Pre-Match Thread

John

We welcome (I think that is the word for it) last season's beaten FA Cup semi-finalists Liverpool to Villa Park next Sunday at 14.05. We have lost our last 4 home league games against them and our 1-0 win back in May 2011 was our first against them at Villa Park since 1998. 

Liverpool dropped 2 points at home to our relegation rivals Sunderland (having led 2-0) most recently having previously lost at Sunderland and drawn at home with Norwich, so it might be argued that they owe us a similarly lack lustre performance on Sunday. Benteke and Milner will be welcomed back to Villa Park although I trust if they play they will have very, very off days to prove on this of all days that they still love the Villa.  

This will no doubt be a tough one and it is one that I would usually be happy enough to share the points in. But games are slipping away fast now and we really need points on the board quickly. So this is pretty much a must-win game for us now and as we proved at Wembley we can beat our visitors once in a while. 1-0 would be very nice indeed.  

Edited by John

I'm not sure how this will go, I wish we had Jordan Ayew because we lack a ball carrier in the final third without him.

However, Liverpool can be got at. Klopp is looking more flop than hot to trot. I imagine we will come bursting out the traps at them and if we score early enough I think we will go on to win.

1-1.

Would be disappointed if we don't score. If Norwich can score 4 past them and Sunderland 2 we should be able to muster a goal even with our limited options.

They do have a great record at VP though. Even in recent years when we've regularly got results at Anfield and pushed them close they've still come to VP and won

Just hope we come out firing out of the blocks. So often we start passive against top half teams, go a goal or two down then start playing and we create chances and realise the defences aren't that great.

And probably the only time I'll say this all season but really wish Gestede could get fit for this as Liverpool back 4 always have nightmares against him.

12 hours ago, One For The Road said:

Desperately need to win this. If only Sturridge wasn't back in training. 1-2 with a brace from the perennially injury one...

Sturridge hardly ever plays what has he got against us? His two goals did for us at Anfield earlier this season. Surely he needs a few more days before he attempts another comeback. :(  

We have looked more dangerous from set-pieces recently and that is clearly Liverpool weakness. In a strange way we could do with Rudy back, he destroyed them for Blackburn last season and got 2 at Anfield

4 minutes ago, John said:

Sturridge hardly ever plays what has he got against us? His two goals did for us at Anfield earlier this season. Surely he needs a few more days before he attempts another comeback. :(  

Well the rumours are that he isn't always actually injured and just can't be arsed to play very often. That would explain why he always seems to be fit to play (and score) against his hometown club..... 

14 hours ago, One For The Road said:

Well the rumours are that he isn't always actually injured and just can't be arsed to play very often. That would explain why he always seems to be fit to play (and score) against his hometown club..... 

I thought it was said he was a Villa fan? If so, it is a funny way to show it. 

7 hours ago, Barney_avfc said:

Yeah, I saw a video of him on TV as a young lad in messing around in his bedroom wearing a Villa shirt! 

Fair play. Sunday may be his opportunity to prove he still is (a performance similar to the one given by another Villa fan Nathan Redmond (albeit booed by us due to the old blue nose in his closet) on Saturday would be sufficient proof for me)! 

Edited by John

With how the up coming fixtures are looking I think we really need to get the 3 points from this if we've got any hope. A draw may suffice but if we can get the win then it'll do the confidence wonders. Back to back wins going in to some really tricky fixtures may just be the difference, and the lads may surprise us. Without some momentum and growing confidence in the players we are doomed.