Pre-Match Thread

John

1 minute ago, weedman said:

I remember that game well, after months of effort trying to convince my Mrs that footballs not all bad, and she should give it a chance, she eventually succumbed and decided to come to a game with me, that was the game. Since that day she's never watched football again and I'm stuck in the garage watching or on my tod at VP when I'm "lucky" enough to go to a game. I'm not even bothering to try with her until we look capable of winning games again!

Quite envy you and your garage isolation for games.

Rock and a hard place for Garde I think. I get the feeling he'd love to drop a handful of players but has to weigh that up against which set of players are most likely to fluke a result. I'm annoyed too, but it's probably maybe just about the logical decision.

Last time I remember the staff having two weeks to work with the 'players' I seem to remember we got thrashed against Everton. Hope there is a better reaction today.

Most of the team belongs in League One. Not that I particularly rate him, but what's wrong with Sanchez? He's been out for a while now.

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Quality wise the bench is abysmal. But we've just lost 6-0 in the worst home loss in decades. And we make 1 change? That's disgraceful. 

Ah yeah, but it's not his fault, or so I'm told. 

Garde is apparently lacking in imagination, or just any sort of clue. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Quality wise the bench is abysmal. But we've just lost 6-0 in the worst home loss in decades. And we make 1 change? That's disgraceful. 

I think he's more concerned with putting out his best team quality-wise (however bad it is) than making a statement or sending out the message. He can't really afford to at the moment, and has to hope these players can turn it around.

Just now, Keyblade said:

I think he's more concerned with putting out his best team quality-wise (however bad it is) than making a statement or sending out the message. He can't really afford to at the moment, and has to hope these players can turn it around.

But it doesn't matter if a player is better if he's given up and massively out of form. 

And he needs to make a statement, he's the manager. What message does this send out? 

• Like 1

every week i have this mental battle where I try and convince myself not to watch and then I give in, on the off chance something might change. It rarely ever does.

I switched the Liverpool game off after the second goal, you know as soon as we concede we will lose with the current team and injuries, there is no-one who can turn anything around. Hoping for a fluke set piece before the inevitable defensive screw up, is painful.

7 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

They can't, we're already finished in this league, we have no chance. 

1 minute ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

They can't, we're already finished in this league, we have no chance. 

maybe so, and it's fine for us to accept that, but for him to give in with 10 weeks still go would be far more unforgivable. Lescott playing may stick in the craw but I don't think dropping him or creating more chaos does us much good. For the record I personally don't think it'd have made much of a difference to todays impending defeat, but I wouldn't expect our manager to think like that. 

• Like 1