The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

14 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Been happening for months. EU punishment narrative, EU negotiating in bad faith...

Also has an added stabbed in the back narrative for shits and giggles too.

Some of the comments online to this story are downright scary... Just a select few that tickled me.

"We don't need them" - Tell that to their employees
"There's only one reason a French company has its wings made here. It's because it can't make them in France." - That's right. I'm sure the French are incapable of manufacturing an aircraft wing. Bravo
"Yes the uncertainty is a disgrace - and why? Because those who refuse to accept they lost have undermined the result and the Govt, who have been incompetent in negotiations." - Of course! It's all our fault you voted to overturn 40 years of British trade policy and thought there'd be no consequences
"How dare this arrogant company undermine our democracy and the will of its people." - Yes, how dare they attempt protect their shareholders interests. It's just not capitalism...oh wait...
"Good luck to Airbus finding a skilled workforce that they would need to replace the UK based service!!" - I'm sure those incapable foreigners are capable of making items other than cheese and wine.

3 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

Some of the comments online to this story are downright scary... Just a select few that tickled me.

"We don't need them" - Tell that to their employees
"There's only one reason a French company has its wings made here. It's because it can't make them in France." - That's right. I'm sure the French are incapable of manufacturing an aircraft wing. Bravo
"Yes the uncertainty is a disgrace - and why? Because those who refuse to accept they lost have undermined the result and the Govt, who have been incompetent in negotiations." - Of course! It's all our fault you voted to overturn 40 years of British trade policy and thought there'd be no consequences
"How dare this arrogant company undermine our democracy and the will of its people." - Yes, how dare they attempt protect their shareholders interests. It's just not capitalism...oh wait...
"Good luck to Airbus finding a skilled workforce that they would need to replace the UK based service!!" - I'm sure those incapable foreigners are capable of making items other than cheese and wine.

Usual stuff.

As was said in the podcast I mentioned earlier - there's nothing unique about the soil in England that means companies are forced to operate here and only here, there's nothing special about the water in England that makes it a business environment that can't be replicated elsewhere if it becomes commercially prudent to do so.

43 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

It makes perfect sense, they're thick :lol:  

I mean, people who don't realise that the companies they work for are a result of the partnership of the UK/EU, deserve everything they get.  These will be the people driving around in decent cars, living in their 400 grand houses they bought for 10k in the 90s. 

**** em :D 

They're not thick though. That's why it's so frustrating.

There's 7 of us in our corner. 

Everyone's got degrees. 2 are qualified solicitors. One is a former HMRC employee and is an "expert" on compliance and tariffs and all that (it's his job).
There is one grumpy old gammon baby boomer so I'd expect it from him. But they're all pro brexit

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

They're not thick though. That's why it's so frustrating.

Many aren't (generally I mean).

But they are often uninformed. The vast vast majority of those who are informed consider leaving to be a bad idea. Not all, but most.

Of the uninformed, the divide is the opposite.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, blandy said:

Many aren't (generally I mean).

But they are often uninformed. The vast vast majority of those who are informed consider leaving to be a bad idea. Not all, but most.

Of the uninformed, the divide is the opposite.

Whenever I try to inform them I just get the usual.

"wellll nobody really knows what will happen"

YES THEY DO! They are literally telling you what will (most likely) happen.

I hate people.

3 hours ago, desensitized43 said:

Unfortunately, I think some of those people are going to need to feel the pain before they realise what they've done. 

They won't though. They'll blame the EU, or the government for not getting us a good deal, or probably the people who wanted to stay. They like doing that.

They'll never admit that they made the wrong choice, that's one of the most frustrating parts.

Guy next to me just keeps saying "it's Y2K all over again. Load of fuss about nothing. It'll be fine"

He works for me. I might sack him and blame the EU.

The Y2K analogy is **** brainless.

Y2K was less of a thing because for years prior experts and businesses worked to prevent it being a thing.

With Brexit, the experts and businesses are on the sidelines pointing out all the issues while being unable to do anything about it, whilst the people in control are too busy worrying about other aspects of the thing to do anything about it. And idiots all over decry the experts as heretics and actively try to oppose them.

• Like 1

Just now, Chindie said:

Y2K was less of a thing because for years prior experts and businesses worked to prevent it being a thing.

With Brexit, the experts and businesses are on the sidelines pointing out all the issues while being unable to do anything about it, whilst the people in control are too busy worrying about other aspects of the thing to do anything about it. And idiots all over decry the experts as heretics and actively try to oppose them.

This is always my response, more or less. It falls on deaf ears.

22 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Not to mention the whole Y2K thing cost over $350 billion. 

36 minutes ago, Chindie said:

The word expert is a dog whistle for switch off brain

Â