Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

Genie

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. As the title suggests. I guess the 2 sides of the debate will get lots of airtime over the next few weeks. What do the people of VT think?

• Remain a member of the European Union
    • Leave the European Union

4 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

So could I hypothetically work in Poland and claim child benefits for kids back home?

On the basis Mrs Wainy wasn't claiming it , you'd claim it at the Polish rate  so arguably you'd be better off claiming in the UK still 

I'll be voting to leave. I don't think Cameron has managed to bring back that much (although he clearly tried) and in any case it's unreasonable to constantly expect the EU to make exceptions for us.

For me, the benefits are outweighed by the negatives and there is no single issue that stands out above the others. I really hope Vote Leave rather than GO get the official designation because the latter are just a parody of themselves (Galloway being involved makes it even worse) while Vote Leave are making a much more progressive case. That said, the In campaign have been pretty dreadful so far at making their case as well.

Edited by Mantis

8 hours ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

It'll be interesting to see the impact the referendum has on UK politics if it turns out that only the English fancy getting out, and the rest of the UK votes to stay. I'm not sure the what the likelihood of that outcome is, but I don't think it is out of the realms of possibility.

If 'Leave' wins, it's a certainty that England will have voted 'leave' while Wales and Scotland vote 'remain' (the polling isn't even close in either province). 

What that would mean going forward is open to interpretation: the SNP like to say publicly that it would necessitate another referendum on Scottish independence, but privately they don't want one any time soon. 

45 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

On the basis Mrs Wainy wasn't claiming it , you'd claim it at the Polish rate  so arguably you'd be better off claiming in the UK still 

Yeah I was just wandering if the same rule was imposed on all member nations as it seems to be one of the main gripes Brits have as though it's a Brit only issue.

12 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

If 'Leave' wins, it's a certainty that England will have voted 'leave' while Wales and Scotland vote 'remain' (the polling isn't even close in either province). 

What that would mean going forward is open to interpretation: the SNP like to say publicly that it would necessitate another referendum on Scottish independence, but privately they don't want one any time soon. 

Maths not so great for independence with current oil prices ... 

• Like 1

Yes, exactly. The only thing that's changed since they last lost a referendum has been a crash in oil prices which has driven a coach and horses through the middle of their economic case for independence. 

They're quite happy posturing and winning in elections for now. 

2 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Hang on, if we were to leave, does that mean I'd get a stamp in my passport for trips to the likes of Spain, Germany, France etc?

You already can ... Just ask the passport official when you go through immigration

some of them will tell you no but a lot of them just stamp it if you ask 

On 2/20/2016 at 14:03, blandy said:

This is quite a powerful argument, for me, too. With both sides doing the fear mongering stuff (much of which I don't believe) we're kind of left with thin facts and evidence to go on, and so other factors have a bigger impact. By an absolute massive margin, the Leave lot has a lead on humungous bell ends being on their side. IDS, Grayling, Galloway. Garage and so on. If they're in favour of something, then it's pretty safe to say it must be a mad idea.

You can add Boris Johnson to the list now.

What's more annoying is that there won't be any information in the build up to this referendum. It'll be a succession of people saying vote In/Out because I say so and you like me don't you. The worst thing about anything to do with the EU is just how little of it is supported by any sort of fact. As someone who hasn't decided, I find that quite frustrating.

• Like 1

John Redwood, Liam Fox, Boris Johnson, George Galloway and Nigel Farage.

Jeeeeesh.

This is going to be horrible.

Would it be too much to ask for some sort of neutral group to be formed / funded, to just either give out facts that can be easily proven, or to comment on or correct the statements of the two opposing sides?

We are going to hear so much shit in the next few months.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

So is Cameron's deal fair on the other nations? My German mate has told me he hopes we vote leave now.

I'm not surprised. It's unreasonable to be constantly demanding exceptions - that's why we should leave in the first place because it's clear our aims with regards to the EU are different to most. I suspect even many Inners would vote to leave if our only other option was full integration.

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

John Redwood, Liam Fox, Boris Johnson, George Galloway and Nigel Farage.

Jeeeeesh.

This is going to be horrible.

Would it be too much to ask for some sort of neutral group to be formed / funded, to just either give out facts that can be easily proven, or to comment on or correct the statements of the two opposing sides?

We are going to hear so much shit in the next few months.

This this this.

It's only been a couple of days since this referendum was announced and I'm already sick of the sensationalist nonsense being spouted by all sides. The public need facts in a referendum, but we won't get any. We'll just hear "national security", "terror", "Britain" and "immigrants" over and over and over.