The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

1 minute ago, bickster said:

I guarantee you every Neo-Nazi dickhead in the country voted to leave. I've even been on protests in opposition to pro-Brexit marches organised by groups like the NW Infidels etc

So you being unaware doesn't make your statement correct

Spend a lot of time in neo-Nazi's bedrooms do you :P

ps , as we are discussing incorrect statements  , you simply cannot guarantee EVERY neo-Nazi voted to leave 

11 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Spend a lot of time in neo-Nazi's bedrooms do you :P

ps , as we are discussing incorrect statements  , you simply cannot guarantee EVERY neo-Nazi voted to leave 

Plenty of Neo-Nazis homes are available to be seen on the interwebs, whether it be when they are arrested and the police put them out or when they are just having a proud moment on Social Media

When you can find me one that didn't I'll concede the point

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

It's designed to appeal to the crowd that are constantly evoking the language of war and still go to football matches and sing "no surrender to the IRA". The kind of nasty right-wing racists we're constantly told didn't all vote to leave because "we can't possibly know that, because we weren't in the voting booths when they placed their cross".

I feel vindicated that I've constantly maintained that there's a real undercurrent of racism and xenophobia in the leave side. A fear of all things foreign and a harking back to the days where Britainnia ruled the waves and faces were white.

It's not the only reason people voted to leave...but surely after seeing this, that disgusting "breaking point" poster and the constant cries of "we want our country back", even you can't deny it's a pretty major one.

Yeah I get what the posters /tweet  are doing  , but my post was asking if calling Hitler a hero to leavers wasn't akin to the same thing people were objecting to 

2 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

even you can't deny it's a pretty major one.

I hope I'm just misinterpreting this and it wasn't implying anything ? 

I'm sure some people did vote for racist reasons ,though  I'd argue that wanting to control levels of immigration doesn't necessarily make someone a racist , but the "breaking point"  posters were quite clear with the message they were trying to put across and clearly that did convince some people

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Plenty of Neo-Nazis homes are available to be seen on the interwebs, whether it be when they are arrested and the police put them out or when they are just having a proud moment on Social Media

When you can find me one that didn't I'll concede the point

thanks for the point  :)

Katie-Hopkins.jpg

16 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Yeah I get what the posters /tweet  are doing  , but my post was asking if calling Hitler a hero to leavers wasn't akin to the same thing people were objecting to 

I hope I'm just misinterpreting this and it wasn't implying anything ? 

I'm sure some people did vote for racist reasons ,though  I'd argue that wanting to control levels of immigration doesn't necessarily make someone a racist , but the "breaking point"  posters were quite clear with the message they were trying to put across and clearly that did convince some people

I've only implied that you've consistently trotted out the line that we can't be sure that every right-wing white racist voted for Brexit...something you've done again today.

You're right that we can't be certain as it's a secret ballot but we can assume if it isn't all of them, it's pretty close.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, bickster said:

Apparently we may run out of bog roll in a No Deal situation as supplies aren't limitless say Bog Roll manufacturers (I know whats coming next)

I hope the premium toilet roll manufacturers are ok. There's something about cheap bog roll that makes me feel shit.

• Haha 5

52 minutes ago, bickster said:

Apparently we may run out of bog roll in a No Deal situation as supplies aren't limitless say Bog Roll manufacturers (I know whats coming next)

Agreed,  Logically,  I would go for newspapers next and maybe then any quite thin paper you have round the house.  Good luck 😁

55 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

I've only implied that you've consistently trotted out the line that we can't be sure that every right-wing white racist voted for Brexit...something you've done again today.

I think you need to read my posts from today again ..Bicks guaranteed EVERY neo-Nazi  voted for Brexit  , all I said is you simply cannot make that guarantee  ,  that was a statement aimed at Bicks comment , nothing to do with "trotting out a line "  

His statement IS false  , you can't guarantee anything  , for one people in prison weren't allowed to vote in the referendum  and I'm sure there are a few neo-Nazis in prison  , and for 2 you can't guarantee that every Neo Nazi actually  voted  .. you can argue I'm being pedantic , but hey he started it :P

As for constantly trotted out the line .. I think I've made one reference to it previously  , probably in response to someone trotting out a remainer line  :)

Edited by tonyh29
spelling (again)

24 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

People's mindsets seem to tend to fall into one of two very different viewpoints. 

Type A are essentially 'outward lookers'. So they might think: "Yes, I'm from (say) Birmingham, but I'm also from England. I'm English, but I'm also British. I'm British, and also European. I'm European, but most importantly I'm a member of the human race". 

Type B are the 'inward lookers' - the 'Balkanisers': "I'd rather be a white European than a different race. I'd rather be British than European. I'd rather be English. Being a Brummie's better than being from elsewhere". And so on, down to the football team. Kids are stabbing each other over postcode 'loyalty', for heaven's sake. 

There is a mutual incomprehension between the two types. 

The 'A's see themselves as kind, tolerant and intelligent. They see the 'B's as malevolent, bigoted and stupid. 

The 'B's see themselves as proud, loyal and steadfast. They see the 'A's as weak, naive and traitorous. 

I don't know how we can bridge this chasm. 

Largely you can't IMO. The closest you can get is just trying to be kind and thoughtful as much as possible, but no matter what there are going to be huge numbers of people who don't see things the same way, and as you say, don't even start from the same priors. 

26 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I think you need to read my posts from today again ..Bicks guaranteed EVERY neo-Nazi  voted for Brexit  , all I said is you simply cannot make that guarantee  ,  that was a statement aimed at Bicks comment , nothing to do with "trotting out a line "  

His statement IS false  , you can't guarantee anything  , for one people in prison weren't allowed to vote in the referendum  and I'm sure there are a few neo-Nazis in prison  , and for 2 you can't guarantee that every Neo Nazi actually  voted  .. you can argue I'm being pedantic , but hey he started it :P

As for constantly trotted out the line .. I think I've made one reference to it previously  , probably in response to someone trotting out a remainer line  :)

I've come to expect it now!

The point to make is, any right thinking leaver who's spent years trying to argue that leavers aren't all racist or xenophobic and trying to play down that element as insignificant should be at best disappointed (and at worst ashamed) that the official leave side are coming out with this shit.

I'm not trying to tell you how to feel about it. I know if I'd voted leave and spent years defending myself from people implying I was in some way a racist, I'd be feeling pretty ashamed right now. That's just me though.

8 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

I've come to expect it now!

The point to make is, any right thinking leaver who's spent years trying to argue that leavers aren't all racist or xenophobic and trying to play down that element as insignificant should be at best disappointed (and at worst ashamed) that the official leave side are coming out with this shit.

I'm not trying to tell you how to feel about it. I know if I'd voted leave and spent years defending myself from people implying I was in some way a racist, I'd be feeling pretty ashamed right now. That's just me though.

I'm so glad I took the time to write a reply for you to just ignore

oh well , thanks for confirming that you were implying what I thought you were implying even if it was done in an indirect way

Edited by tonyh29
tone

5 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

....that the official leave side are coming out with this shit.

They're not. Vote Leave was the official campaign. Leave.EU weren't. 

Horrendous ****s in charge of both, but still different campaign groups.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I'm so glad I took the time to write a reply for you to just ignore

oh well , thanks for confirming that you were implying what I thought you were implying even if it was done in a snide fashion

Have a look back...I've already said that I agreed with you that we can't be sure what exact percentage of right-wing nutter voted for Brexit. Must I say that again to make you feel better?

It might make you sleep easier at night to think that just because there's no empirical evidence against what you say (as it's a secret ballot). Logic and a wealth of evidence that can be gleaned from social media (including the official leave social media) points heavily in that direction.

You can argue (and throw childish insults around) all you like. I don't expect you to admit to being wrong, you voted leave after all....for the record, that's an "indirect" comment.

Edited by desensitized43
modified as you kindly toned down yours

11 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

They're not. Vote Leave was the official campaign. Leave.EU weren't. 

Horrendous ****s in charge of both, but still different campaign groups.

Point taken. Not official...still prominent enough to be taken seriously.

3 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

I get the sentiment but aren't you as guilty as the people you've been ridiculing with statements like that ?

Clearly those tweets are trying to appeal to a certain kind of person , dare i say ones with low intelligence , but I'm not aware of any Brexiter who is advocating mass genocide nor do i suspect they have posters of der Führer on their bedroom walls

*shrugs* 

I'm comfortable with it. 

Do I think that Farage wants to round up and murder Belgians? No, I'm pretty confident that he does not.

Do I think he'd be okay with a political system that concentrated more power with the executive and made the roles of parliament, devolved Government, the judiciary and an independent media more peripheral? Yes, I'm pretty confident that he would. 

So as I say, I'm happy enough with the comparison.

Also (and I only raise it as it's you - I'd have made the "neo-Nazis in prison didn't vote" point myself if you hadn't), I never specified whom on the other side - I could have innocently meant that he really liked Italian Governor of Libya Italo Balbo because of his pointy beard... 😉

Edited by ml1dch

Â