Villans Abroad and The Championship

villan_007

Leeds have spent a while out of the top flight and for the time being have lost their lustre. I don't think we can look to them and their media coverage for clues as to the exposure we might have next season. 

9 hours ago, DRAGONZ_RULE said:

Hi guys, first post on this site! 

I'm a Leeds fan living in Sydney, and it's basically impossible to see them play on TV more than about once every 6-8 weeks. I am able to listen to them over internet radio, but it's so different to watching on TV and I generally choose to watch Premier League matches instead. 

There is a weekly highlights show for the Championship on Foxtel, from memory about 6.30pm on Monday nights. I normally manage to find a brief highlights package on the net somewhere on the weekend though, and I work later than 6.30 anyway so don't watch the Foxtel show. 

It will will the same for you guys too I would imagine... So I reckon you need to hope that you do a Leicester in the last 2.5 months and miraculously stay up!

:excl: leeds fan about :)

On Wednesday, February 17, 2016 at 13:07, Marka Ragnos said:

I'm in a similar situation, and I have to tell you, it's much more grim than I first imagined. Relegation matters. People have suggested various work-arounds, but at the end of the day, the thing no one will seem to admit to is that AV are going to be a shadow of their former selves in terms of international presence.

I have tried to follow championship teams before and it's truly catch as catch can -- and there just are a lot fewer opportunities. There will be less media across the board. Even many of the fan forums in the championship are a lot less well-developed and a lot more provincial .

The logistics change radically. Unless Villa does something special and new, I fear that relegation will destroy AV's puny international brand. De-****-stroy it, mate.

Sorry to be such a downer, but I'm angry about it, tbh. Once again, if the owners had shown more foresight long ago and paid attention, they would have grasped exactly how damaging relegation would be in terms of the global following.

I thought I had a solution worked out for myself, but I was wrong and now I'm back to square one. Again, keeping fingers crossed something new happens. 

I suggest trying to follow a championship club and see what you can figure out. Come back here and share any insights. It's hard to get any decent advice from UK-based supporters, I've found, because they don't have  the same situations, and it's hard to generalize from country to country, too.

I am Villa supporter and live down under and I know how to watch all championship games, but im unsure if I am able to give the website I use (if you understand what I mean) so before I say anymore can anyone clarify if I am doing anything wrong by mentioning the website please....

Im sorry but I will be breaking this sites rules so I won't comment further. 

Edited by Villan_of_oz
i realised i was going to mention something against the site rules and regulations

9 hours ago, mwj said:

surely based on what? 

that's assuming sky, bein etc would agree to undercut the biggest drawcard of their championship rights deals that they paid good money for 

wont have anything to do with Sky if its just overseas fans able to watch it on the Villa website, it be hardly Sky market audience

11 hours ago, DRAGONZ_RULE said:

Hi guys, first post on this site! 

I'm a Leeds fan living in Sydney, and it's basically impossible to see them play on TV more than about once every 6-8 weeks. I am able to listen to them over internet radio, but it's so different to watching on TV and I generally choose to watch Premier League matches instead. 

There is a weekly highlights show for the Championship on Foxtel, from memory about 6.30pm on Monday nights. I normally manage to find a brief highlights package on the net somewhere on the weekend though, and I work later than 6.30 anyway so don't watch the Foxtel show. 

It will will the same for you guys too I would imagine... So I reckon you need to hope that you do a Leicester in the last 2.5 months and miraculously stay up!

Am surprised by that. Leeds are on Sky every other week which has lead to Cellino playing up and not wanting them to screen anymore games, think they've been on 11 times this season. QPR also seemed to be on a lot.

Isn't there a channel in Oz that just shows the Sky games?

Further to that as you know I use Bet 365...on that it streams Bundesliga 2, Serie B and Segunda. 

French 2nd division also pops up every friday night.

No real interest in watching any of those leagues but if an English website can stream all those divisions there must be a website out there that streams plenty of championship games.

I suppose it comes down to the question of do you really want to watch every single game we play. For example Man. City away next weekend, I have next to no interest of wanting to watch that live (same for Man. United away) as even when we had top 6 standard teams we'd get battered 4-0 up there.

Won't be going down the pub to watch, will probably put the radio on and instantly switch off again as we go 2 down in 10 mins.

As I've said before next season will have a slightly retro feeling of growing up in the 90s and spending many Saturdays just watching Ceefax before Grandstand final score started at half 4 (didn't get Sky and Soccer Saturday until 98.) I imagine many of us did that back then particularly for away games.

How do some of you lot survive when we play cup games against likes of Leyton Orient and Blackpool with one camera angle and no live tv coverage. You survive those nights and you'll get through next season aswell.

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Am surprised by that. Leeds are on Sky every other week which has lead to Cellino playing up and not wanting them to screen anymore games, think they've been on 11 times this season. QPR also seemed to be on a lot.

Isn't there a channel in Oz that just shows the Sky games?

In short, no.

Sky Sports is owned by BSKyB, whereas Foxtel/Fox Sports is owned by News Corporation. BSkyB don't operate in Australia and don't on-sell Sky Sports channels to Foxtel, so you can't watch it.

The only way to sit and home and watch Sky in Australia is over the internet, using VPNs, subscriptions to UK TV sites and a fast internet connection (Oz is notoriously well behind the developed world in terms of high speed internet!).

Occasionally Championship games will be on-sold to Foxtel, but it's quite rare.

wont have anything to do with Sky if its just overseas fans able to watch it on the Villa website, it be hardly Sky market audience

Unless you've seen contracts or somewhere else outlining the terms of the deal you have absolutely no idea what the Sky deal contains.

Bein Sports has the streaming rights for at least the US, Australia and the Middle East because they advertise it.

So unless the Football League has reserved the right to sell to multiple partners in a territory (which I doubt because they would get a lower price) then existing rights holders will need to agree, but the reality is that none of us know what the deals really contain.

8 hours ago, DRAGONZ_RULE said:

In short, no.

Sky Sports is owned by BSKyB, whereas Foxtel/Fox Sports is owned by News Corporation. BSkyB don't operate in Australia and don't on-sell Sky Sports channels to Foxtel, so you can't watch it.

The only way to sit and home and watch Sky in Australia is over the internet, using VPNs, subscriptions to UK TV sites and a fast internet connection (Oz is notoriously well behind the developed world in terms of high speed internet!).

Occasionally Championship games will be on-sold to Foxtel, but it's quite rare.

Ah interesting chap, would imagine Leeds must've been quite a popular team for Aussies to follow a while ago with the success of Kewell and Viduka so thought they might still get some coverage down there.

Ah interesting chap, would imagine Leeds must've been quite a popular team for Aussies to follow a while ago with the success of Kewell and Viduka so thought they might still get some coverage down there.

They certainly were 10-15 years ago when I was growing up there, but lack of TV coverage for the last decade has killed that

On 26/2/2016 at 07:25, VillaChris said:

Further to that as you know I use Bet 365...on that it streams Bundesliga 2, Serie B and Segunda. 

French 2nd division also pops up every friday night.

No real interest in watching any of those leagues but if an English website can stream all those divisions there must be a website out there that streams plenty of championship games.

I suppose it comes down to the question of do you really want to watch every single game we play. For example Man. City away next weekend, I have next to no interest of wanting to watch that live (same for Man. United away) as even when we had top 6 standard teams we'd get battered 4-0 up there.

Won't be going down the pub to watch, will probably put the radio on and instantly switch off again as we go 2 down in 10 mins.

As I've said before next season will have a slightly retro feeling of growing up in the 90s and spending many Saturdays just watching Ceefax before Grandstand final score started at half 4 (didn't get Sky and Soccer Saturday until 98.) I imagine many of us did that back then particularly for away games.

How do some of you lot survive when we play cup games against likes of Leyton Orient and Blackpool with one camera angle and no live tv coverage. You survive those nights and you'll get through next season aswell.

That's very easy to say when you're not affected by it.

Since moving back to Aus, my Saturday nights were food beers and the footy. Every game when ever I wanted it. Plus being able to chat to my mates who were at the games, kind of watching it together. That's over now.

Early cup games you took on the chin because the coverage is shocking, you could wait for the highlights show at the end of the week.

Now the Villa is just one big highlights show next season.

Some great options being put forward on here, thanks to all for the info.

Edited by villan_007
spelling nazi

On 2/27/2016 at 21:51, VillaChris said:

They are the reason why I chose to support Leeds as a 10 year old kid - Kewell was my hero growing up!

Needless to say, as a 10 year old full of hope for what the future might hold, I didn't think that almost 20 years later I'd be waking up at 6:30am on a Tuesday morning to listen to us go down 4-0 to Brighton and hang precariously above relegation back to the third division :bang:

• Like 3

I have Foxtel now, but I didn't for about 5 years and what that meant was a lot of dodgy internet streams linked by the legends here at Villatalk.

I assume not a lot will change, and on the odd occasion where we are on Foxtel for whatever reason, i'll make an event out of it and catch up with the Adelaide Lions supporters group lads.

Took the car in for a service today and the mechanic, who is a long time Leeds supporter said he watched Leeds lose this morning ( live ) and that he has Bein sports and Leeds is on 12/15 times a season as well as a 1 hour highlites show every week.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DRAGONZ_RULE said:

They are the reason why I chose to support Leeds as a 10 year old kid - Kewell was my hero growing up!

Needless to say, as a 10 year old full of hope for what the future might hold, I didn't think that almost 20 years later I'd be waking up at 6:30am on a Tuesday morning to listen to us go down 4-0 to Brighton and hang precariously above relegation back to the third division :bang:

Fair play, that is real commitment. 

this is going to be well shit. My weekend like many others revolve around football and just being able to see a odd game here and there is pretty heartbreaking. What i fear the most is that after half the season we will be mid table if we are lucky and the occurences of our games being showed live will go down. Even more so the season after, I'm struggling to see us getting promoted on our first go. I've only really met one other swedish supporter, i know there is a couple on here but i doubt theres enough for them to prioritise our games. **** you lerner you massive clearing in the woods.

can we pay someone to go to the game and video stream it from their phone? What are the laws in the UK regarding drones? lets get creative here shall we

Edited by tomaspg

Â