The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

25 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

in the climate where we often hear 'brexiteers want cancer patients to die' or 'everybody that wants out is racist', there are people who wanted to leave but clearly don't think that, nor are they racist. These are ridiculous statements as you agreed.

I may lead a sheltered life, but I don't "often hear" either of those things. I think the only few times I've heard anything remotely like that is when a Brexiter has taken something like Will Self's accusation to Mark Francois that "all racists voted leave" and then either through his own stupidity, or through inability to follow reason generally Francois said "How dare you call all Brexiteers racists".

You're spot on about the tendency towards extreme accusations, and I think along with that there is a tendency not to actually read/listen to other people's points of view on all sides.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, blandy said:

I may lead a sheltered life, but I don't "often hear" either of those things. I think the only few times I've heard anything remotely like that is when a Brexiter has taken something like Will Self's accusation to Mark Francois that "all racists voted leave" and then either through his own stupidity, or through inability to follow reason generally Francois said "How dare you call all Brexiteers racists".

You're spot on about the tendency towards extreme accusations, and I think along with that there is a tendency not to actually read/listen to other people's points of view on all sides.

Half past one.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

It does make you worry what's so bad that they needed to redact when they thought Riots, Shortages and Price Rises were fine to leave in...

It's about petrol prices.

26 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

@choffer I had a look but it's too hard for me, so I'll now just leave the story well alone.

You're not alone there, Rob. That's why I posted it without comment. No idea if what he's saying is true or not - my brain just went all a bit....

simon gibson math GIF by Originals

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ml1dch said:

I wonder if there are laws about amending documents after they are required to be released...

"Reasonable "we had to stick a word in front of it to qualify it, because we know it's already been leaked that there's a real worst case plan called Black Swan, which we really hope nobody reads". 

Worth a read if you're interested in analysis of the current political lurch to the right by  a leading figure  and professor of Political Science & Psychological Science at UCI. 

Democracy is hard work and requires a lot from those who participate in it. It requires people to respect those with different views from theirs and people who don’t look like them. It asks citizens to be able to sift through large amounts of information and process the good from the bad, the true from the false. It requires thoughtfulness, discipline and logic. Unfortunately, evolution did not favor the exercise of these qualities in the context of a modern mass democracy. Citing reams of psychological research, findings that by now have become more or less familiar, Rosenberg makes his case that human beings don’t think straight. Biases of various kinds skew our brains at the most fundamental level. Our brains, says Rosenberg, are proving fatal to modern democracy........Humans just aren’t built for it......

The irony is that more democracy—ushered in by social media and the Internet, where information flows more freely than ever before—is what has unmoored our politics, and is leading us towards authoritarianism.....

Compared with the harsh demands made by democracy, which requires a tolerance for compromise and diversity, right-wing populism is like cotton candy. Whereas democracy requires us to accept the fact that we have to share our country with people who think and look differently than we do, right-wing populism offers a quick sugar high. Forget political correctness. You can feel exactly the way you really want about people who belong to other tribes.

Right-wing populists don’t have to make much sense. They can simultaneously blame immigrants for taking jobs away from Americans while claiming that these same people are lazy layabouts sponging off welfare. All the populist followers care is that they now have an enemy to blame for their feelings of ennui.

Politico Mag

(Could also post in the US Politics thread but I'm sure the visitors there will also be here :)

Defra must use 'urgent procedure' to push through Brexit legislation, perm sec says

The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs will need to use emergency procedures to push through some of the regulatory changes needed to prepare for Brexit, its permanent secretary has said.

Tamara Finkelstein told MPs on Monday that Defra had passed 126 of the 137 statutory instruments – secondary legislation needed to prepare for a post-Brexit regulatory regime – that it needs to pass before the UK’s deadline for leaving the EU on 31 October. She said 11 remained and could only be put in place via an accelerated procedure.

Parliament’s controversial prorogation, which means MPs will not meet until a Queen’s Speech on 14 October, will also mean that the agriculture and fisheries bills, which are both integral to Defra’s policy work, are likely to fall, the MPs heard.

Asked why the government was allowing two bills it had deemed flagship legislation to fall, Villiers told the committee: “We need a Queen’s speech to get on with legislation.”

... rest of article on link

Â