The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

17 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Having been critical of May a few days ago because of her apparent reluctance to reach out to the Labour front bench, I have to question what on earth Corbnyn is playing at with the 'rule out no deal or we won't even talk to you' stance.

Well, I know what he's playing at - he's trying to give himself a reason to say that it's her fault that he wasn't able to even consider sitting down with her but it does rather confirm that getting out of this mess is of much less importance to him than trying to find a way to another election and it also suggests that he wouldn't be the best person to head up any sort of negotiation on behalf of the UK.

They're both rubbish. At this moment, I'm not sure who is more so.

Judging them purely on the ability to be a political leader, then Corbyn is streets ahead in the rubbishness game.  He just doesn't "get it".  May has been hopeless, but Corbyn never passes up an opportunity to miss an open goal.  Last night, when May was giving her 10pm statement, she praised all the other party leaders, then stick the knife in to Corbyn.  The end result being that she looks like she's being reasonable, the other leaders all look like they're trying to 'put the country first' and Magic Grandpa looks like he's playing politics, and Labour stay behind the Conservatives when they should be streets ahead.  All unfair of coarse, but that's what you get when you have a complete numpty like Corbyn in charge.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Having been critical of May a few days ago because of her apparent reluctance to reach out to the Labour front bench, I have to question what on earth Corbnyn is playing at with the 'rule out no deal or we won't even talk to you' stance.

Well, I know what he's playing at - he's trying to give himself a reason to say that it's her fault that he wasn't able to even consider sitting down with her but it does rather confirm that getting out of this mess is of much less importance to him than trying to find a way to another election and it also suggests that he wouldn't be the best person to head up any sort of negotiation on behalf of the UK.

They're both rubbish. At this moment, I'm not sure who is more so.

Jimmy Crankie has said pretty much the same as St Jeremy of Oswestry

• Thanks 1

That's what I don't get.  All the focus seems to be on what Corbyn is or isn't doing rather than the people actually in control of this mess (as further cemented last night).

Was there any focus on the Tories for the Iraq war despite only 2 of their MPS voting against it?

1 minute ago, Wainy316 said:

That's what I don't get.  All the focus seems to be on what Corbyn is or isn't doing rather than the people actually in control of this mess (as further cemented last night).

Was there any focus on the Tories for the Iraq war despite only 2 of their MPS voting against it?

I think there was some but I also think the situation is a little different as there is likely to be less focus on an opposition if they're in opposition to a government with a majority.

But ultimately, Corbyn, whilst leading a piss poor opposition, is not responasible for May's piss poor Premiership.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Britain was more broken , more divided under Thatcher than it ever is now , it's just the vocal minority

Social media has effectivley rugby tackled democracy as we all knew it and the current set of politicians are powerless to combat it currently IMO.  They didn't even see it coming.

Anyone with a mobile has a voice now and can skew any reasonable argument to their own ends.

I think you are correct about the 80's but there was no widespread communication except the news or the papers at the time.  She was (Thatcher) lucky in that respect.

On 09/01/2019 at 23:04, OutByEaster? said:

[snip]

have no doubt that three days later she'll present Plan B which will look very much like Plan A, maybe in a different font and  .....

[/snip]

28 minutes ago, Genie said:

So, what’s plan B then? 

A change of font on the paperwork maybe.

Don't forget to collect the royalties cheque :P  @OutByEaster?

Edited by tonyh29
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Risso said:

Judging them purely on the ability to be a political leader, then Corbyn is streets ahead in the rubbishness game.  He just doesn't "get it".  May has been hopeless, but Corbyn never passes up an opportunity to miss an open goal.  Last night, when May was giving her 10pm statement, she praised all the other party leaders, then stick the knife in to Corbyn.  The end result being that she looks like she's being reasonable, the other leaders all look like they're trying to 'put the country first' and Magic Grandpa looks like he's playing politics, and Labour stay behind the Conservatives when they should be streets ahead.  All unfair of coarse, but that's what you get when you have a complete numpty like Corbyn in charge.

Leaving aside where they sit, politically. In terms of actual capabilities, strengths, weaknesses, judgement, intelligence etc. Corbyn is worse than May, but not much. I'd say Corbyn is completely incapable, dim, incompetent, has appalling judgement and doesn't understand the world as it is. May is a control freak of very limited ability, with no ability to interact with anyone who isn't almost exactly like her. She is willfully closed minded with a seeming seething hatred of anyone who isn't a home counties middle class tory member.  A pair of less competent leaders it'd be hard to find anywhere.

Lucky us.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

going a bit OT but there is an interesting read about it here ( source being a Tory one so add salt as required)

But the main reason why most Tories ultimately fell into line was that they felt they had no choice but to believe the Prime Minister when he said he had intelligence reports proving Saddam had WMDs. True, not all Tories who voted for war believed Blair: Peter Lilley, the former deputy leader, studied the documents and concluded that Blair was ‘probably telling fibs on this one’, but satisfied himself that a case could be made to remove Saddam on humanitarian grounds. Similarly, Patrick Mercer, chairman of the Commons defence committee, although privy to intelligence briefings from the Ministry of Defence, came to the same conclusion on WMDs as Robin Cook and President Putin but voted for war because he was convinced of Iraq’s links to global terrorism. But the majority of Tory MPs chose to believe Blair. 

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

Literally nobody said that. And you know I wouldn't make such a black and white statement.

tbf Risso kinda suggested it it in his post and It was him i was channelling with my reply  , I wasn't intentionally putting false words in your mouth so my bad if it looked that way

2 minutes ago, snowychap said:

The compromise is, err...

Giving opposition parties time to persuade their MPs to agree that May's dead deal is the bestest deal in the whole wide world ever times infinity no backsies.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Also on Parliamentary business:

So that's more fuel to the fire of demanding an A50 extension as that's another week or more when they won't be preparing the way for leaving in any form.

There is something like 26 days of Parliamentary business before we leave, in which around six months worth of legislation essential to us leaving needs to be voted upon.

• Like 1

Â