thing is that because there's such a waiting list for the petrol versions, I'll probably get most of my money back when I flog it on.

1 hour ago, tinker said:

Do you seriously think that JLR senior managers didnt talk to the government between May 2015 and December about the possibility of the promised referendum?

Obviously, I can't speak for what JLR senior managers were doing but you're right: they would have been as aware as the rest of us, from the time when the Bill to enable the referendum was first introduced (at the end of May 2015), that it was without much doubt that there would be a referendum by the end of 2017 (as per the first clause of the Bill/Act).

• Like 1

surprised anything is manufactured here at all anymore. When you can pay people 500 euros per month in Slovakia or 4+ times that & forced NI/pension contributions over here is doesn't take long for the cost of upping & moving to be completely wrritten off, especially when you are talking about thousands of staff.

Edited by LakotaDakota

1 hour ago, bickster said:

I think this will turn out to be wrong. Personally, I would be very surprised if there isn't a VONC within an exceedingly short time frame after the vote. 

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

I think this will turn out to be wrong. Personally, I would be very surprised if there isn't a VONC within an exceedingly short time frame after the vote. 

Wouldn't surprise me either, winning it however is a completely different matter

51 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

exactly, its coming

just waiting for tommy robinson to suggest people should band together and protect local businesses from rioters who want to remain, they should all wear the same coloured shirts or something so they can recognise each other...

I could get more people to attend my  BBQ than he could mobilise for a mob ... if people stopped banging on about Tommy Robinson I'm not even sure he'd be a thing (  not even sure why he is a thing anyway )

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, snowychap said:

The EU Referendum Act became law on 17th December 2015.

my bad , i checked it on google and just saw " 20 Feb 2016 - David Cameron has announced a referendum on whether Britain should remain in the EU "  as the first result 

i didn't click the actual link just grabbed the date in a lazy move

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, bickster said:

Wouldn't surprise me either, winning it however is a completely different matter

Agreed. It's hard to know. 

On the one hand, skepticism about MP's of any party voting no confidence in their own government seems entirely warranted, perhaps especially Tories. 

On the other, well, who knows if this means anything:

On which topic, I see that members of his constituency party have begun the process of deselecting Nick Boles . . .

. . . which might be a bit of a double-edged sword? I mean, on the one hand sure, certainly makes clear that the cost of stepping out of line here is your Conservative career. On the other hand, if they're making clear that any break with orthodoxy is going to be punished by deselection, what have these guys got to lose?

• Like 4

Brexit plan B debate will last only 90 minutes, says No 10

Downing Street has said that if Theresa May’s deal is voted down, any debate over a Brexit plan B would be 90 minutes long and only one amendment would be allowed.

The prime minister’s spokesman told reporters at Thursday morning’s lobby briefing that No 10’s understanding of the Dominic Grieve amendment, which requires May to outline a plan B in three working days if she is defeated, was that only a limited debate would then be allowed.

The spokesman said: “[In relation to] the motion that would follow from the Grieve amendment, there would only be 90 minutes of debate on the motion is our understanding and only one amendment could be selected.”

The government was controversially defeated on Wednesday by 308 to 297 after John Bercow, the Speaker, allowed the Conservative backbencher to submit an amendment reducing the amount of time May would have to act.

Any Brexit plan B debate would be likely to be held in a crisis atmosphere with intense pressure on MPs to decide how to act, given that May’s deal would have been voted down.

MPs are also likely to want to submit a string of amendments for a second referendum or in support of a Norway-plus option of remaining in the single market and customs union.

Downing Street said it understood that it would have to table a motion outlining what it would do next by the evening of Monday 21 January, three sitting days after May’s Brexit deal is due to be voted on by MPs.

...more on link

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

Corbyn is getting on my tits more than the Tories at the moment. 

Just F-off with this 'negotiate a better  non-existent unicorn deal' crap.

Back Remain or get back in the sea, we don't need two parties peddling  the same fantasist twaddle. 

Very much this, with added extra sweary invective

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

On which topic, I see that members of his constituency party have begun the process of deselecting Nick Boles . . .

. . . which might be a bit of a double-edged sword? I mean, on the one hand sure, certainly makes clear that the cost of stepping out of line here is your Conservative career. On the other hand, if they're making clear that any break with orthodoxy is going to be punished by deselection, what have these guys got to lose?

That letter can't possibly be genuine, surely? It's atrociously written. He needs to fire his proofreader forthwith!

Â