Ratings and Reactions: Villa v Norwich

limpid

Yep...but that masks a lot of things. If we hadnt scored would you be saying it was a good performance?

I'm not sure if I said it was a good performance, so the answer is no. I thought it was a poor game desperately lacking in any real quality from either side. I was bored to tears by half time.

It was however a professional performance, you can't take the goals away from it. They happened.

• Like 1

Why is our buildup so slow,FFS someone tell the boys we dont have to wait for the opposition to get back before we try to score.

We lack pace. We use a deep line to cover up our defensive frailties. We missed Jordan Ayew. We lack consistent cutting edge quality, only Veretout seems to have that defence splitting pass in him. Many reasons really, mostly that we're just not very good. We're making the best of a bad situation.

• Like 4

Our build up isn't slow. We get the ball to our midfield very quickly.

The problem is there is then nothing to aim at so it seems slow because we have to hold onto it.

But I'd much rather we did that than force a pass that isn't on.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I'm not sure if I said it was a good performance, so the answer is no. I thought it was a poor game desperately lacking in any real quality from either side. I was bored to tears by half time.

It was however a professional performance, you can't take the goals away from it. They happened.

Even though i say it wasnt a particular good performance i agree it was professionai, Id add gritty to that too.

20 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

Actually, I like Gil.  He works hard, he has some very nice skill.  But I think he is the place where an attack goes to slow down.  I wish he would be more direct and incisive.

I think he would be if he ever had anything to aim at.

I'd rather he held on to it than try for a pass that isn't there. If there was an option he'd take it.

• Like 1

I 'll be more than happy for us to play crap and win 2-0 another 7 or 8 times this season.  We don't have the personnel, or indeed any forwards, to fanny about with pretty football for now. 

Results are everything.  Worry about panache next season. 

I think he would be if he ever had anything to aim at.

I'd rather he held on to it than try for a pass that isn't there. If there was an option he'd take it.

I'm not sure if he would. Veretout manages to play those kind of passes with as close as we can expect to "regularity". Gil isn't adventurous enough right now, even if I think he has the ability. I also want to see him shooting much more than he does, he has great technique.

He's like a more advanced Westwood in a sense, I hope he develops more than Westwood has.

I disagree. I don't think that a) Veretout plays them particularly regularly either and 2) that I regularly see Gil get the ball and think "he should have played that pass there"

I disagree again then!

I think if you were to look at a stat like key passes it would back up my eyes 4 assists to 1 anyway.

However, Veretout plays deeper so sees more of the game ahead of him I imagine. I actually wouldn't mind seeing them both play a bit deeper with Ayew in the free role. I'm not sure how that would work as yet.

Almost doubling 1 isn't very much though when you're talking about passes?

Anyway, I like Veretout so I've no problem with him being more incisive than Gil, I'm just not completely convinced that 0.8 more key passes per game proves very much.

Almost doubling 1 isn't very much though when you're talking about passes?

Anyway, I like Veretout so I've no problem with him being more incisive than Gil, I'm just not completely convinced that 0.8 more key passes per game proves very much.

I don't really know to be honest. I thought of it like comparing strikers, 18 goals a season compared to 10. Plus Veretout does play deeper which whilst it means he sees more of the game, he also sees less of the ball in dangerous positions.

Mostly I'm comparing them with what I see with my eyes. I see a lot of running and endeavour across the line from Gil but very little cutting edge. Veretout is a much more dynamic footballer IMO.

Comparing the two players, veretout is better on his day. But this has turned into a comparison between the two which is never what the point was about.

My original point was that I thought Gil would be more incisive if he had more to aim at.

Regardless of veretout's ability, I still think that point is true.

Edited by Stevo985

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Comparing the two players, veretout is better on his day. But this has turned into a comparison between the two which is never what the point was about.

My original point was that I thought Gil would be more incisive if he had more to aim at.

Regardless of veretout's ability, I still think that point is true.

keeping the point to Gil.  I still disagree.  I see many times in a match when I think there is a good incisive pass available and he dribbles into the middle of the field instead.  Again, I like him.  I think he might be quite good, but I think he tends to slow the attack down much more often than he creates a breakthrough and I see spurned opportunities to do the latter.

If you watch La Liga will see that most attacking midfielders have half an eye on who's in space or making runs. When nobody makes themselves available they either, check, turn, look on the either side, still nobody? keep possesion or lay the ball off, to build another attack up again.

Gil has been brought up on this (with more skilles then ours around him)

its more difficult to do in the PL

Most PL teams must go all the way back to CB & FB. La Liga players only go back as far as DM's and MF's dropping back.

But we have the problem that

in PL the players run fast - ball moves slower (or hoofball)

in La Liga the players move slower - ball moved about quicker

Gil would look even better with better movement in front of him.

3 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

keeping the point to Gil.  I still disagree.  I see many times in a match when I think there is a good incisive pass available and he dribbles into the middle of the field instead.  Again, I like him. 

We'll agree to disagree then. because I think that's rarely the case.

With that goal, Gabby has now scored in 11 different seasons for Villa from 2005/06 to 2015/16 inclusive, putting him joint 4th all-time in that longevity list.  Only Joe Bache (184 goals across 15 seasons from 1900/01 to 1914/1915), Johnny Dixon ( 144 goals across 14 seasons from 1945/46 to 1960/1961 excluding '59/'60) and all-time record scorer Billy Walker (244 goals across 14 seasons from 1919/20 to 1932/1933) are ahead of him now :thumb:

Meanwhile, he moves to 85 and within 1 goal of Tony Hateley & Richard 'Dicky' York in the scoring list.

• Like 1