• Colts
    • Ravens
    • Jets
    • Giants
    • Dolphins
    • Jaguars
    • Saints
    • Other

The NFL want to get rid of kickoffs in order to make the game safer. A few proposals have been discussed but nothing finalised. I found this idea quite ininteresting.

Instead of a kickoff (at the start of each half or after a score) a team would be given the ball on their own 20 (?) yard line. They would then get 1 down to get 20 (?) yards. Or they could punt. 

I'd be sad to see kickoffs go. But if they did this could be an exciting alternative. Imagine being 14 down with 10 seconds to go. Two Hail Mary passes to save the game.

The only bad thing is that the Raiders could go for a entire match and only touch the ball once. 

*one and a half.

I get his thinking, he's 29 (a young one as he's not played that much football) and only got one big contract in him. I reckon we were offering 3 years and $40m or there abouts. If that's not enough for him then fair enough. Someone will pay him anyway.

I totally get why Norman would be asking that kind of money after seeing how contracts have ballooned recently.

It has little to do with whether or not he's better than Sherman, Revis or Peterson, and more to do with the fact that there are still loads of teams with heaps and heaps of cap space left but have no-one decent to spend it on.

From what I'm led to believe, the Panthers run a lot of zone, meaning that they don't value corners as high as they do as the guys up front. 

Edited by abdomlahor

Would a contender with a lot of cap space take him if they believed he could help them make a Superbowl run? I'd say yes. I highly doubt he'll get $16m. But it's a good number to negotiate down from for him. 

He's a lockdown corner*. I can count the number of those on one hand. 

*When he's not playing against Odell. :P

On 20/04/2016 at 18:58, Tegis said:

Thats a good deal for the Browns.

Weird that Wentz and Goff demand such big compensations.

It's the draft position that has the value rather than the player.  

14 hours ago, abdomlahor said:

Would a contender with a lot of cap space take him if they believed he could help them make a Superbowl run? I'd say yes. I highly doubt he'll get $16m. But it's a good number to negotiate down from for him. 

He's a lockdown corner*. I can count the number of those on one hand. 

*When he's not playing against Odell. :P

He isn't a shutdown at all . He has safety cover nearly all the time.

6 hours ago, Brumerican said:

He isn't a shutdown at all . He has safety cover nearly all the time.

According to PFF, he held Dez to 1 catch for 6 yards, Hopkins to 2 catches for 24 yards, T.Y. Hilton and Mike Evans to 1 catch for 15 yards, and Julio Jones to 9 catches for 113 yards over two games. Whether there's safety help or not, that's pretty incredible.

Would be interesting to see how he'd fare in a more man-based scheme though.