When is the right time to protest?

dont_do_it_doug.

Time to protest? #OutTheDoorOn74  

28 members have voted

1. 1. When is the right time for protest?

• NOW!
    • After relegation is confirmed.
    • Never

After we appointed McLeish IMO there isn't a right time

You can cheer, you can stay away, you can stop your feet, you can chant our owner is a word removed, you can call everyone a word removed as they get on a bus, you can spray something on your bed sheets

None of it matters

The guy at the top does not care

• Like 1

I think a protest of some sort now is fine, but I'd worry that an in-game protest might be more counterproductive than it is productive, at the moment, whilst technically we still have a chance of survival. 

But then again all this talk !light have a positive affect on the team, I hope so.

The options are.After Never...thats just silly.

Now.....The sooner we can get the message across the better.

After relegation is confirmed....Then is the time for a stronger protest, eg witholding your hard earned whichever way you think is best. 

The question is how does protest effect anything when the people in charge aren't accountable to the fans in anyway, shape, or form beyond vague notions of what an owner or board or playing staff should do as representatives of a community - though as football has effectively been ripped from the community and handed over to the world of high finance, this is no longer the case either. Any protest can only ever be a symbolic gesture and I suppose now is a good time for it as the club is in a dire situation. To show anger and unhappiness with the current situation is all that can be done at this point.

I think long term fans either have to decide between accepting football as a product or reclaiming it as something more.

Pity it's only happening now when relegation finally looks inevitable, but sadly apathy took over Villa years ago and fans just sat there and took every bit of crap thrown in their direction from the disgraceful Lerner. Where did all those pro-active fans go that used to pounce on Ellis when he as much broke wind? It's a sad state of affairs that we've let the humiliated of Villa over the last 6 seasons fester, but I fully support the walk out on 74. It's about time we remembered what a great club Aston Villa is. 

Leicester fan in peace, I'm not going to preach about what you should or shouldn't do. But what kept us up last season was the attitude the fans and in turn the players showed from the West Ham game on wards. Before that we'd been on an 8 game win less run, in those games you could sense the nerves and also anger in the crowd and that will translate to the players.

Come the West Ham game there was almost a sense of "we're down", or "this is the last chance". It coincided with the owners providing the clappers (cringe cringe), yeah I know. But what they did was create some noise, they drowned out the negativity, players were no longer playing in silence or a negative atmosphere, with each mistake groaned and moaned at.

The players seemed free of the pressure inside the stadium and the atmosphere grew as the fans saw the players responding to a positive backing. It grew game on game, and the rest is history. Without a shadow of doubt, the fans played a major part of survival.

Personally, for me you're reaching the same point we were at and I think your best shot is with a united front. Of course you don't forget what's gone on at your place, with awful management from the top. But I think that could be shelved for a few months, I'm sure they know how you feel already. But backing the team at this moment, for me is your best shot. Create a wall of noise and a positive atmosphere, strange things can happen... the last year has shown me anything is possible.

Good luck!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ChrisVillan said:

I think if the people protesting had any hope left then there would be no protest for now.

Absolutely this. 

Forget the maths, the squad is rotten. The club are waving the flag at all levels, this is NOTHING like Leicester of last season. 

8 minutes ago, ChrisVillan said:

Our best shot at what?

Staying in the league.

As for losing hope, I know it's hard but until it's a mathematical impossibility then there should be some hope. We're proof in the pudding of that.

I've got 3 or 4 mates who are Villa fans and I hope you do it for their sake. It could easily enough have been me right now as they tried to convert me as a kid. One of the first games I went to as a kid was a turgid 0-0 against Everton at your place. I think that made my mind up!

Is the squad rotten though?

We have a load of promising, young players with massive potential. The issue is that we have too many 'potential' talents and not enough Premier League standard. Instead of buying all 'potential' last summer, we could have swapped a few Veretouts for a couple of Johnny Evans.

To me, the main thing we should be protesting about, is the lack of ambition and spending.

3 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Absolutely this. 

Forget the maths, the squad is rotten. The club are waving the flag at all levels, this is NOTHING like Leicester of last season. 

I appreciate the differences, but will it help them in any way having a hostile atmosphere? I know it's heart breaking to see people who don't give a shit from top to bottom.

Â