Villans Abroad and The Championship

villan_007

11 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

OK, so, best case scenario, someone abroad with a VPN, a grasp of localised UK programming schedules, or a willingness to put up with all the hassles that go along with spotty streaming (malware, anyone?) MIGHT be able to watch the occasional Villa match, right? This makes me feel personally a bit more hopeful, because I will go to crazy lengths, but only the most enterprising fans will be onboard with this tedious and complicated new reality. 

Still think relegation means the end of international Villa, end of story. I would aver that Villa will lose at least 70-80% of its fledging international supporter base. 

I can't think of a single championship club that has an international profile, can you? I've never seen one championship game ever broadcast in the States, for example.

Villa has never really had much of an international fan base, our days of success are too far back in the past. Even when we enjoyed a brief flourish under MON, a lot of the players were British and we never took off. You can see it on this forum: how many fans do we have who aren't from the USA, Australia or Scandinavia? You could probably count them on two hands. 

Yes, you'll be able to follow some matches. I'm sure Chewie, the guy who does the stream list every game currently, and who lives in the Philippines I believe, will still be making them next season. Obviously the options will be significantly reduced. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jareth said:

The Championship in terms of revenue is ahead of lots of european first leagues. With Villa going down, and its global fan base, not huge admittedly, but still there is one - I can see Sky putting us on TV quite a lot. They have been tinkering this year with the championship schedule, I can see them tinkering a lot more next season when possibly the biggest club to be relegated, get relegated. Not trying to be positive about relegation - it is sh*t - but I will probably still get to see a lot of games - though bad for people who actually go to matches, I'm looking forward to Friday night fixtures.

I do think that making a big fuss about it esp with the media may help. 

By the way chaps not sure there will be Championship games on a Friday night as the Premier League will be having live games from next season on Friday's!

Maybe there will be a mixture but Championship will probably be shoved to Thursday's knowing our luck and Sky's urge to have a live game every night of the week!

I don't hold much hope for catching streams tbh it's all BPL, BPL, BPL you never see links to Championship Games on sites.

Can you listen to BBC radio WM if you don't live in the West Midlands?

What a depressing thread!

Edited by supernova26

I remember when West Ham wen't down a few years back TV4 Sport (Sweden) increased the number of games they showed and showed most of the Hammers games because they have quite a lot of Fans in Sweden.

Hopefully they will do the same with Villa, especially now since that channel has lost most of their other leagues (La Liga, Serie A) to other channels.

Knowing my luck they won't thou...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

OK, so, best case scenario, someone abroad with a VPN, a grasp of localised UK programming schedules, or a willingness to put up with all the hassles that go along with spotty streaming (malware, anyone?) MIGHT be able to watch the occasional Villa match, right? This makes me feel personally a bit more hopeful, because I will go to crazy lengths, but only the most enterprising fans will be onboard with this tedious and complicated new reality. 

Still think relegation means the end of international Villa, end of story. I would aver that Villa will lose at least 70-80% of its fledging international supporter base. 

I can't think of a single championship club that has an international profile, can you? I've never seen one championship game ever broadcast in the States, for example.

Am I missing something...how come you can't find a website that streams Sky games...they are loads of them around.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, supernova26 said:

I don't hold much hope for catching streams tbh it's all BPL, BPL, BPL you never see links to Championship Games on sites.

Can you listen to BBC radio WM if you don't live in the West Midlands?

What a depressing thread!

Not looking hard enough...I watched Leeds Boro the other night on one site. It was awful!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Villa has never really had much of an international fan base, our days of success are too far back in the past. Even when we enjoyed a brief flourish under MON, a lot of the players were British and we never took off. You can see it on this forum: how many fans do we have who aren't from the USA, Australia or Scandinavia? You could probably count them on two hands. 

Yes, you'll be able to follow some matches. I'm sure Chewie, the guy who does the stream list every game currently, and who lives in the Philippines I believe, will still be making them next season. Obviously the options will be significantly reduced. 

in a perverse way I think Newcastle fans from abroad became more into their team when they went down and think the clubs profile slightly increased because of this

• Like 1

I'm in a similar position. It really does suck. I absolutely hate the club and I'm not even going to be able to watch them but like all football fans I'm stuck with the club I support because that's just the way it is. Despite hating them I still watch them every weekend because they're my team and football is my life. But I'd give literally anything to support any other team so I can 1) carry on watching football and 2) not have to watch a bunch of overpaid, talentless, arrogant, horrible players backed by a total joke of an owner at a club at the very depths of depression. Aston Villa has now totally ruined football for me.

• Like 1

Foxtel have lost the Premier League games so I have been looking into other options.Telstra are going to charge $90 a month for the Premier League Havent found out anything concrete yet about championship games BUT I know a Millwall supporter who seems to be up with the play as far as Millwall are concerned.I hope to see him tomorrow to find out more,if its worth passing on I will let you all know tomorrow night.

I play table tennis every monday, hope he turns up he usually does. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Not looking hard enough...I watched Leeds Boro the other night on one site. It was awful!

Chris, I don't think anyone would dispute that you can't, if you look hard enough, find Championship streams on matchday. I grant that.

Maybe I am missing something, but as far as I know, there are around 45 weeks per season with 12 matches a week, right -- so that's like 540 or so matches total, right? Sky is going to broadcast less than 100 of those, correct? Yes, maybe Villa will get some extra love in the first season down, but this won't be enough to sustain international interest, IMHO.

In my experience, from the States, there are also a host of complicating factors that make such access patchy at best, unpredictable, low in quality, and riddled with malware/adware. There are some good highlights out there, at Footballtube.com for example.

Don't get me wrong; short of re-locating, I will do whatever it takes to follow Villa, and pay high fees, etc. But I'm one. My larger point is that I believe the international following will actually collapse. Apart from dyed-in-the-claret-wool ex-pats, the intensity of club loyalty abroad won't be enough to overcome a desire to watch ANY reliable good football on a weekly basis, and that most likely means that -- at least here in America -- there won't be any new Villa supporters because those who could have watched will be tuning to reliable weekly broadcasts of Arsenal, ManU, etc. 

I wish I were wrong, believe me!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Zatman said:

in a perverse way I think Newcastle fans from abroad became more into their team when they went down and think the clubs profile slightly increased because of this

Very, very hard thing to benchmark -- "profile." But -- just looking at it from my US perspective -- I think Newcastle is not as well known as Villa in the States. Just as one example, a US-based Google search returns about four times the number of hits for "Aston Villa" than "Newcastle United." Maybe that's a pile of rubbish, but I don't really know how else to measure profile. 

Edited by Marka Ragnos

I work in football analytics and, though we no longer use it due to its unreliability, for a period we streamed Championship games via Bet365 on a VPN.

This is a long-shot, and I'm not even sure if they do still show it, but Bet365 Norway or something definitely showed every game live in the Championship. They may still do. They also may do this in other countries - although I'd imagine not if you haven't noticed streams available before.

The point is it's got to be worth an email to 365/Unibet/Betfair to see who was behind the broadcasting for these games. They could at least point you in some direction.

• Like 2

Bein Sports carries weekly games and the highlights show. It's a special extra subscription though Foxtel or you can get it as an internet subscription. They show live and on demand replays. I'll be getting that, but hope they will increase their input of Championship games.

There is also a one hour AVTV highlights and replay package on Eurosport here in AUS, but I suspect that will be dropped if we are no longer in the BPL.

Do other Championship teams live stream their matches? I suppose guest passes for those streams might also be an option.

• Like 2

I got access to Norwegian channels TV2 Sport Premium 1,2 and 3 last week. They seem to show a decent amount of championship games on re-run... not sure if they show any live though.

I'm used to seeing every Villa-game but I lived in South Africa from 2010 to 2012 and didn't have a TV nor could I afford the crappy and expensive internet data bundles down there, so for over two years I hardly got to see Villa play. I got used to it.. and I pretty much lost interest. I kept myself informed reading the odd article and checking the scores. Didn't feel like a big loss really, I just wasted my time elsewhere. As soon as I returned I was back to watching every game though.

I talked to my friend Dave today and asked him how he watched Milwall every week.Apparently Millwall video every game that way supporters anywhere can watch replays of all their games.They obviously think of their supporters,I doubt we could something like that from Villa, especially under the present regeme.

As a point of information. Another friend of mine was a Wolves supporter but when he could no longer watch them he has switched to another team ( one he can watch ) he still prefers Wolves but he cant see them anymore. 

Â