What team will we see next season?

AndyBM

• 2 months later...

the only way I see the old guard going is if we have a brilliant start to the season and some lesser premier league teams like e.g Burnley, Watford etc have horrid starts and need to panic buy

sadly its the only way I see it

• Like 1

20 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Still a lot of the transfer window to go. I would be amazed if we can't shift any of the old guard. 

We seem to be linked to shifting players but they are our average/half decent types. 

Not even Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder would take our shit ones, and to be fair we have more than a fair share of them.

Think I recall RDM saying he'd want as close as possible to the squad for the season by the first game. So I'm interested to see that first team he picks 

I honestly believe we will have a new striker in time for the season opener and the Morrison rumours seem to have gathered pace with him signing up to follow the club's social media and players.

I don't think we'll see a glut of players coming in now but will see more leave.

RDM appears to favour the 4-2-3-1 formation too.

As I see it, our options are pretty much this

.........................................Gollini (Bunn) (Plus Guzan*, Steer)

Hutton (New RB) Elphick (Okore) Baker (Clark*) Cissokho (Amavi) (plus Lescott*, Bennett, Richards*)

......................Gana (Tshibola) Westwood (Gardner) (plus Lyden, Sanchez*)

Ayew (Green).............Morrison? (Ayew)........Grealish (Sinclair*) (Plus Bacuna,Traore*, Gabby*)

..................................New Striker (Gestede) (plus Kozak, RDM, Davis)

Players with * are linked with moves away.

I'd like us to get in another RB, 2x creative midfielders (Morrison and another) and at least 1 striker.

I don't believe for one minute we'll storm the league with that squad, however if they knuckle down and apply themselves we should be in the mix at the end of the season for promotion. I'd take 6th place and winning the play-off final right now.

When I first saw the line-up last night, subject to any outgoings (Gana, Veretout), I thought this is probably what RDM sees as his strongest team. Hopefully a few lessons were learned. Will be interesting to see any tweaks made for the next friendly.

4 minutes ago, jonno_2004 said:

When I first saw the line-up last night, subject to any outgoings (Gana, Veretout), I thought this is probably what RDM sees as his strongest team. Hopefully a few lessons were learned. Will be interesting to see any tweaks made for the next friendly.

I saw it as playing a lot of the French players due to their experience in that league to be honest.

For the next friendly, I think RDM will rotate the team to get all players valuable playing time under the belts.

As for the season ahead, I think Gresford will start on the left and also expect Gestede, Veretout, Bacuna and possibly Gana out of the starting line-up come the opening league game.

Edited by theboyangel

1 hour ago, jonno_2004 said:

It was no where near his strongest team and RDM likely already knew that. He knows that things appear to happen when Grealish and Green are on the pitch. He left them out likely to see what happens when they aren't on the pitch. Same goes for leaving out Tshibola. I think RDM knows our strongest line up but he's trying to gauge just how weak the weak links are by playing them without good players next to them. I mean Veretout could look world class next to Green and Grealish, but you take them away and he barely does anything for 45 minutes. 

Our strongest line up based on pre-season is likely..

--------------- Gollini ----------------

Hutton - Elphick - Baker - Amavi*

------- Tshibola - Gardner --------

---- Green - Ayew - Grealish ----

--------------- Davis ----------------

* I included Amavi because once 100% fit he's the best Left Back in the Championship by a mile.

If I would make any changes it would be a new Right Back. Hutton is alright he gets the job done but I just want something new like when we had Kyle Walker on loan. I would like to get 'Morrison' in as a solid Attacking Midfielder. Someone like 'Kodjia' upfront. Keinan Davis has had a stellar pre-season but largely unproven at Championship level, so I would like at least one proven Championship striker like Kodjia to offer competition to the likes of Ayew, Davis, Hepburn-Murphy etc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

........................................Gollini (Bunn) (Plus Guzan*, Steer)

Hutton (New RB) Elphick (Okore) Baker (Clark*) Cissokho (Amavi) (plus Lescott*, Bennett, Richards*)

......................Gana (Tshibola) Westwood (Gardner) (plus Lyden, Sanchez*)

Ayew (Green).............Morrison? (Ayew)........Grealish (Sinclair*) (Plus Bacuna,Traore*, Gabby*)

..................................New Striker (Gestede) (plus Kozak, RDM, Davis)

Players with * are linked with moves away.

Just hope the players with * are moved, but I just have this sickening feeling that we won't see any of them moving. Hope I'm wrong!

• Like 1

Big problem for me is players who can at least add freshness and unpredictability to our attacks e.g. Amavi, Adama and Grealish have all barely figured in pre season.

Adama and Amavi haven't played a minute of pre season yet so don't see either starting in Sheffield.

Grealish has played a bit more but disappointed he didn't start last night seeing as RDM said he'd be key player this season.

8 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Big problem for me is players who can at least add freshness and unpredictability to our attacks e.g. Amavi, Adama and Grealish have all barely figured in pre season.

Adama and Amavi haven't played a minute of pre season yet so don't see either starting in Sheffield.

Grealish has played a bit more but disappointed he didn't start last night seeing as RDM said he'd be key player this season.

I wouldn't read too much into last night's starting XI - think he went for French league experience over preferred choice in the first half.

Amavi is being eased back into things, would hope he gets some minutes against Cambridge and Boro but don't see Traore sticking around for long.

Officially, according to Gregg Evans, yes Traore is injured. 

I can't help but think there's more to it than that though. There's something going on with that lad and the club. Whether he fell out with someone early on, or there's some rising fee per appearances issue the club are worried about. 

I'd like to think new owner, new manager, new slate, but until we see him back in the fold I will still suspect something's not right. And he still seems miles from the first team at the moment. 

• Like 3

Well 2 weeks today... 

-------------- Guzan ----------------

Richards - Lescot - Clarke - Cissokho

------- Westwood - Gana --------

---- Bacuna - Ayew - Gabby ----

------------ Gestede---------------- 

We Go Again!..

Edited by Kingman

15 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Well 2 weeks today... 

-------------- Guzan ----------------