The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

Just now, tinker said:

Who will then and what's you logic behind your choice ?

Because of first past the post and so many safe seats - for example where I live now has always been Tory. Huge majority of tory voters. It voted leave by 54% to 46%. Labour and Lib Dems tend to come second, alternating and usually each 10,000 or so votes behind the tory. The Tory MP in the past has been exposed by the papers for various "lifestyle" things - rent boys and drugs. Did it affect the majority?  - not one bit. He'll get in again whatever happens with Brexit. It's the same in so many different constituencies - they'll stay Labour, stay Tory and so really there's only a minority of seats up for actual grabs, Labour and the tories will start with eachhaving about 180 - 200 seast minuimum guaranteed as theirs. the other 200 will be shared around. the SNP will romp home in Scotland, so that's a max of 150 seats in play for all the rest of the parties - Plain Cymru in Wales, Lib Dems, Greens, Brexit, UKIP, Tory and Labour.

The Brexit party cannot remotely "win". It is impossible.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, WhatAboutTheFinish said:

It becomes a non-point if we want to become a nation of card carriers, under government surveillance that is refusing medical treatment to those without orderly paperwork and rounding up and deporting the unemployed.

Theresa May and Priti Patel say hi. :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tinker said:

I didn't say EU immigration was causing damage , I said immigration was and that's the general opinion of the population whether that's based on fact or right wing fiction.

And I didn't say you were referring to exclusively EU immigration.

Why do you think it's causing damage? What are they doing or causing (in your opinion, of course) that's so bad?

You say they're causing damage but can you tell us how? 

27 minutes ago, blandy said:

That's true. But if you're in somewhere that recieves a lot of, say, seasonal or all year round , low paid EU workers, then unless the extra money the Nation recieves from those EU workers is directed back to that area, not, say London Cross-rail, then the benefit isn't seen, but the pressures on the NHS, school places, housing etc in that area are felt, with no action or money spent to improve life for the people (immigrants and locals) there. That's been a big failing.

A failing of the administration not the immigrants.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, tinker said:

I said immigration was and that's the general opinion of the population

It isn't. More people cureently, even with all this Brexit bobbins, view immigration as positive than negative.

45% think it's positive, 31% negative and the rest unsure/don't know (jan 2109)imix-immigration-1.jpg

24 minutes ago, WhatAboutTheFinish said:

The point being that every German also has to register their address with the government. I agree there is nothing stopping us doing it, but history shows that Britain holds civil liberties pretty high and if thought through, isn’t (for many) a desirable solution. 

Every Britain registers their address, that is precisely what the electoral roll is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tinker said:

The Brexit party would win any Election, surely that's clear ........

That leaves Farage and the Brexit party the clear winner in 52% of the country and people I speak to want it so much they would elect them in despite him being ...a moron 

You obviously don't speak to the same people I speak to. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, tinker said:

I didn't say EU immigration was causing damage , I said immigration was and that's the general opinion of the population whether that's based on fact or right wing fiction.

Not actually true anymore

Trends-in-public-opinion-on-immigration-

EDIT: Sorry that isn't the actual graph I wanted to show, there is a newer one that includes the next two years where the trends shown here have continued and the blue lines are now above the red lines

EDIT2: See Blandy's post above

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bickster said:

Every Britain registers their address, that is precisely what the electoral roll is.

There is no legal requirement to do so and headlines of just this week suggesting that there were more than 100,000 voter registrations in 48 hours, suggests that not every person does.

Could it become compulsory, yes. Is that a good idea...?

Just now, WhatAboutTheFinish said:

and headlines of just this week suggesting that there were more than 100,000 voter registrations in 48 hours, suggests that not every person does.

That was more about students registering at their term time address in case of a snap election

56 minutes ago, WhatAboutTheFinish said:

It becomes a non-point if we want to become a nation of card carriers, under government surveillance that is refusing medical treatment to those without orderly paperwork and rounding up and deporting the unemployed. 

We knew what we were voting for! Leave means leave!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, blandy said:

Because of first past the post and so many safe seats - for example where I live now has always been Tory. Huge majority of tory voters. It voted leave by 54% to 46%. Labour and Lib Dems tend to come second, alternating and usually each 10,000 or so votes behind the tory. The Tory MP in the past has been exposed by the papers for various "lifestyle" things - rent boys and drugs. Did it affect the majority?  - not one bit. He'll get in again whatever happens with Brexit. It's the same in so many different constituencies - they'll stay Labour, stay Tory and so really there's only a minority of seats up for actual grabs, Labour and the tories will start with eachhaving about 180 - 200 seast minuimum guaranteed as theirs. the other 200 will be shared around. the SNP will romp home in Scotland, so that's a max of 150 seats in play for all the rest of the parties - Plain Cymru in Wales, Lib Dems, Greens, Brexit, UKIP, Tory and Labour.

I think what they could do though is take votes away from the two main parties and I should imagine they would take alot more votes from the Tories than Labour. I read somewhere that the majority of Labour supporters voted remain by a clear majority, but I can't back that up. 

I also think this is why Johnson is being so authoritarian and pro No Deal, so he can recover some votes from the Brexit party. What he risks doing is losing all of his remain voters to the Lib Dems and still losing a lot of voters to the Brexit party. 

Will the Brexit party win an election? Holy crap, I hope not, but this is a mental country. 

2 minutes ago, WhatAboutTheFinish said:

There is no legal requirement to do so and headlines of just this week suggesting that there were more than 100,000 voter registrations in 48 hours, suggests that not every person does.

I had to do it when I moved to Germany, and again when I left.

Other than sitting in a boring waiting room it had zero impact on my life.

30 minutes ago, blandy said:

Brexit has become the defining issue , it's the most talked about political issue since I can remember. They may not win outright but they will win millions of votes from the 52% who feel betrayed by labour and the conservatives. 

5 minutes ago, WhatAboutTheFinish said:

It's hardly tyrannical for the government to know where you live, is it? 

3 minutes ago, PompeyVillan said:

It's hardly tyrannical for the government to know where you live, is it? 

They have to be able to send you you tax and benefits assessments every year, so by working and paying tax or claiming benefits they also know where you live

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

You obviously don't speak to the same people I speak to. 

That's obviously true because everyone and I mean everyone I talk to defends Brexit, deal or no deal. The majority of these people work in an industry that would be devastated by a no deal Brexit, they would lose their jobs within months. Their beliefs are intrenched, with leaving being their only aim, I wish I was joking .

Financial versions of  suicide bombers, they will be right until their standing their in pants without a pot to piss in but they will have their Brexit !

Â