Villans Abroad and The Championship

villan_007

3 hours ago, Czechlad said:

I'd pay good money if someone like AVTV would televise the matches on their site to watch. 

8 hours ago, S-Platt said:

The club should set up its own TV Channel that fans can subscribe to watch matches live if living outside the UK.  The rules might be relaxed outside The Premier League? AVTV needs to bring itself into the 21st century.

Good god can you imagine those muppets trying to run live coverage of our games. If you've ever tried to watch the pre-season games you'll know what I mean.

I'd prefer to not watch than have Captain Jack apologizing for the lack of pictures between describing the color of the grass, the size of his pie and chips before finally the audio cuts out in the 18th minute. 

I'm sure no-one at the club has even looked into it because that actually might be a smart way to raise revenue. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Zatman said:

sports here usually show all the games and most of time is a random Championship game on at 3pm, for some reason its mainly Reading games though but i have seen Leeds, Wolves and Palace on in the past

Yeah it's usually the Channel 5 game selected as the main one on the highlights so you get proper camera angles and everything! In fairness it's not a new thing, I remember watching a stream of Preston-Boro at uni about 6 years ago and that was a 3pm game.

As I've said you won't be getting us every single week (mind you that will be a relief surely after the last 5 years). However I'm sure someone can knock up a quick list of the championship teams most featured on Sky this season. Leeds are running away with it but likes of Forest and QPR seem to be on nearly every week aswell.

Surely most of these feeds show the Sky games so you should be alright.

As I've said before it will be the equivilant of early round of Carling cup (Notts County game) for most of our midweek games next season but I'd be surprised if there's a blackout for our weekend games as I'd expect many of them to be on tv, particularly the derbies. 

Inside of Britain & Ireland it'll be interesting to see whether Villa the big fish in the small pond will be on more often live next season than the boring Villa whipping boy was on this season. 

As for further afield where you can pretty much catch every Premier League game live, yes we'll definitely be on less than that, but I think we might be pleasantly surprised by how often we'll be on live TV.  Not just with Sky choosing us for their Championship coverage.  Foreign stations do show Championship games too, if satellite TV website listings are anything to go by.

All is not lost.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2016 at 20:35, NurembergVillan said:

If you install Hola on your Chrome browser you should be able to VPN your way to Channel 5 and watch it on demand.

Yep indeedy.

Also, if the broadcast schedule for the channel 5 show is convenient, you can watch it live on Filmon.  I'm 4 hours ahead (3 in the summer), so it's not so bad for me, but it's not going to be a patch on the BeIn Sports show.

:(

Well at least there are some options. Going to be difficult getting used to it not being there every week though :(

This will probably be where Garde creates his own killer team, rapes the championship and I miss almost all of it!!

Wait....nar.

• Like 1

This looks a little more promising, although looks like a VPN is essential...

International[edit]

• Australia – Setanta Sports Australia broadcasts live Championship matches every weekend
  • Belgium – Eleven Sports
  • Brazil – ESPN Brasil has exclusive rights to broadcast live two Championship matches every week.
  • Bulgaria – Nova Sport broadcasts live two Championship matches every week.
  • Canada – beIN Sports and Réseau des sports
  • Caribbean – ESPN Caribbean
  • Czech Republic – Slovak Sport
  • Germany – sportdigital.tv broadcasts one or two games every week.
  • India and the subcontinent, Ten Action broadcasts some of the matches in Non-HD.
  • Indonesia – CPI TV has exclusive rights to broadcast live in a dozent matches, beIN Sports get the match for 100+ broadcasting around as little
  • Italy – Sportitalia had exclusive rights to broadcast live one match a week and highlights show between 2005 and 2012.
  • Mexico – Sky Sports Mexico has exclusive rights to broadcast live two matches.
  • New Zealand – Sommet Sports has exclusive rights to broadcast all matches live or on delay.
  • South America – ESPN Latin America
  • Slovenia – Sport Klub shows one or two matches a week
  • Sweden – TV4 Sport shows one or two matches a week usually including a 3pm kick off on the Saturday.
  • Serbia – Sport Klub shows one or two matches a week
  • Slovakia – Slovak Sport
  • France – LequipeTV shows one match a week.
  • Norway – Viasat Fotball shows one or two matches a week.
  • Romania – GSP TV shows two live matches per week.
  • United States – beIN Sports broadcast one or two matches a week.
  • Asia – (except Japan, Indonesia, and Korea) most games are broadcast by Goal
  • Streaming – Betfair and Bet365 both broadcast matches internationally. Betfair notes that the territories to which they are able to stream events varies from sport to sport.[14] Bet365 notes that some events are not permitted to stream within the host country.[15]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_League_Championship#Broadcasting_rights

• Like 2

Really appreciate the hopeful posts, people. I still think the international AV brand, for what it ever was, is pretty much over now. There just won't be a level of media saturation abroad that allows the Championship league to rise above its fundamentally UK-domestic character. 

On another note, and I know it sounds arrogant, but I think (I hope?) that Villa going down changes the meaning of going down, and that something new happens to help cater to a large fanbase desperate to watch Vila.

We are a potential new market, after all. Surely someone will want to make money off us?

1 minute ago, Marka Ragnos said:

but I think (I hope?) that Villa going down changes the meaning of going down

I wouldn't say it's arrogant but I think it's overly hopeful :) Big teams have gone down before.  Granted, a team our size hasn't gone down since ... well, since we last went down in '87 funnily enough.  The likes of Newcastle, Chelsea, Leeds & Man City have gone down since, and no new appetite to watch second tier football came from that. 

No, I think when someone significant falls out of the top flight, it is seen very much by the other grand clubs as a 'sort yourself out and come back when you're ready' type thing.  Very little sympathy and get on with it.  Whether we will (sort ourselves ...) or not remains to be seen.  Twice in recent history we've missed the boat badly at significant times resulting in unnecessary pain.  This could be the third and worst of them all.

Going down means going down.  It always has and, moreso now than ever before, it always will.  Nothing good comes from it.  It's just a case of limiting the degrees of bad.

1 hour ago, BOF said:

Going down means going down.  It always has and, moreso now than ever before, it always will.  Nothing good comes from it. 

That's the straight dope -- served neat, unvarnished, in-the-raw, unleavened, with nary a punch pulled.

Ouch.

I have utterly no question that you're right.

• Like 1

We'll only be televised for selected Sky games, but they'll be highlight shows a la Match of the Day every weekend. Sucks mate, but unless you're in the UK and able to go to games, you won't be seeing a great deal of the Villa when we're down. 

The lucky bastard.

The season that Newcastle went down the BBC showed championship games and they were on TV (on either BBC or Sky) virtually every week. You can garentee that if a game is broadcast somewhere there will be a stream available on the internet. I wonder if something similar would happen with us?

6 hours ago, Jareth said:

Sky have been increasing their championship games year on year. I think it could be 1 or 2 per month for villa. Just means we'll all be on VT more often.

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

The season that Newcastle went down the BBC showed championship games and they were on TV (on either BBC or Sky) virtually every week. You can garentee that if a game is broadcast somewhere there will be a stream available on the internet. I wonder if something similar would happen with us?

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

I would guess that we will be on TV a minimum of ten games next season, Leeds rarely play at 3pm Saturday as their owner has protested a lot so we will be in a similar situation

OK, so, best case scenario, someone abroad with a VPN, a grasp of localised UK programming schedules, or a willingness to put up with all the hassles that go along with spotty streaming (malware, anyone?) MIGHT be able to watch the occasional Villa match, right? This makes me feel personally a bit more hopeful, because I will go to crazy lengths, but only the most enterprising fans will be onboard with this tedious and complicated new reality. 

Still think relegation means the end of international Villa, end of story. I would aver that Villa will lose at least 70-80% of its fledging international supporter base. 

I can't think of a single championship club that has an international profile, can you? I've never seen one championship game ever broadcast in the States, for example.

Not so long back the only way to see games was to either go to games or wait for one to appear on sky TV (if unlucky enough to have that). These days with streams you might say we're spoilt somewhat, in the premier you can watch pretty much every game and even if relegated I'm sure plenty of our games will be broadcast around the globe and so available to view on the web somewhere. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

OK, so, best case scenario, someone abroad with a VPN, a grasp of localised UK programming schedules, or a willingness to put up with all the hassles that go along with spotty streaming (malware, anyone?) MIGHT be able to watch the occasional Villa match, right? This makes me feel personally a bit more hopeful, because I will go to crazy lengths, but only the most enterprising fans will be onboard with this tedious and complicated new reality. 

Still think relegation means the end of international Villa, end of story. I would aver that Villa will lose at least 70-80% of its fledging international supporter base. 

I can't think of a single championship club that has an international profile, can you? I've never seen one championship game ever broadcast in the States, for example.

The Championship in terms of revenue is ahead of lots of european first leagues. With Villa going down, and its global fan base, not huge admittedly, but still there is one - I can see Sky putting us on TV quite a lot. They have been tinkering this year with the championship schedule, I can see them tinkering a lot more next season when possibly the biggest club to be relegated, get relegated. Not trying to be positive about relegation - it is sh*t - but I will probably still get to see a lot of games - though bad for people who actually go to matches, I'm looking forward to Friday night fixtures.

• Like 1

Â