The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

39 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Seriously?......

You are a hedge find manager right?

Yes and no.

Obviously we have a very different take on all this, but I'd make a large bet that your post scores one or two more recommends than mine!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, blandy said:

Us little people, we barely enter their consideration.

A Torytopian UK and a Trump/Putin/Jinpingtopian World.

Who wants to buy an island? One that won't become submerged in rising sea levels.

• Like 4

It's interesting how all of this toing and froing about in, out, shake it all about is distracting everyone while the NHS is privatised by starvation.

I mean, people are aware but there aren't marches on parliament etc and we've never had people dying in corridors before because there's literally no more room for them.

• Like 3

And somehow, while they get away with that, blanket internet surveillance, and talk about abolishing the HRA, people start shouting about tuition fees as soon as you mention the Lib Dems.

Basically, I think most people just accept that tories are words removed, and expect no better. 

Edited by Davkaus

12 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

You make a good point. This couldn't have come around at a better time for the Toies and they couldn't have planned it better.

They're exploiting Butcher Blair's disastrous PFI deals alas, but this is OT.

3 minutes ago, villaglint said:

Trouble is even if they do think that "most people" still end up voting for them.

Point of order - They don't, though. The tories got just under 37% of those who voted in the last election. Just under 60% of those who voted voted for "not tory" parties and there were also a small number of votes for independents.

the turnout was something like 66%.So all in all 24% of those elligible to vote, voted for a tory.

The tories won more than half the seats available on that 24%.

Broken system. less than a quarter of the country votes for them and they get pretty much free reign on the back of it.

• Like 1

Ha... very true.

On a side note just been reading an old book called Irony of American History by Reinhold Neibuhr. Among many points one thing he raises is how in a democracy there is a responsibility on the citizen to educate themselves as to the sophistication of the choices ahead of them. If they don't do this the system can be no better than an authoritarian one. 

Broken system indeed. Be interesting to see how it reacts to the big stresses that will be imminently applied from multiple angles. 

Edited by villaglint

1 hour ago, blandy said:

the turnout was something like 66%.So all in all 24% of those elligible to vote, voted for a tory.

ITYM 24% of those registered to vote. Not eligible to vote.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, darrenm said:

It's interesting how all of this toing and froing about in, out, shake it all about is distracting everyone while the NHS is privatised by starvation.

I mean, people are aware but there aren't marches on parliament etc and we've never had people dying in corridors before because there's literally no more room for them.

Sure we have, early 90's. You know, the last time these barstewards were in power.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, blandy said:

They're not eligible if they're not registered :) but yes, that.

I've just checked and you're right. The electorate is defined as the people eligible to vote so I guess there is the registered electorate and the unregistered electorate. You were talking about the registered electorate. I've spent since you posted the above trying to find out how many people are in the "unregistered electorate" count. I'm sure it's somewhere on ONS but I'm giving up and having a drink.

• Like 1

It's maybe semantics, but the electorate is the people entitled to vote. To be entitled you have to registered. There is no unregistered electorate. Those who would be entitled if only they were registered are not part of the electorate in any sense.

1 hour ago, blandy said:

It's maybe semantics, but the electorate is the people entitled to vote. To be entitled you have to registered. There is no unregistered electorate. Those who would be entitled if only they were registered are not part of the electorate in any sense.

I disagree. You can be entitled to vote but not register. Someone who has moved house but not yet registered on the electoral roll at the new property is still entitled to a vote, but they aren't registered. Dunno.

Â