Jump to content
a-k

Keinan Davis

Recommended Posts

27 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Who would you drop?

Wesley obviously who didn't do anything last game

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Wesley obviously who didn't do anything last game

I can’t see Smith dropping a £22m striker, I’d play Wesley and Davis up top

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Wesley. Straight swap. Doesn’t matter what we spent on him. He has to earn his place.

He scored against Everton and looked a threat, I’d play Wesley and Davis up top 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

He scored against Everton and looked a threat, I’d play Wesley and Davis up top 

We have conceded a stupid amount of shots playing with a 3 in the centre, 2 would be suicide. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Nigel said:

We have conceded a stupid amount of shots playing with a 3 in the centre, 2 would be suicide. 

What would you change then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

He scored against Everton and looked a threat, I’d play Wesley and Davis up top 

young players are notoriously inconsistent, what he does in one game, is not always so, in another.

Its early days......but the Everton game does show he has it.......I think the issue is more about how far our players are away from him, than playing with just one striker.

If you look at Liverpool ( and yes, I know its hard to compare, but the principle is the thing) Salah, Firmino and Sane are so interlinked and on each others wave length........our wingers and Wes are like strangers in the night.....much too far adrift of each other.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think he earned a start next game.

I know we need points but we have avoid chopping and changing too much.........they have to learn how to play with each other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

What would you change then?

I'd be more tempted to try playing 2 holding midfielders, removing the wingers and playing an advanced 3 behind the striker. 

We will see it in action this season, I'm sure.

It would give us a stronger base and better utilise our squad strength in that area.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Nigel said:

I'd be more tempted to try playing 2 holding midfielders, removing the wingers and playing an advanced 3 behind the striker. 

We will see it in action this season, I'm sure.

It would give us a stronger base and better utilise our squad strength in that area.

Kent Villan made a good case for playing wingers, but they have to be effective, that's the key, for me.....if not your suggestions are valid.

Me.....I would go with 1 winger, with a licence to roam from wing to wing at discretion....and give us an added holding player.

It be worth remembering that a holding player is not restricted to just a defensive role.....The good ones will be mindful to join the attack, when the initiative has been seized.....and the whole team moves forward.

That is another point when the team moves it should be in a block to avoid the opposition playing between our lines......at times its as if we just send out a raiding party and leave massive gaps for the opposition to counter on the turnover.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

@Dr_Pangloss why’s that funny mate?

..because he hasn't earned a start, he has looked fairly decent in limited time on the pitch, showing he can make a nuisance of himself and hold the ball up well, that's a long way from earning a start. I''d rather back our £22m striker who already has had a wonderful game against Everton and ensure he's getting more supply.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/09/2019 at 16:19, TRO said:

If you look at Liverpool ( and yes, I know its hard to compare, but the principle is the thing) Salah, Firmino and Sane are so interlinked and on each others wave length........our wingers and Wes are like strangers in the night.....much too far adrift of each other.

The problem is these winger/striker hybrids like Salah, Mane, Sterling, Sane, Messi, Ronaldo, Bale, etc. are a rare breed.

In the whole time I've watched Villa, the only player of ours who really fit that bill was Gabby. You could play him as a wide striker with a target man (Carew) in the middle, and he'd do a good job tracking back, putting in a few crosses, and scoring goals. He wasn't intelligent or technical enough to be a really top player in that position, but he had the necessary athleticism.

You look down the league and you don't see many players performing that wide striker role effectively. Maybe Son at Spurs, maybe Rashford sometimes at United. Lots of teams have a player who looks like he should be decent in that role (e.g. Walcott) but usually they don't offer much.

So I just don't see it happening with our current squad, and it might be a bit of a pipe dream to expect any of our players to perform what is essentially an elite role, requiring unbelievable speed and stamina.

Of all our wingers, I think AEG most wants to be this type of player. He models his game on CR7, and the Everton goal was a classic wide striker goal. But AEG needs to find consistency urgently.

The one thing that would make it more realistic is more advanced support from the full backs, allowing the wingers to play closer to the striker. But at the moment only Guilbert shows any signs of performing that role. It might even be worth playing Guilbert at LB, and Elmo at RB.

If we did achieve all of this, then you could see both Davis or Wesley looking more threatening as a target man or False 9. But until then Wesley and Davis will both face the same problem, that they don't score solo goals (like a Diego Costa who can drive into the box and finish) and they aren't dangerous enough attacking crosses in the box.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

..because he hasn't earned a start, he has looked fairly decent in limited time on the pitch, showing he can make a nuisance of himself and hold the ball up well, that's a long way from earning a start. I''d rather back our £22m striker who already has had a wonderful game against Everton and ensure he's getting more supply.

Well he did more in that 20 minutes than Wesley did in 3 other games.

Im not saying Wesley should be dropped. But I was pleasantly suprised by Davis. I though he would look way out of his league but he actually looked quite comfortable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/09/2019 at 14:21, TRO said:

Kent Villan made a good case for playing wingers, but they have to be effective, that's the key, for me.....if not your suggestions are valid.

Me.....I would go with 1 winger, with a licence to roam from wing to wing at discretion....and give us an added holding player.

It might be worth remembering that a holding player is not restricted to just a defensive role.....The good ones will be mindful to join the attack, when the initiative has been seized.....and the whole team moves forward.

That is another point when the team moves it should be in a block to avoid the opposition playing between our lines......at times its as if we just send out a raiding party and leave massive gaps for the opposition to counter on the turnover.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


×
×
  • Create New...
Â