The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

1 hour ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

A country might be they are forced to leave due to eg Human rights abuse (after a major lurch to the right) or fiscal irregularities than mean they are cast adrift to reduce the chance of contagion as these are against the underlying values of the EU and all that as examples.  It could be anything I suppose,  1 country invades another is all it takes or terrorism linked back to EU country Y and it all goes wrong.  Chance of it happening miniscule,  chance of UK leaving EU 10 years ago,  also miniscule.  UK leaving EU thread that would never happen 1049 pages +.  

I wasn't aware that there was a mechanism for the EU to throw a member state out.

I campaigned for Brexit for nearly 30 years, but this destructive government has made me a Remainer (for now)

This sham-Brexit is a Trojan Horse designed to hoodwink the UK into a set of economic and trade policies we would never consciously consent to. It is therefore a wholly illegitimate and undemocratic Brexit which threatens to destroy the very things we set-out to save. The mandate to leave was never a mandate to destroy our constitution in order to deliver it.  

... rest of opinion piece on link

I just hope that Flint, Kinnock, Onn et al. take note of comments like this.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

What the hell are we all going to talk about, come 1st November when this is all over?

Even if we do leave on 1st November, it is just the beginning. That is what is so utterly frustrating with the “let’s just get it done” argument.

With a deal - working on the future relations with EU and how trade will work and also on all the trade deals with pretty much every single country. However building on a platform of what we have at the moment, so smaller actual impact on businesses.

without a deal - working on trade deals with everyone including the EU, however on a platform of no trade deals with anyone major (so WTO tariffs etc), plus trying to negotiate with an EU that we have just stuck 2 massive fingers up to (not just the fact we are leaving but all of the financial agreement that comes with the deal; you will imagine the EU will still want that...).

Whichever way you look at it, it is not the end, merely the beginning of a new stage of the process.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, snowychap said:

I wasn't aware that there was a mechanism for the EU to throw a member state out.

But that means anyone can do anything with any fear ? So a club with loads of benefits that you cannot lose no matter what you do.  Nuclear accidents,  war or messing with elections would see a country turn up to the next meeting to talk about tariffs on 2 headed sheep and its all pats on the back.  It's sounds odd but if there isn't then there isn't. 

But that means anyone can do anything with any fear ? So a club with loads of benefits that you cannot lose no matter what you do.  Nuclear accidents,  war or messing with elections would see a country turn up to the next meeting to talk about tariffs on 2 headed sheep and its all pats on the back.  It's sounds odd but if there isn't then there isn't. 

There's Article 7 which can be invoked (but requires unanimity amongst the member states other than the one against whom it is invoked) which suspends voting rights and so on - that's what they've tried to use aganst Poland and Hungary recently. Also sanctions can be applied against individual member states.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

I'm not sure that there should be a punishment for accidents.

49 minutes ago, limpid said:

I'm not sure that there should be a punishment for accidents.

If they were using cheap materials and fooling any inspections on purpose as VW did for example ? It just seems unlikely that the UK is the only place to have idiot politicians with enough power & greed to actually get a whole country to leave by all accounts against it's will whether by accident or corruption as examples.

If they were using cheap materials and fooling any inspections on purpose as VW did for example ? It just seems unlikely that the UK is the only place to have idiot politicians with enough power & greed to actually get a whole country to leave by all accounts against it's will whether by accident or corruption as examples.

That's negligence, or malfeasance not an accident. I'm agreeing with your sentiment, just not the example of "accidents".

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Interesting if true....

12 please, then lets get some energy around scrapping the whole sorry mess.

What'll probably happen is everyone will treat it like a high school project and do nothing on it for 11 of the 12 months then rush the submission.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Genie said:

12 please, then lets get some energy around scrapping the whole sorry mess.

What'll probably happen is everyone will treat it like a high school project and do nothing on it for 11 of the 12 months then rush the submission.

So exactly the same as the last time we got an extension and parliament went on recess for 6 weeks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mozzavfc said:

So exactly the same as the last time we got an extension and parliament went on recess for 6 weeks

It was the early summer season. Don't they all deserve a break after years of hard work? :trollface:

Â