The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I would gloat if I weren't so annoyed, but even I didn't think they'd be this pathetic. 

Having listened to Grieve's speech, I kind of understand where he's coming from but I think he's probably been sold enough pups now to have a nice little litter.

I think his real problem is that he's arguing that, should it come to it because of a no deal, the standing orders would ensure that Parliament would still be able to bring their opinion to bear on the government but if he's wrong (or has been led down the garden path again by government) then it'll be too late when that occasion arises. I, like Benn in his comments, defer to his authority about matters of parliamentary procedure but if it doesn't quite work out how Grieve believes and hopes, I do wonder who is going to take his position seriously next time round.

5 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

She looks like there's a gunman behind the camera, forcing her to read the teleprompter. 

She is basically a hostage. Go down the soft Brexit route, protect jobs and such like and the Loony right wingers will pot her. Go down the no immigration, hard brexit route and the tory rebels will end up doing the same. So she just keeps on doing nothing, saying nothing of substance, nothing truthful, nothing honest, nothing with integrity, just to cling on, in the hope that eventually, somehow, something will slam into the whole shambles and she'll be able to climb free from the wreckage. She's not leading, she's drowning out of her depth.

• Like 3

There's something confusing me, that none of the medias and whatever seem to be covering.

If the UK does a hard Brexit and there's no agreements on trade and free movement and all that stuff, then firstly the EU's own rules will require a hard border between the EU (Rep. Ireland) and the UK. Also the WTO rules will require a hard border the same way - so a no deal Brexit means a hard border.

Both the EU and the UK and the Good Friday agreement have said there will be no hard border. It was also agreed and signed up to that if there's no agreement then N.Ireland stays inthe EU single market and freedom of movement... so a border, instead between N. Ireland and the mainland UK. But that's completely unacceptable to all of the UK parliament (except the non-attending Sinn Fein MPs). So a hard Brexit with no agreement can't and won't actually happen, can it? Niether the EU, nor the UK parliament can accept such an outcome. But they're all fannying around as if it can, or at least as if it's a genuine possibility. It isn't. 

There would be a compromise on the UK side. Either accepting a soft Brexit in some regard by finally rejecting red lines, or accepting a no deal must mean a border somewhere. This country is so moronic and lead by such cowards and charlatans I expect the latter.

The economic impact of the vote for Brexit is turning out to be less of a sting and more of an ache. Sterling’s referendum-induced decline has made imports pricier. Annual inflation exceeded wage growth for most of 2017. Although inflation has fallen from its recent peak of 3.1%, real wages are still barely growing. Today the average employee’s pay-packet is roughly 3% smaller than might reasonably have been expected in June 2016, when real wages were moving upwards. Brexiteers who emphasised how much Britain allegedly pays to the EU will be interested to learn that, across the whole economy, that adds up to around £350m a week in lost earnings. Growth in household spending, which accounts for some 60% of GDP, has slowed

The Economist

Of course all of this acceptable to reach the sunny highlands where the grass is made of gold, the people are all British and everyone else knows their place, and jobs miraculously fall from the sky.

I'd be curious about whether posters that voted Leave would still have done so if they had known what a **** shambles this whole thing would be at this point. Still think it's worth it? 

The answer will be yes for a disconcertingly large number. The fantasies aren't dead yet. The ignorance is still rife. The narratives are deep set.

If you reran the referendum now it would still be a Leave win imo.

47 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'd be curious about whether posters that voted Leave would still have done so if they had known what a **** shambles this whole thing would be at this point. Still think it's worth it? 

if TV vox pops are anything to go by (they really shouldn't be), then they'd still vote yes, with the rider 'just get on with it'

there appears to be a truly deep seated denial about how simple it is to leave a club, retain all the benefits, no longer follow the rules you didn't like and be financially better off and presume you can simply join another club that will offer you a better deal

I can't decide if it's deliberate ignorance or a mass mental episode.

I can understand people wanting to leave, there are solid arguments for leaving. It's thinking it should be easy and universally beneficial I can't get my head around.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

[Speculation]

A decent number probably think we left sometime in summer 2016 and haven't given it two minutes thought since then.

[Speculation\]

Â