Keinan Davis

a-k

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I really hope he's part of whatever medium-long term plan we have in place. 

Won't get too many starts until he learns to press like Abraham off the ball but I'm sure that'll come. 

That was the only slight negative yesterday, I thought he was a little bit lazy when Bristol were in possession. 

I think he just needs a good run but not sure we can afford to offer that sadly. Same age as Tammy, but Tammy has three full season loans where he delivered at a decent level (well maybe not at Swansea). Would love him and Tammy at the club as our striker options next season.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, screwdriver said:

all davis needs to do is add goals to his game.

he's got all the tools and his hold up play is better than tammy "touch of a trampoline" abraham and jimmy "falls over and rolls around kodjia.

He desperately needs take the chances when they come along  to bang a few in soon as he won't get the shirt off tammy.

remember this guy transformed us last season with his ability to hold up the ball back to goal. in the prem its crucial to retain possession.

he got a big contract but has he got the desire to make it? I watched a vid on youtube the players were on about their first motors.....most had bag of shit astras for their first car......Davis had a bmw 2 seriescoupe!

I like Davis, and given his background I really want to see him succeed.

But goals are the hardest thing to add to a game. It's a natural instinct rather than something that can be learned.

It's easy to forget how young Tammy is. In fact, he's only 8 months older than Davis. As a reminder he has 24 league goals for us this season.

I'd say it's easier to improve Tammy's control than it is to get Keinan's finishing up to Tammy's standard.

I hope they both turn out to be excellent strikers, both for Aston Villa, albeit with contrasting styles of play.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Look at what Heskey was doing at the same age , I don’t think Davis has anywhere the potential Heskey did. If he has half the career Heskey had he’s done well. 

I’m perfectly calm thank you.

Saying he has more tools than Heskey is not the same as saying he is a better player, with or without them. 

I don't actually agree anyway, Heskey was a much trickier player as a youngster than the player he evolved in to. The age thing is not relevant though, Davis has only just turned 21, was plucked from non-league football at 18 and has missed an entire year through injury. 

• Like 1

On 14/04/2019 at 12:26, screwdriver said:

all davis needs to do is add goals to his game.

he's got all the tools and his hold up play is better than tammy "touch of a trampoline" abraham and jimmy "falls over and rolls around kodjia.

He desperately needs take the chances when they come along  to bang a few in soon as he won't get the shirt off tammy.

remember this guy transformed us last season with his ability to hold up the ball back to goal. in the prem its crucial to retain possession.

he got a big contract but has he got the desire to make it? I watched a vid on youtube the players were on about their first motors.....most had bag of shit astras for their first car......Davis had a bmw 2 seriescoupe!

I agree with most of your post, but I fail to see the connection between the two bits I’ve highlighted in bold?

He reminds me of a young Hesky. Now I know big Emile gets a lot of stick on here but he was good enough to play at the top level for most of his career and also play umpteen games for England. If Davis can match that without being prolific, then he will have done well. He is a great option from the bench, when you are defending a lead. Defenders hate playing against him.

On 14/04/2019 at 21:40, NurembergVillan said:

I like Davis, and given his background I really want to see him succeed.

But goals are the hardest thing to add to a game. It's a natural instinct rather than something that can be learned.

It's easy to forget how young Tammy is. In fact, he's only 8 months older than Davis. As a reminder he has 24 league goals for us this season.

I'd say it's easier to improve Tammy's control than it is to get Keinan's finishing up to Tammy's standard.

I hope they both turn out to be excellent strikers, both for Aston Villa, albeit with contrasting styles of play.

Completely agree NV. He has so many positive aspects to his game apart from the main requisite fir a striker...scoring goals. As you say this is more of an inate ability that is hard to coach into a player. 

At best I can only ever seeing him being an 8-10 goals a season striker. Let’s just hope one day it just clicks with him. Would love him to succeed but fear promotion would probably be the end of his Villa career. 

Emile at the start of his career at Leicester and Liverpool was a decent striker. Scoring one in every 3.8 games. 

Keinans on 34 with 2 goals. 

Keinans link up play was very good yesterday. Even had a few chances. He is surprisingly good with his feet too. I think he is feeling the pressure that he isn't scoring and I'm hoping one will get his confidence up. 

Would still start with Kodija over him as we all know he can score. It'll put too much pressure on jack or John to come up with the goods. At the moment he is a fantastic impact sub.

• Like 1

I disagree with the sentiment that you can't coach "scoring goals", look at sterling's development under Pep. The boy has gone from being unable to finish a dinner to the highest shot success rate in the country.

Davis gets in the right positions, just seems to snatch at his chances or hesitate on the ball...this is something that can change with a bit of form/confidence.

• Like 1

The lack of goals must be playing on his mind. I'm sure he's desperate to score.

In my experience that's a good recipe to stop scoring. He has so much potential and I'll give him the benefit of the doubt—he comes so close so often and he will obviously be a true weapon if he sorts it out.

16 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

The lack of goals must be playing on his mind. I'm sure he's desperate to score.

In my experience that's a good recipe to stop scoring. He has so much potential and I'll give him the benefit of the doubt—he comes so close so often and he will obviously be a true weapon if he sorts it out.

I'm all for letting him sort it out. But now, at this crucial point of the season, is not the time.

I like him and he has a big role to play this season IMO. He's very good a lot of things but unfortunately finishing isn't one of those, yesterday summed him up, some great hold up play and did a lot of good things with the ball but looked poor in front of goal, a great example being a great bit of skill in the box to get past a defender but dragged his left footed shot wide of the goal, he also had a good chance with a header that he mistimed.

Ultimately he's still young enough to continue to invest in, finishing can be improved and if we get better finishing from him he'd be a good option to have for us at any level.

• Like 1

He needs a run in a confident villa team like this one, to make his mark.......We are judging him in an inconsistent villa team that was imbalanced.

I wouldn't give up on him just yet......he still has work to be done on his game.

could be another Keith Leonard.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This guy is going to be awesome. 

So much power, ability to hold the ball up and lay it off, already showing he is difficult to shake off the ball.  He's only going to get bigger and stronger.  The goals WILL come, I am delighted at the prospect of watching him develop over the next couple of years. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

He needs a run in a confident villa team like this one, to make his mark.......We are judging him in an inconsistent villa team that was imbalanced.

I wouldn't give up on him just yet......he still has work to be done on his game.

could be another Keith Leonard.

I'm judging him on spooning plenty of good chances. Two more yesterday. The second one would really have helped him as he did some good work before it.

Tammy gets away with it as he scores so many anyway and works so hard. Keinan can look at that as a good example.

I think Davis's finishing problem is that he's always trying to absolutely leather the ball, it's a bit... Telegraphed at this level, and allows you to get a foot in the way.  

He also ALWAYS shoots across the keeper, which is textbook and what you're told as a kid, but on a couple of occasions in the last week, you just want him to hit it hard, high and towards the near post.

Tammy is calm in front of goal, which gives him more time.  I think Davis rushes a little.. a bit more composure, which will come with confidence from netting a couple will help him on his way.

That said, if he can't learn how to finish, this will be his level in years to come (no shame in that!!)

• Like 1

Â