Villans Abroad and The Championship

villan_007

Living down under, I have become very used to having the Villa live on the box every week. As it stands this is about to end as we slip into the championship.

Does anybody know of any other services that are available that will provide the games to watch each week?

I know Bein sports is on over here with Keys and Gray and they show Championship games that are live in England but that all depends when the Villa are on, it's not an every week thing.

I've heard of My ExPat Network, but not sure they have any sports available.

Anybody got any suggestions??

We'll only be televised for selected Sky games, but they'll be highlight shows a la Match of the Day every weekend. Sucks mate, but unless you're in the UK and able to go to games, you won't be seeing a great deal of the Villa when we're down. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, villan_007 said:

Living down under, I have become very used to having the Villa live on the box every week. As it stands this is about to end as we slip into the championship.

Does anybody know of any other services that are available that will provide the games to watch each week?

I know Bein sports is on over here with Keys and Gray and they show Championship games that are live in England but that all depends when the Villa are on, it's not an every week thing.

I've heard of My ExPat Network, but not sure they have any sports available.

Anybody got any suggestions??

I'm in a similar situation, and I have to tell you, it's much more grim than I first imagined. Relegation matters. People have suggested various work-arounds, but at the end of the day, the thing no one will seem to admit to is that AV are going to be a shadow of their former selves in terms of international presence.

I have tried to follow championship teams before and it's truly catch as catch can -- and there just are a lot fewer opportunities. There will be less media across the board. Even many of the fan forums in the championship are a lot less well-developed and a lot more provincial .

The logistics change radically. Unless Villa does something special and new, I fear that relegation will destroy AV's puny international brand. De-****-stroy it, mate.

Sorry to be such a downer, but I'm angry about it, tbh. Once again, if the owners had shown more foresight long ago and paid attention, they would have grasped exactly how damaging relegation would be in terms of the global following.

I thought I had a solution worked out for myself, but I was wrong and now I'm back to square one. Again, keeping fingers crossed something new happens. 

I suggest trying to follow a championship club and see what you can figure out. Come back here and share any insights. It's hard to get any decent advice from UK-based supporters, I've found, because they don't have  the same situations, and it's hard to generalize from country to country, too.

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, samjp26 said:

We'll only be televised for selected Sky games, but they'll be highlight shows a la Match of the Day every weekend. Sucks mate, but unless you're in the UK and able to go to games, you won't be seeing a great deal of the Villa when we're down. 

Word. That's basically it. That's the bitter, ugly truth. I can be a Villa supporter all I want, but unless I move back to the UK -- and I have no plans to do that -- Villa simply won't be there for me anymore. It's sad.

Just now, Marka Ragnos said:

Word. That's basically it. That's the bitter, ugly truth. I can be a Villa supporter all I want, but unless I move back to the UK -- and I have no plans to do that -- Villa simply won't be there for me anymore. It's sad.

One bonus, if any at all, is that as a very big club going down we'll likely get the majority of the TV showings from Sky. But yeah mate, as you say it will be very difficult for international fans to follow us properly, it really is a sad state of affairs and if we're down there for more than one season (which I completely think will happen) it is going to have a horrible impact on our club.

• Like 1

Gutted - that's kind of what I feared. So it'll be the odd game on Bein sports and some highlights.

Wow - I've never gone a season without watching a massive percentage of games, be that in the UK or abroad. Going to take some getting used to.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, villan_007 said:

Gutted - that's kind of what I feared. So it'll be the odd game on Bein sports and some highlights.

Dude, maybe I've got it wrong. I am just a bloke scrambling and trying to figure out how to stay connected, and I'm no expert on championship streaming or media possibilities. I hope I'm wrong, but as I said, I haven't found a way to watch more than the odd televised match.

For international supporters, it's a little like the club going into a kind of administration. It's winding down. The PL version of Villa was a global brand, if a tiny one. Now that's simply going to be gone.

It reminds me of trying to get my hands on an English meat pie. You can sometimes order one from the States, but the shipping costs are almost ten times the cost of the pie. And by the time you get, it's rotten. It's just not practically possible anymore.

I will keep praising and supporting the pie. But it's simply not going to be available much anymore.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

2 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Dude, maybe I've got it wrong. I am just a bloke scrambling and trying to figure out how to stay connected, and I'm no expert on championship streaming or media possibilities. I hope I'm wrong, but as I said, I haven't found a way to watch more than the odd televised match.

For international supporters, it's a little like the club going into a kind of administration. It's winding down. The PL version of Villa was a global brand, if a tiny one. Now that's simply going to be gone.

It reminds me of trying to get my hands on an English meat pie. You can sometimes order one from the States, but the shipping costs are almost ten times the cost of the pie. And by the time you get, it's rotten. It's just not practically possible anymore.

I will keep praising and supporting the pie. But it's simply not going to be available much anymore.

I'd hazard a guess you're probably right. I don't think the Championship is very global.

I'm going to have a good look around though and see what's available. Whatever I find I'll post in here and let you know.

• Like 1

Just now, villan_007 said:

I'd hazard a guess you're probably right. I don't think the Championship is very global.

I'm going to have a good look around though and see what's available. Whatever I find I'll post in here and let you know.

Would appreciate! And that goes for anyone else who sees this thread!

Going down a division may be hard for the UK supporters, losing bragging rights, getting hassled down at the local, etc., but for us it's a kind of club death. 

One highlight -- there will be highlights available on Aston Villa TV. 

Yay. :mellow:

Your not going to get a stream for every game no but out of 46 games we may well be picked for tv for a third of them, (big fan base means higher viewing figures for sky)

the biggest problem will be kick off times, televised games will be Saturday at 12 or Friday nights at half 7

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villan_007 said:

Do you mean the UK channel 5? Can you get that abroad?

Yeah the UK channel 5, but its like 10am on Sunday so not sure what time it would be your time.

You can probably catch it demand 5 online but they restrict on countries...although there is ways around that ...

• Like 1

sports here usually show all the games and most of time is a random Championship game on at 3pm, for some reason its mainly Reading games though but i have seen Leeds, Wolves and Palace on in the past

Edited by Zatman

In Bulgaria, Nova and Diema sport show 2 championship games a weekend as well as any midweek game.

I won't be bereft but it'll probably mean I'll watch less football than I do now.

I've never been in this position but I wonder what interest I'll have in the Prem when we're no longer in it. If it's on I'll watch any prem game but I'm not sure I'll have the same interest.

10 hours ago, Jimzk5 said:

Your not going to get a stream for every game no but out of 46 games we may well be picked for tv for a third of them, (big fan base means higher viewing figures for sky)

the biggest problem will be kick off times, televised games will be Saturday at 12 or Friday nights at half 7

Better than nothing but I'll believe it when I see it. :( I hope you're right.

8 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah the UK channel 5, but its like 10am on Sunday so not sure what time it would be your time.

You can probably catch it demand 5 online but they restrict on countries...although there is ways around that ...

Tunnel Bear is good. Costs $5 USD a month.

Â