What team will we see next season?

AndyBM

On 17/04/2016 at 11:11, sexbelowsound said:

Yeah, people hoping for a mass clear out will probably be upset at what will likely happen.

Richards, Lescott, Gueye, Veretout, Nzogbia, Ayew are my picks to certainly leave

Id keep Amavi, Vertout, Traore, Grealish the rest can **** off. Youngsters can fill the team. Players like Suliman, Baker, Clark, Lyden, Greene, Gardner will thrive playing week in week out in the Championship

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm surprised you'd keep Veretout and not Gana.

Neither have been great, but Gana's been easily the better performer of the two, imo.

it's because Gana's been ok in small measures that we will have no chance of keeping him, his tosswad agent is already pimping him out.

Vertout has shown glimpses of ability that could flourish in the Championship, but the mere fact he has failed is the reason he might stay.

any semblance of obvious talent we have will be picked off the moment the transfer window opens.

Edited by VillanousOne

1 hour ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

Managed by Eric Black

lineup.png

I think a lot of those players will be sold - the club is scaling back. I fear it will be a much more youthful team next season with frees and loans bulking up the squad, which will struggle.

It's a little off topic but I think this is the only current 16/17 thread. I always remember getting on the bus after an early game in our last season in the second division and seeing a guy wearing a mock rock tour t-shirt. .  Aston Villa division 2 tour 1987-88. Then on the back had the fixture list. Made me laugh 

So this is my assessment of the team this year and who I think should stay and who should go. I don’t think they are going to do anything spectacular over the last 4 games given what we have seen and so feel pretty confident can do the summing up now. Whilst we will probably never know the full story, to me it seems like the “French players” have promise but were not ready to play consistently this season and the “English players” just didn’t care and have been liabilities. The combination (alongside A LOT of other issues) has meant we have been abject this season and only existed in the premier league to give all the other teams 6 points and the only way we have got any points is through the others lack rather than our own skill.

FWIW, out of the current squad quite simply if they all left I wouldn’t be devastated. I do think most of them could be replaced and we could most likely (with proper investment…!) improve on them. However it’s important to remember that, whatever happens in the summer there will be personnel changes regardless and it depends on how many can be shipped on/can engineer a move themselves. IMO I think the players can be split into 3 categories:

1. Wouldn’t mind staying but if go then fair enough and I hope they do well;
  2.  Think would be better to go but if stay then can do a job in the Championship; and

3. Really hope they are gone because I do not want to see them in a Villa shirt again.

Most of the youth players I think are unfair to put through as still very much learning and also I do not know enough about the youth team to fairly judge them. So players in the respective categories (IMO) are as follows:-

Wouldn’t mind staying but if go then fair enough and I hope they do well

Okore – maybe engineering his own move anyway and has not been great this season, however there is promise there and I think there is a good centre back in there. However wouldn’t be surprised he went at all.

Clark – not been great in the premiership but appears to have qualities to be a decent squad player in the Championship. Should be allowed to stay (unless a decent offer came in – come on Ireland at the Euro’s!).

Gueye – has tried and has been decent at times, one of the few shining lights of the season and as such likely to picked up by someone else. However clear he could do a job in the Championship.

Vertout – see Gueye. Has shone quite as much but I can certainly see determination and fight and would be happy for him to stay.

Ayew – has been very promising at times and likely to be poached by another team. Still has discipline issues (see West Ham) but those things could be ironed out. If stays will definitely be useful next year.

Hutton – he has been poor over the years and a liability. I have been a massive critic and don’t think he is good enough on the pitch. HOWEVER what is clear is that he gives his all on the pitch and this season that has been very clear. There is some skill there and I do think he is definitely good enough for the Championship.

Amavi – shame he got injured. Clear there is some talent there. If can keep hold of him (given lack of playing time more likely) then great – think he will be good in the Championship.

Gil – still a tricky player and has definitely got skill. At least he tries also, always appreciate some bloody effort. Think he can be good in the Championship.

Bunn – has been decent enough when played but not sure whether he could be first choice in Championship. Certainly ok for back up though.
Gestede – has not been good enough in premier league that’s clear. Would help if we played to his strengths mind but still doesn’t have anything else to his game. However clear he is good enough for the Championship and that experience will be useful to say the least in the Championship. I do not think any premier league team would want him after this season so expecting him to stay and to be a first teamer (with hopefully some decent wingers playing!).

Grealish – definite potential and certainly not the finished article. Has had a poor season on and off the pitch (and been a complete idiot at times) but definitely able to be a part of the team.

Cissokho – was frozen out by Sherwood and has been called back because of lack of options. Has been decent enough and I think could be a good option in the Championship. Whether he wants to stay would be another question though, however I don’t think he is the flaw in the defence (though has made mistakes, not as bad as others). Him and Amavi staying I think means that our left back position would be covered and actually decent?!

Baker – not watched him at Bristol City but has played a lot of games for them (34 I believe) and they are most likely safe for this season (need 1 more point). Certainly promise there and could also be a decent squad player.

Steer – same as Baker. Not watched at Huddersfield but again has played a lot of matches (34 also) and they also are done decent enough this season (safely mid table). As such clear he can be of use in the Championship, whether that is first choice or back up I am not sure but there is something there at least.

Gardner – see Baker and Steer. Not played as many (17) but seems to have done OK for them. Hasn’t stunned the league by other’s accounts but could still be of use to us next season.  

Think it would be better to go but if stay then can do a job in the Championship

Guzan – has been a complete liability this season. Not helped by what’s in front of him but nonetheless has been liable for a number of goals this season. If he got confidence/form back will be good in the Championship, however now might be a good chance for him to split and go off to new ventures wherever they may be.

Bacuna – I liked Bacuna. Thought he tried for the team and worked hard. That comment though was utterly, utterly stupid. Yes of course he would want to play in the Champions League, that’s a no brainer. However don’t say it in a bloody interview. Think he could help out in the Championship but would the fans forgive him? Unlikely given the reaction so far. If he does stay I would hope he was given a fair chance by all and is allowed to take free kicks again (remember them?).

Westwood – like Guzan has completely lost form and confidence this season. Was OK beforehand but not sparkling, a decent squad player, not a first team week in week out as he has been treated as. Could have done with time on the side-lines to get form back this year but wasn’t given the opportunity. Think he and we could benefit from a fresh start, however if he was to stay there is certainly potential to get to what he was and he could become a good player for the Championship.

Adama – not played enough to warrant a real opinion, however clear that there is skill there but it needs honing. Could be very useful in the Championship, HOWEVER, if talk of him going to be on £40-60K a week despite relegation – is he really worth it? If he singlehandedly got us promoted then of course but I haven’t seen the evidence and it is on that basis that I would rather see him go simply to reduce the wage bill vastly. He can’t stay if he is on that. If he does however I really hope he can become the player he promises to be.

Sanchez – struggling to place him. Hasn’t really played enough and to be honest we have a better player in his position anyway (!!!). Think all could benefit from moving on particularly if we keep Gueye but if he does stay then so be it. Maybe a decent squad player at the least.  

Kozak – struggled with injury ever since he joined. When he has played this season clear not up to scratch fitness wise, but at least he tried. He might find it better going off and trying to resurrect his career elsewhere. If he did stay though he would probably have more chances in the Championship and could be useful to club. At least he bloody tries.

Really hope they are gone because I do not want to see them in a Villa shirt again.

Richards – team captain and still struggles to get into this team? Clearly has a bad attitude. Is wholly unreliable as a centre back. Right back better but again defensively poor. I would rather Hutton, Bacuna or a blind monkey play there instead. Clearly not interested and needs to leave, particularly as I imagine his wages are farcical.

Sinclair – what is the matter with him? How does he keep getting picked? Just doesn’t really do anything? Do not think he has had a bad attitude or certainly not seen anything to suggest that, however I am just perplexed by him. He might be able to do a job in the Championship but quite frankly I have no faith in that.

Agbonlahor – done nothing for 5 years. Disrespectful to the club he loves and right now is a complete waste of space. Such a shame because if he focused and tried to be a better footballer he could have been a Villa legend. Now that is ruined.

Lescott – a liability both on and off the pitch. Has done a very convincing job of not being a Villa fan. Quite simply appears to be here for the money and will likely go in the summer anyway. Should have been the rock to stabilise the defence but has crumbled instead.

Richardson – see Sinclair. Why is he playing now? I don’t get it and really, really poor. Another symbol of this poor, poor Villa side. Get rid.

N’Zogbia – must be gone. Was given a 2nd reprieve early into Garde’s stay and stuck 2 fingers back at him. Clear here for the money and will be gone and good riddance.

Bennett – this isn’t personal. He has absolutely nothing to do with this season at all, however clear previously not been good enough for Premier League and whilst Sheffield Wednesday seem to be doing quite well (play offs) he has played 4 matches. Unfortunately it would appear he is struggling in the Championship and not going to be what we need. I think he needs to go too.

Crespo – has played 1 match and now on loan back to Spain. Whilst it was an impressive beard, quite clear he doesn’t want to be here/not wanted and will almost certainly be back in Spain next season.

So that’s it FWIW. Disagree/don’t read because it’s really long I don’t mind. Clear we will need new players to replace the truly horrific and to strengthen squad for bigger season. Line ups if those in the top list stay could be as follows for 4-4-2:-

New GK/Bunn/Steer

Hutton/Bacuna – Clark/Baker – Okore/New CB – Amavi/Cissokho

Gil/New RW – Veretout/Gardner/New CM – Gueye/New CM – Grealish/New LW

Ayew/New F – Gestede/New ST

Of course could easily be 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-1 or 4-3-3 etc. but with a few good additions we could still be a decent side in the Championship. Depending on investment we COULD bounce straight back. Remember even this team has beaten a “decent” Championship side (SHA) and there are clearly strong teams and weaker teams too. What is clear is that it is a highly competitive league but if we invest right and get the right manager/coaches in then we will be competitive and *may* even get promoted straight away.

Then again we still have Lerner as it stands and with those letters it is very clear something is not right at all…

Reassessed line up. I now think there will be a takeover but we won't have much to spend beyond one or two 'quality' players to help get us out. I also expect a lot of players to go but those on lower wages will stay.

lineup2.png

So, Joey O'Brien & Robson-Kanu in on free transfers. Money spent on Matt Phillips.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

5 minutes ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

Reassessed line up. I now think there will be a takeover but we won't have much to spend beyond one or two 'quality' players to help get us out. I also expect a lot of players to go but those on lower wages will stay.

lineup2.png

So, Joey O'Brien & Robson-Kanu in on free transfers. Money spent on Matt Phillips.

What a time to be alive!

• Like 2