The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

A new political party with access to up to £50m in funding has been secretly under development for more than a year by a network of entrepreneurs, philanthropists and donors keen to “break the Westminster mould”, the Observer can reveal.

The movement, spearheaded by a former Labour benefactor, is understood to have been drawn up by a group frustrated by the tribal nature of politics, the polarisation caused by Brexit and the standard of political leadership on all sides. It appears to have a centrist policy platform that borrows ideas from both left and right.

Grauniad

23 minutes ago, Xann said:

"I’m not sure they have a viable plan,” said one person familiar with the project

Same old same old, then. Although I suppose that there's plenty of room to have a new party, what with the tories gone full BlueKIP, Labour having disappeared for an argument with itself in an empty room and the Libdems having headed off into the woods with a revolver and some brandy, never to be seen again, after a loud crack and dull thud were heard.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, blandy said:

Same old same old, then.

God, you're never bloody happy are you, Mr Large Typeface?

You start a party then.

Throw a party to select your ministers. Maybe by the tombola system?

:P

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Xann said:

God, you're never bloody happy are you, Mr Large Typeface?

You start a party then.

Throw a party to select your ministers. Maybe by the tombola system?

:P

I did it for the hard of reading. I said hard of reading, dear.

(actually, it's not new parties that are needed it's a new voting system - more PR based)

If I was king of the world,  you could be minister for sound.

:)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

TG1479782_The-Telegraph_SDP-Gang-of-Four

I'm sat in what was William's old constituency and their first seat.

I do take your point, its perfectly valid but I also think these are strange times and with one overarching issue that, if the polls are to be believed, the majority now believes we're heading in the wrong direction and the two main parties seem hell-bent for their own opposing views to take us down that wrong path. A new Gang of Four might just be on the cards and more successful. I also suspect given the right backing and promises that it might be more than four. You might even get some from both sides.

On the other hand, I also think it's a very long shot but that middle ground is up for grabs as neither of the two main parties seems to want it. Stranger things have happened

10 hours ago, bickster said:

On the other hand, I also think it's a very long shot but that middle ground is up for grabs as neither of the two main parties seems to want it. Stranger things have happened

In terms of policy, are they likely to be any different from the Liberal Democrats?

As from the noises that have been made so far, the main difference seems to be solely that they won't be called the Liberal Democrats.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

In terms of policy, are they likely to be any different from the Liberal Democrats?

As from the noises that have been made so far, the main difference seems to be solely that they won't be called the Liberal Democrats.

They should call themselves Keeping Up With The Konservatives and over half this country will vote for them.

48 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

I would imagine a large selling point would be that they aren't the Liberal Democrats

13 minutes ago, bickster said:

I would imagine a large selling point would be that they aren't the Liberal Democrats

And then? Or will it just be the same people, with the same policies?

"What's that? You don't like the Liberal Democrats because they broke their promise on tuition fees? Well, how about our brand new, completely different, led by Vince Cable, Democratic Liberal Party. Look, we've changed our logo slightly and everything"

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

And then? Or will it just be the same people, with the same policies?

"What's that? You don't like the Liberal Democrats because they broke their promise on tuition fees? Well, how about our brand new, completely different, led by Vince Cable, Democratic Liberal Party. Look, we've changed our logo slightly and everything"

People buy all sorts of crap, like Brexit

Â