Proposal for fan ownership

TheAuthority

1 hour ago, mwj said:

Agreed but at the same time he might be willing to take the cash (at the right price) and limit his potential downside to ONLY 49% 

51% of £200m will be easier to raise (for some definition of easier) than 100%

If he doesn't still get to appoint the board of directors and the chairman, then he doesn't get to keep control of the direction of travel. I can't see the benefit for him. 

The benefit is that he's banked £100m in cash... "profit taking" (without the profit). Considering no one is prepared to give him the asking price it wouldn't be outside the realms of possibilities

Moot point anyway

11 hours ago, terrytini said:

OK ta,

Simple soul I am, how can anyone who wants to sell something either want or need the price to be kept secret from potential buyers ? And how can they expect to be provided with evidence of sufficient funds if they don't disclose what these would be ? And if, as in our case, they allegedly see themselves as custodians for the fans and are desperate to sell, what is the advantage in all this being secret ?

I don't get it !

It's a case of 'if you have to ask how much it is, you can't afford it'.  If you could show £100m of backing, I imagine you could open the door for a chat because you would be able to show you're in the right environment and know how the world of big bucks works.  Even if you don't have all the cash, you'd need to prove you know how to raise and structure finance at that level.

Christ, imagine our fanbase running the club........... wed have 28 managers a season and an overhaul of the playing squad 6 times a year and be bankrupt by xmas in the first season................. itd be mental............. as much as I don't like the current incumbents

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

If he doesn't still get to appoint the board of directors and the chairman, then he doesn't get to keep control of the direction of travel. I can't see the benefit for him. 

On the other hand, he wouldn't have to worry about controlling it - which is something he's always been bad at and has hired other people to do for him. 

The question is really what does Lerner want for the club? If in the summer he wanted £150 + £25 million has that decreased or will decrease when we are relegated?

I suspect it hasnt which is why we are now in a holding status with Fox & Hollis running the club without any further investment from the owner.

Now if the value of the club is near what Lerner wants to sell for why doesnt he look to refloat the club on the stock exchange? As a club we wouldnt have the rich investors we all crave but perhaps some people who care about the club would be able to make some better decisions on running the club instead of ruining it.

6 hours ago, rubberman said:

It's a case of 'if you have to ask how much it is, you can't afford it'.  If you could show £100m of backing, I imagine you could open the door for a chat because you would be able to show you're in the right environment and know how the world of big bucks works.  Even if you don't have all the cash, you'd need to prove you know how to raise and structure finance at that level.

You are the second to say this, but what actual factual evidenced knowledge do you have ? Not being funny, but I've done many deals in my life where people have said later "Oh, if only I'd known X was the case I'd have done it. ".a lot of half knowledge and 'generally accepted' stuff is passed here there and everywhere and then one day somebody popos up and says"'well, if you'd asked, the answer is ..." .

I mean. I'm not stupid. I know there is a big difference between me and wealthy guys.  But this @if you have to ask you can't afford ' stuff...really ?  And WHY should a lot of this be confidential ?

If I'm selling a business, or a comic, or a car, or a house, or my services, I have no need for secrets.

If it IS the accepted way, lets try and challenge it.  Lose, maybe, but try ?  Ask them....if you really want to sell, wouldn't you prefer at least the chance of selling ? 

Who really KNOWS ?  Let me give a for example......if I set up a lottery and sell 100,000 tickets at a tenner each, with a guaranteed £5,000,000 prize for the winner, that leaves me £95,000,000.

Now, maybe if someone walked up and said here is £95m cash, he'd take it.  But as things stand, I'll never run that lottery, and he'll never have the chance  to say ok - because unless I've already guessed correctly how much he might want nobody will talk to me ?  Does that sound even remotely sensible ?

I'm not surprised him, Ashleigh, Kenwright etc can't get buyers then !

Am I the only person on the planet who thinks it would constitute progress for the Club to set out what options they WOULD consider for a purchase ?  Would it not be progress for us to know some of these 'secrets'.  Wouldn't Randy prefer us to have seen the books and say "Oh, sorry mate, we see where you are coming from now, we will lay off", rather than be in perpetual civil war ?

Anyway, Bank of America suggested we have a chat, so I'll let you know what happens.

Don't hold your breath !

12 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Who really KNOWS ?  Let me give a for example......if I set up a lottery and sell 100,000 tickets at a tenner each, with a guaranteed £5,000,000 prize for the winner, that leaves me £95,000,000.

How long until you would pay out? I'd like to know how quickly I can realise that 500% return if I buy all the tickets.

:detect:

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, limpid said:

How long until you would pay out? I'd like to know how quickly I can realise that 500% return if I buy all the tickets.

Yea rather hasty maths there.  With a grasp of figures like that I should apply for a place on the current Board !

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

I never thought I'd see the day when people would want 1. Ellis back involved with the club (at the age of 92) and 2. The idea of of 25,000 Villa fans paying a grand to make it happen be a serious suggestion :crylaugh:

yes, ho, ho.

Have you any suggestions yourself ?

19 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

I've been following Villa for 35 years so he was the only owner I ever knew before Lerner.

I saw an article last week that Ellis gave £10,000 to the QE for a machine for Steve Strides son's treatment. It got me thinking about how much Ellis has made in interest off the lump sum of £63 million he got for Villa. I'm positive that the gift he gave to the QE was so he could write it off his taxes and get some publicity about how gracious and kind he is.

I started fantasizing about what if he changed the habit of a lifetime and on his deathbed turned from a miserly old skinflint and gave the fans a huge gift to buy the club from Lerner. I suppose I just need to hold on to some sort of dream after the last 5 years.

As somebody else pointed out, Ellis did not get £63m for the club.  That was the total sale price, from memory he only had about a third of the shares.  Even so, you can surely see that £20m is very different to £10,000.00.  This whole thread is a total non-starter I'm afraid.

I won't quote you terrytini as it's a long post, but you know Lerner paid £62m + bits and it is very widely reported that he wanted in the region of £150m so I dont think it's too much of a stretch to guess where you need to be at to make a bid. 

You could try a cheeky £50m if Randy really wants out and to sell to a fan. As I said, I'm sure £100m would get discussions started. But that's roughly where it needs to be - not sure why you need the bank to tell you. It's not suddenly going to be £2m.  Or £2bn.

1 hour ago, rubberman said:

I won't quote you terrytini as it's a long post, but you know Lerner paid £62m + bits and it is very widely reported that he wanted in the region of £150m so I dont think it's too much of a stretch to guess where you need to be at to make a bid. 

You could try a cheeky £50m if Randy really wants out and to sell to a fan. As I said, I'm sure £100m would get discussions started. But that's roughly where it needs to be - not sure why you need the bank to tell you. It's not suddenly going to be £2m.  Or £2bn.

Yea I agree with and know all that.

I just remain to be convinced that it really does work as unscientifically as that - everyone guessing...why not disclose.   Anyway, I'll find out when I have a chat with them.

Now where's that sofa ?......

Good luck - but my thought is fan ownership is a disaster bigger than the one we have now but good luck to you.

At the very least, Lerner has experience of dealing with deals for tens of millions +, does anyone (seriously) on VT for example have that experience - through work too (as I'm gunna guess no-one on here is a multi millionaire ;))

On ‎15‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 20:50, limpid said:

Haha !!! Youll do well to try and buy Villa for (Minus) £4,000,000

Â