Your England Euro 2016 squad

VillaChris

O.k so we're only 3 months away from it being named now. Thought I'd start it after seeing Woy on MOTD last night give some worrying answers...the usual of we can fit Rooney on the left again, oh dear.

He did in fairness though make a good point that this is probably the most flexible England squad in a long while. They can play 4-4-2, 4-2-3-1 or a 4-3-3. Although whether that will maximise the talent or be a case of shoe horning players into positions as we saw at the World Cup is very much open to debate.

Anyway though contary to popular belief there are a fair number of English players playing very well in the league this season. Leicester guys, Dier and Ali at Spurs, Butland has been brilliant at Stoke and now Forster is keeping clean sheet after clean sheet at Southampton.

With keepers Hart, Forster and Butland is probably the best state England have been in with Goalkeeping in 20 years I 'd say since you had Tim Flowers and Nigel Martyn as back up to Seaman.

Defence not sure really on fullback, lots of options but are their really stand out picks. Some would have Clyne as RB, others Kyle Walker, Woy will probably go for Phil Jones....o.k I joke I think.

Smalling and Stones would be my CB picks but Cahill is a regular so doubt that.

Midfield is an important pick. I wouldn't lose any sleep if Henderson, D*lph, Carrick etc didn't get called up, to me they're part of the lost generation. Let's say Miler, Ali, Dier and Barkley instead.

And what to do upfront? Kane, Vardy and Rooney are certs (before we have another endless Rooney debate he is Captain so he'll obviously go). What happens if Sturridge and Welbeck both stay fit and score hatfuls in the run ins? 5 strikers plus a winger or two is a bit much for a squad of 23 I think.

I'll post my 23 near the time as we all full well know a key player or two will get injured. Interesting to think who will or won't make the cut, not an easy squad to pick at all.

Milner will be in for his versatility. Probably last tournament for him though as others will overtake him.

I like him anyway much more than the other two. What is D*lph going to offer against good teams in the knock outs, you've seen him in the big games for City being subbed at half time I presume?

England have a decent chance this time around but biggest problem looks like will be centre half as none of defender in what you call great form. Big call for Hodgson is his in form players this season are not squad regulars or experienced international players. Trippier, Dier, Drinkwater, Vardy, Cresswell and Kane would all start for me on form but have about 10 caps between them

England have a decent chance this time around but biggest problem looks like will be centre half as none of defender in what you call great form. Big call for Hodgson is his in form players this season are not squad regulars or experienced international players. Trippier, Dier, Drinkwater, Vardy, Cresswell and Kane would all start for me on form but have about 10 caps between them

England have no chance of winning it. You think we have a chance against the likes of Spain Germany France?

Hodgson will play Rooney every game probably and his other favourites like Henderson and Delph who have been average all season.

France are massive favourites to win this.

I agree on Germany, they've lost a bit of experience at the back since the world cup, looking at the back 4s they were putting out in qualifying I wouldn't be losing sleep as a striker facing them.

Spain are still Spain, England still have a massive issue getting passed to death against them.

Regarding England's chances, the format helps them. They'll get out of the group and winning the group will mean playing a 3rd place team in the 2nd round won't it?

With England it's can they finally beat a major nation in the quarter finals of a major tournament as that's been beyond them for the last 20 years.

Problem is our players always seem burnt when these tournaments are played. Also I worry about Hodgson and him sticking with Rooney at the expense of better options. Right now you want to see Vardy and Kane play up front together but I bet only one of them starts.

1 Hart, 13 Butland, 22 Forster
5 Stones, 6 Jagielka, 12 Smalling
2 Clyne, 16 Walker/Trippier, 3 Bertrand, 23 Rose
4 Dier, 17 Drinkwater
7 Milner, 8 Henderson, 19 Alli
14 Walcott, 20 Barkley, 15 Oxlade-Chamberlain, 11 Sterling
9 Sturridge?, 10 Rooney, 18 Kane, 21 Vardy

If fit I'm sure these two will be in there too:

Shaw?
Wilshere?

Edited by rosenthal
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, rosenthal said:

4 Dier, 17 Drinkwater

Shaw?
Wilshere?

probably a good squad but I imagine Gary Cahill will be called up

4 hours ago, rosenthal said:

4 Dier, 17 Drinkwater

Shaw?
Wilshere?

Wouldn't agree with the Ox in there. Aren't you a Spurs fan ?!?;)

Oh and I f'kin hate Danny Rose. Jumped up little pr*ck

Edited by TheAuthority
To add the part about hating Danny Rose the jumped up little pr*ck
  • Like 1

these are always hard because on one hand theres the squad i would pick and then theres the squad i think woy will pick, chamberlain falls in to the gap, if im guessing our squad - 

hart, butland, forster

clyne, walker, smalling, cahill, stones, jagielka, bertrand, rose

dier, ali, barkley, milner, delph, henderson, carrick

rooney, sterling, vardy, kane, walcott

that gives him several issues, missing chamberlain, welbeck, lallana, wilshere, gibbs, jones, mason, townsend, also think we are really weak at full back (especially left)

starting 11 - 

hart

clyne - smalling - cahill - bertrand

carrick - delph - henderson

sterling

rooney - kane

the main thing for me is finding the best balance, from what i saw in the qualifiers delph and henderson arent the most exotic partnership going but it was one that looked like it could actually work, its about the best midfield unit not the best 3 individual midfielders, think thats where woy will get it wrong, thought switzerland away, the understanding of the middle 3 as a unit and the front 3 as a unit was probably the best england performance ive seen in years, rooney is going to drop to be the top of the diamond so which ever midfielder is playing there and which ever striker is playing upfront with him has to be able to read his game and push past him, sterling IMO can, at times with welbeck and sturridge alongside him we seem to have 3 players all dropping deep or all drifting wide for the ball which doesnt work

Hart, Forster, Butland

Clyne, Walker, Baines, Bertrand

Jagielka, Cahill, Stones, Smalling

Alli, Milner, Delph, Henderson, Carrick

Sterling, Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Barkley

Rooney, Sturridge, Kane

14 minutes ago, KHV said:

Hart, Forster, Butland

Clyne, Walker, Baines, Bertrand

Jagielka, Cahill, Stones, Smalling

Alli, Milner, Delph, Henderson, Carrick

Sterling, Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Barkley

Rooney, Sturridge, Kane

No Vardy? I think he has to go to be honest... 

Â