The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

30 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I am asking hypothetical question - the entire debate is hypothetical.

Nothing has been agreed, nothing is confirmed, we don't even know that the UK will definitely leave the EU. For all we know we might have a government crisis looking at how things are going, a general election, different leaders and a new referendum.

I just don't like panic before we know any facts and there seems to be a lot of it at the minute.

It's hypothetical panic, like your hypothetical questions.

We know for a fact that aircraft currently leave and land at UK airports as a result of an EU treaty.

We also know for a fact, that if that treaty ceases and something isn't put in its place, aircraft will not leave and land as there will be no legal basis for them to do so.

Now, the thing that allays the panic is the "something put in its place" bit. If it's sorted, no drama.

The thing that exacerbates the panic is that Chris Grayling is dealing with it by trying to liaise directly with individual countries, who can't arrange a bilateral treaty with the UK.

So it could all be fine, but on the evidence there is good reason for the hypothetical panic.

Edited by ml1dch

2 hours ago, Mic09 said:

It's a very interesting discussion because when you talk about the above, you have to take into consideration that each member state has it's own independent political/economic interests.

If Italy wants to agree a specific deal with the UK, great, as long as Germany, France and Sweden agree. If the EU as a majority objects, no deal can be done. This is due to the primacy of the EU law above any local member state laws. This means that independent interests of member states can be stopped by other members.

So, coming back to the beginning, Italy cannot agree anything with anyone without a permission (or a lack of objection) from Brussels. Surely this is a major issue and should be considered within this discussion?

Like others have said no one has to go asking permission from Brussels. They have to abide by the existing rules. We are not only giving up being part of the group that benefits from the deals themselves but indeed our seat at the deal making table, and our veto. In the future, any deals we make with EU member states are automatically dictated on some/most/all levels by the legislature they are signed to. So we will have to abide by those rules anyway in order to trade with them.

3 hours ago, blandy said:

From a trade perspective (whatever the other arguments about the EU) we're miles better off inside than outside. Humungously so. 

This. I have many issues with the EU. Trade is not one of them.

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

The ghost of TTIP says hello

Fair Cop Guv :D (Though not actually an EU policy). For those championing the internal workings of the EU it had years of negotiating to go through. What Trump has devised in it's place we'll wait and see. I wonder if that can only be viewed 2x2 at the American embassy? :ph34r:

Good example of how the battleground has changed over the course of the last couple of years though - especially in those 'key' or at least most-often-recycled topics in the news. Some of the things relevant at the time are simply not the same now.

1 hour ago, bickster said:

The ghost of TTIP says hello

Yeah, TTIP was an abomination and (due to people power) got canned by the EU. It was a close run thing, but "we" (people) won. Which is not the case with the UK and say Fracking, or trade deals we might have done or do in the future. TTIP was a massive reason for me to see the flaws with the EU, the secrecy, the lobbyists, the sneaky dealings...and it got stopped. All those problems are even more apparent in the UK.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mic09 said:

It's a very interesting discussion because when you talk about the above, you have to take into consideration that each member state has it's own independent political/economic interests.

If Italy wants to agree a specific deal with the UK, great, as long as Germany, France and Sweden agree

Yes, this is true. FI Italy (hypothetically) could do something that would give them a leg up and knock back the others, they'd not be able to. But equally, if the next week Germany wanted to do a deal which would knock back Italy, then they'd not be able to - so no one can individually gain at the expense of everyone else - they all get protected, and on top of that, by persuading others they all get, ultimately a stronger hand. It's like now with the brexit thing - Ireland desperately wants no border with the UK. All the other EU nations are firmly supporting them, even though it doesn't really benefit, say Hungary, if there's a border or not. Stronger together.

16 minutes ago, Enda said:

If you can import dodgy Chinese shoes into Belfast, they can sneak down into Dublin (and then anywhere in Europe, via the single market)

Thanks . That was exactly my point. The single market wouldn't work if we did individual deals.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, blandy said:

Yeah, TTIP was an abomination and (due to people power) got canned by the EU. It was a close run thing, but "we" (people) won. Which is not the case with the UK and say Fracking, or trade deals we might have done or do in the future. TTIP was a massive reason for me to see the flaws with the EU, the secrecy, the lobbyists, the sneaky dealings...and it got stopped. All those problems are even more apparent in the UK.

Genuinely thought Trump stopped the negotiations.

• Like 1

Also on TTIP I didn't think it was dead, just being re-drafted. Trump's very public attack on it was mostly around it not going far enough (Especially on currency manipulation IIRC).

CETA is almost ratified though IIRC. Many of the non-trade issues most of us had with TTIP are in that. Most notably the whole "Corporate courts" thing where the companies can sue governments if Laws change that affect their profits negatively.

The poisoners in chief of TTIP were the Tories - Also the Germans and French got off their arses to protest, so who knows if it would of actually happened?

Europe will make better deals without us, whilst Fox castrates the NHS and empowers private US health companies to hold us to ransom for our lives - Kerching!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

Wasn't it initially part of Belgium that blocked it , and then the weight of the public uproar meant it never got restarted, and then, like you sa,y Trump wanted to enworsen it even more, so it has basically been canned.

10 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

Many of the non-trade issues most of us had with TTIP are in that. Most notably the whole "Corporate courts" thing where the companies can sue governments if Laws change that affect their profits negatively.

This is another thing where the Brexit people have been masssively hypocritical - wanting a "Canada plus" type deal, in which the ultimate arbiter of disputes is an  unelected, non-national, "Corporate court". With even less answerability or democratic control and oversight than is the case with the ECJ.

"We can't have foreigners dictating what we do" - "Lets have a Canada++  type deal, where a non-UK court has primacy" the absolute prongs.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, blandy said:

Wasn't it initially part of Belgium that blocked it , and then the weight of the public uproar meant it never got restarted, and then, like you sa,y Trump wanted to enworsen it even more, so it has basically been canned.

Yeah, I don't know for sure myself, but I think the negotiations continued right up until the end of the Obama Presidency, despite all the protests. Junker and a few others suggested it was not likely to continue when Trump was inaugurated. And then Trump came out with all the "really bad deal" stuff. Cancelled US involvement in TPP, stopped the TTIP negotiations and so on.

Since then tariffs got slapped on various imports, Iran ditched the Petro-Dollar in favour of the Euro. Macron, May and Merkel all visited the White House, CPTPP was signed in the wake of the collapse of TPP minus US involvement. Recently suggesting he would like the US to join CPTPP as long as it was a good/better deal or somesuch. And currently hardballing with Canada over the NAFTA re-negotiations.

As far as TTIP goes though, last I'd caught wind of was when Junker was at the White House in June or July sometime and the impression I got was that negotiations of a rebrand were going to proceed. A 'truce' was allegedly reached and reported. Although we were going to win the World Cup or something so I cared less :)

35 minutes ago, blandy said:

This is another thing where the Brexit people have been masssively hypocritical - wanting a "Canada plus" type deal, in which the ultimate arbiter of disputes is an  unelected, non-national, "Corporate court". With even less answerability or democratic control and oversight than is the case with the ECJ.

"We can't have foreigners dictating what we do" - "Lets have a Canada++  type deal, where a non-UK court has primacy" the absolute prongs.

Quite. What role the British Overseas Territories have to play in this whole thing is often over-looked or under-played for *ahem* whatever reasons imo. But in the wake of the Banking Crisis and indeed the Panama Papers we've seen a clamour behind the scenes for widening the net of the corporatocracy (?!? not sure if even a word lol) above the level of current International Law.

Coincidence?

The interesting thing about CETA to me is the idea that those provisions in the TTIP stuff to bring cases against governments would be now legal if your business was registered in Canada. Perhaps (and not meant in a glib way as an anti EU cliche) we will be witnessing the re-birth of the Commonwealth after all.

18 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

Trump officially stopped the negotiations, however the whole shebang was as good as dead in the water. The talks had stalled after many years, supposedly no agreement had been reached on any of the twenty plus sections in the trade agreement. France had threatened to block the whole thing, as Pete said there was definitely something that happened with part of Belgium. A high up in the German Govt came out and said that the whole enterprise had failed but no one was prepared to admit it in public... Trump stopped something and took the credit for it, even though it was already over in real germs.

• Thanks 1

Â