Chinese football

Villaphan04

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I get annoyed by the snobbish attitude towards players moving to China or wherever. Oscar doubtless doesn't come from a background of endless wealth and affluence. Given a chance to earn an amount of money that would set up not just himself, but his whole family, for many years to come, he's taking it. No judgement from me. 

The £150k a week he currently earns doesn't allow him to do that?

my issue would be if there was a question over why he'd choose Shanghai over London, or China over Europe, £400k a week living there he'd have a fantastic life, but the question why choose the Chinese league over the major European leagues is a valid one

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

The £150k a week he currently earns doesn't allow him to do that?

my issue would be if there was a question over why he'd choose Shanghai over London, or China over Europe, £400k a week living there he'd have a fantastic life, but the question why choose the Chinese league over the major European leagues is a valid one

The difference between £7.8m in London and £20.8m in Shanghai is fairly substantial, particularly after tax. 

I would take the money. He is never going to be a world beater or build a legacy. If it was an elite player you would question it as they have the ability to produce memorable moments that will last forever.

Oscar? He will be forgotten a week after he retires no matter where he plays m.

My big issue with all this China thing is actually regarding their national team.....is there actually any serious attempt to improve them or will they do a Qatar and just try to naturalise some of the foreign players who come to play who haven't been called up for their teams?

There's been decent foreign players playing in China for a while now (Drogba and Anelka were playing there in 2012) yet China recently lost a world cup qualifier at home to Syria which is just ridiculous and even worse than England losing to  Iceland.

Are Chinese players being denied playing time or do they just not have the motivation to improve amongst all these good quality players coming into their teams, they need to invest as much money as possible into improving their own players standards. Do the fans even care about the national team?

It is like Qatar....all this money yet their national team is still rubbish and they're lucky they're hosting the world cup as they certainly can't qualify for one. China with their population and resources I expected a lot better particularly as they made one appearance in 2002.

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

The difference between £7.8m in London and £20.8m in Shanghai is fairly substantial, particularly after tax. 

I think its quoted as £400k per week AFTER tax! That's eye watering.

33 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

My big issue with all this China thing is actually regarding their national team.....is there actually any serious attempt to improve them or will they do a Qatar and just try to naturalise some of the foreign players who come to play who haven't been called up for their teams?

There's been decent foreign players playing in China for a while now (Drogba and Anelka were playing there in 2012) yet China recently lost a world cup qualifier at home to Syria which is just ridiculous and even worse than England losing to  Iceland.

Are Chinese players being denied playing time or do they just not have the motivation to improve amongst all these good quality players coming into their teams, they need to invest as much money as possible into improving their own players standards. Do the fans even care about the national team?

It is like Qatar....all this money yet their national team is still rubbish and they're lucky they're hosting the world cup as they certainly can't qualify for one. China with their population and resources I expected a lot better particularly as they made one appearance in 2002.

Historically, China struggled because of the way sport was organised at a youth level in the communist system. This was a system in which promising athletes were identified at a very young age (primary school age) and then funneled towards a particular sport that seemed to fit their body type. This naturally led to an emphasis on sports where performance can be clearly quantified numerically, ie swimming, diving, weightlifting etc. Football is notoriously hard to quantify. This effect was amplified by the Beijing Olympics, as the government treated it as a matter of national pride (as we did as well, to be fair) to get as many medals as possible, and they had a lot of catching up to do. 

On top of this, the national league was a joke and was closed for a while within the last ten years or so as a result of the blatant corruption that was happening. Hundreds of referees and players have been banned within the last twenty years. Together with the low pay and lack of prospects for fame or achievement, this naturally discouraged young players from continuing with the sport. 

The advent of the CSL, and the arrival in power of Xi Jinping, who is unusual in Chinese politics in being more interested in football than any other sport, have changed the dynamic totally. The domestic game has become more popular, and Guangzhou winning the ACL under Marcello Lippi has shown that Chinese teams can compete on at least a continental level. The CSL has made a huge difference financially as well. As @Xela notes above, there are strict quotas on non-Chinese players, which is why foreign talent can command such large wage packets. 

The national team almost certainly will improve, but in the past Chinese players have been talented but suffered a lot of tactical naivety. Changing that will be Lippi's main challenge.

For those interested in football in China, this is a pretty handy website:

http://wildeastfootball.net/

(all in English)

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, sne said:

Congratulations to Carlos Tevez and his new contract at Shanghai Shenhua.

£615.000 / week or £32m per year :crylaugh::clap::o:blink::puke:

give it a year before he wants go back to Boca

fair play to lad, he is from a poor area of Buenos Aires and probably has little to no education so why should he not milk the stupidity of football owners

• Like 1

Apparently Chelsea are getting £60m for Oscar, while the player himself is in line for £400k pw. (This is from TS so no link sadly)

2 points on this. 

I) While the fee's/salaries being paid are truly staggering, i found it quite funny to hear Antonio Conte saying that 'china is a danger to world football' because Chelsea have never operated like that eh?

ii) I'm thinking of moving to china, i reckon my missus is probably worth £3m

Regarding Oscar, let's put the wages to one side for a moment. The fee itself is crazy! £60m! 

Chelsea will be laughing all the way to the bank. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Xela said:

Regarding Oscar, let's put the wages to one side for a moment. The fee itself is crazy! £60m! 

Chelsea will be laughing all the way to the bank. 

They've certainly made some big profits on a few of their purchases.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11835/10711457/cristiano-ronaldo-subject-of-257m-bid-from-unnamed-chinese-club-who-offer-over-85m-annual-salary

Cristiano Ronaldo has been the subject of a £256.6m bid from an unnamed Chinese club, who also offered the Real Madrid star over £85m a year in salary, his agent Jorge Mendes has revealed.

Speaking exclusively to Sky Sports in Italy, Mendes insisted that Ronaldo's heart belongs to Real Madrid and it would be "impossible" to sign the Portugal forward.

He said: "From China, they've offered 300m Euros to Real Madrid and more than 100m per year to the player.

"But money is not everything. Real Madrid is his life. Cristiano is happy at Real Madrid and it is impossible to go to China.

"The Chinese market is a new market. They can buy a lot of players, but then again it is impossible to go for Ronaldo. Cristiano is the best player in the world and best ever. It is normal to have some offers.

"He won the European Championship with Portugal, it's like winning the Italian league with Genoa: they were not the favourite."

Ronaldo hailed "the perfect end" to a stellar 2016 after his hat-trick sealed Real win their second Club World Cup title earlier this week.

David Moyes revealed last weekend that he wanted to sign Real Madrid stars Ronaldo, Gareth Bale and Toni Kroos while in charge at Manchester United in 2013.

• Like 1

Â