Play the kids

Richard

We are down.  We will finish bottom and have nothing to fight for which is a good thing really as not one member of the regular first team squad have any fight in them anyway.

So i think we should start as many as the u21s as possible in every game between now and end of season

Pros- 

They get experience

They want to fight more than the current lot to earn a spot next season

It gives them the opportunity of playing in the premier league and wanting to get back to it

We are going to need them next season anyway as our owner will not spend any money on this organisation 

Lescott can have more time tweeting and maybe try and get a spot on Top Gear as part of the new team

Cons-

We may get shafted each week

They may get tainted and affect their motivation

If they are any good then they may get taken in the summer

What do you think,  play the kids or not?

Edited by Richard
  • Like 1

They might work harder , they might care more but they will get turned over and the effect on them is not worth the risk , also lets consider the best Kid we have is Grealish and he is struggling badly in this team.

• Like 1

We have nothing to lose,  If they are any good we will lose them anyway.

They might actually give a toss and put some effort in.

The scores dont really matter anymore either.  Anymore nails in this coffin of ours and the basic (and histrionically proven) sub structure of wood will be forever compromised with the introduction of yet more base metals in the form of nails from a seemingly unrelenting machine gun type fire of said nails.  It will be the only coffin in all history that is both non buoyant and top heavy,  even our own coffin is ****.  They will bury it in Witton Cemetery and 15 years later all the local wildlife has **** died from bastard metal poisoning.  

Richards sentence "Lescott can have more time tweeting and maybe try and get a spot on Top Gear as part of the new team." was worth this whole topic.

I think the idea has merit but it also has the risk of leaving the kids feeling shell shocked.  

I would rather start 1 or 2 a week and ease them in, giving them a break from the firing line whenever they are getting a bit battered.  But certainly increasing their playing time dramatically would be a good idea.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Richard said:

Cons-

This is the only part of your post I disagree with, to me there are absolutely no con's. 

19 minutes ago, Richard said:

we may get shafted each week

We currently get shafted each week

21 minutes ago, Richard said:

They may get tainted and affect their motivation

I think the exact opposite. They can't do an awful lot worse than the current lot, and unlike the current lot I think win lose or draw the fans would be genuinely behind them,  The experience of playing in the PL, albeit for a couple of months will motivate them to want more. 

25 minutes ago, Richard said:

If they are any good then they may get taken in the summer

If would take some going for any of the kids to make the sort of impact between now and May that would warrant PL clubs sniffing around them. Whilst I admittedly don't watch the u21's, I think if we had anyone with that sort of potential they would have made the first 11 already. 

At this moment in time the complete focus of the club should be on next season, and there is not much point continuing with those unlikely to be here. 

So yes, absolutley, throw them in. I actually think it would be terrible mismanagement not to. 

There's nothing wrong with playing one or two kids, no. But if we chucked in an entirely new team it would be catastrophic, It's an extremely idealistic idea which would never be entertained by any manager. It would also reduce our appeal further to potential new recruits in the summer, who have just seen Villa get battered for the final third of the season.

If they were good enough, they'd be playing.

Also, the team have been trying apart from yesterday. Give over with these reactionary ideas please.

6 minutes ago, useless said:

To play the kids would be the worst thing we could do, we've still got something to play for as hopeless as it might seem at the moment. And it would do more harm to the youngsters themselves psychologically, than it would good. If they were on the end of a few thrashings. Maybe it might be worth giving one or two of them more of chance but to throw them all in would be footballing in suicide in more ways than one.

I am with you on this, Useless. While there is still a chance we need to put out a team we think can put in a performance. A couple of the young players, yes, but no more. If or when we are mathematically unable to stay up, then perhaps try to blood a few more of them, but I see no merit in getting trounced, even if there is nothing at stake. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

We have nothing to lose,  If they are any good we will lose them anyway.

They might actually give a toss and put some effort in.

The scores dont really matter anymore either.  Anymore nails in this coffin of ours and the basic (and histrionically proven) sub structure of wood will be forever compromised with the introduction of yet more base metals in the form of nails from a seemingly unrelenting machine gun type fire of said nails.  It will be the only coffin in all history that is both non buoyant and top heavy,  even our own coffin is ****.  They will bury it in Witton Cemetery and 15 years later all the local wildlife has **** died from bastard metal poisoning.  

We have. Until it is mathematically impossible.

• Like 1

No. They will show promise. We will give them a 40k a week contract and they'll spend it on jaegerbombs.

On a serious note, I'd rather have 11 random fans playing than a 50k a week professional who after the game apologises for not trying. 

Edited by Woodytom
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Woodytom said:

No. They will show promise. We will give them a 40k a year contract and they'll spend it on jaegerbombs.

On a serious note, I'd rather have 11 random fans playing than a 50k a week professional who after the game apologises for not trying. 

Was just about to post this. 3 good games, £2m a year. Pissed up during pre season. Happy days.

1 hour ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

Also, the team have been trying apart from yesterday.

They haven't. Not all of them. A few of us have been highlighting this for months. Micah richards agreed not too long back.

Nevertheless, for them not to try even once, is, in my mind completely unforgiveable.

A few of them, yes.  Particularly up front.  And at the back. (Probably the middle as well.  And a keeper).  

Mind you, as others have said, the barrel is already so scraped that I'm sure they'd be playing already if they were up to it.  There seem to be plenty of other kids doing pretty well in the league at the moment.

28 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

This is just flatly untrue. We got shafted this week, which is not the same thing at all. Our results this calendar year have been 1-3, 1-1, 1-0, 2-0, 0-0, 0-4, 0-2, 2-0 and 0-6. Out of nine games we were 'shafted' twice, which while clearly twice too many, is definitely not 'every week'. 

We obviously have different ideas obout what constitutes "shafted" mine is the following. 

P-26

W-3 

D-7 -

L-16 

P-16 

GD-26

Â