Keinan Davis

a-k

Just now, VillaChris said:

Didn't see enough I'm afraid to suggest he's capable of starting 5-10 prem matches next season if Ollie is out injured say for two months.

Odd good moment like the driving run at the end we know he's capable of but ultimately his link up play and general decision making is miles off Ollie's level and that became obvious when we got counter attacks going and some 4 on 3s and the moves just fizzled out.

We certainly will be needing to sign another forward in this window.

I think it's a guarantee we will. I'm not sure if Davis has a future here. 

We've invested too much in Wes to just write him off. And with Barry coming through, I'd imagine Davis will have very little opportunities. 

• Like 1

Just now, rbcuk said:

Just glad Watkins is only missing the one game, never looked like scoring with Davis up front, not good enough for this level

We looked like we did with Wesley up top last year. 

Watkins brings so much more to the team than either of them can. 

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

This is the problem when you only use 11 players 2/3 of a season.

When injuries start to pile up your benchplayers won't be matchfit.

phew its almost like you said a few weeks back was no point to sign a striker because Watkins never gets injured or suspended

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Exactly you need pace if your playing just one up top and them 2 don’t have it unlike Watkins 

Edited by rbcuk
  • Like 2

I don't think he was bad but I don't think he was particularly good either. Maybe with a few more minutes he probably could come good but it's hard to know. He had enough moments in the game but everyone was sloppy today.

• Like 1

Just now, DCJonah said:

I think it's a guarantee we will. I'm not sure if Davis has a future here. 

We've invested too much in Wes to just write him off. And with Barry coming through, I'd imagine Davis will have very little opportunities. 

I'd send Davis on 6 month loan, get him back in January for his last shot at premier league after he's hopefully started 20 odd games and scored a few goals. It should've happened years ago. He has at least not been injured for a while so that's a start.

Wes can revert to Davis role next season with whoever else we bring in. Just doing nothing in that area and continuing with Davis warming the bench and I'd struggle to understand the logic tbh as for a start it dosen't push Kienan on at all and we're basically crossing our fingers Ollie isn't out for even half the time Jack has been.

Just hoping 5-6 of ours can play every single minute of the 38 games simply isn't a viable strategy in the modern era, we've got more transfer windows to correct this if the manager really wants to.

Davis is better as a second half substitute. He bullys tired defenders and looks more effective. He should definitely get more than 5 minute run outs though. 20 minutes at the end I think is his window.

• Like 2

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

He wasn't great, but it's frustrating that his chance usually comes either in an impossible game, or a game where everyone else is shite.

Again, he wasn't great, but it's not entirely his fault.

The same issues in midfield are highlighted again.

There have been games like today where Ollie has looked crap as well.

The fact that Ollie can sometimes create for himself shouldn't paper over this fact.

Also, bare in mind, he has played very limited minutes, can't expect miracles.

We weren't that bad going forward first half. Yes AEG, Barkley and Traore constantly made the wrong decision but nothing new there and Ollie still scores pretty much a goal every 2.5 games with those either side of him in last four months.

What summed up Davis a bit was when he drifted to the right when Cash was legging it into space in the same area. Either he dosen't hear Cash shouting or just ignored him and in the end he completely ran into Cash and the move broke down so bit of a lack of game understanding there.

Was another occasion when we got a good counter attack going and it was a simple 10 yard pass infront of again Cash and instead the pass gets played behind and he has to check the run and the move slows down.

It's these little things you notice when Ollie isn't around so think I'm just happy he's been available for 95% of games this season as it's another key area where quality significantly drops when first choice is out.

You say it's never the sort of game where Davis can thrive but ultimately he's not a Bent style striker who can score from cross after cross otherwise his goal return would be so much better in last four years.

Today first half we were quickly getting the ball forward up to him as you'd expect but he wasn't quite reading it in time bar the odd flick on and hold up play mediocre.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I'd send Davis on 6 month loan, get him back in January for his last shot at premier league after he's hopefully started 20 odd games and scored a few goals. It should've happened years ago. He has at least not been injured for a while so that's a start.

tbh, if we did that, he'd be 24 when he comes back, I just can't see it. 

If we do keep him, I'd certainly loan him out rather than have him as 3rd choice when we only play 1 striker, and let him get some game time, but I wouldn't be reluctant at all to let him go to kickstart his career at a lower level if anyone will offer us a fee.

I really like him, but I don't see enough from him to see a role at the club for where we want to be. If Davis is getting minutes for us in a year or two, something has gone very, very wrong, IMO. 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

tbh, if we did that, he'd be 24 when he comes back, I just can't see it. 

If we do keep him, I'd certainly loan him out rather than have him as 3rd choice when we only play 1 striker, and let him get some game time, but I wouldn't be reluctant at all to let him go to kickstart his career at a lower level if anyone will offer us a fee.

I really like him, but I don't see enough from him to see a role at the club for where we want to be. Id Davis is getting gametime for us in a year or two, something has gone very, very wrong, IMO. 

Didn't he sign a new 3 year deal last summer? That sort of length indicates the loan thinking should still be there unless people just expect him to warm the bench for the next two seasons?

We won't be getting much for him if we sell him this summer either so decent loan will also boost his value a bit more.

I agree with your last point though. If say we were still in 14th-16th position you could argue it's worth keeping him around but we've improved a lot this year and after these two games v Everton it certainly dosen't feel impossible to finish above them next season and they'll finish top 8.

That task is harder with Davis being the first reserve striker option although ultimately Wes will take over that role start of next season.

Edited by VillaChris

11 minutes ago, rbcuk said:

Just glad Watkins is only missing the one game, never looked like scoring with Davis up front, not good enough for this level

I would say a bit harsh based on one game but he looked like a pub leave player at times.

Others he did some decent stuff but unfortunately he has no goal threat what so ever. As shown over a lot games even if they have been as sun.

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

We weren't that bad going forward first half. Yes AEG, Barkley and Traore constantly made the wrong decision but nothing new there and Ollie still scores pretty much a goal every 2.5 games with those either side of him in last four months.

What summed up Davis a bit was when he drifted to the right when Cash was legging it into space in the same area. Either he dosen't hear Cash shouting or just ignored him and in the end he completely ran into Cash and the move broke down so bit of a lack of game understanding there.

Was another occasion when we got a good counter attack going and it was a simple 10 yard pass infront of again Cash and instead the pass gets played behind and he has to check the run and the move slows down.

It's these little things you notice when Ollie isn't around so think I'm just happy he's been available for 95% of games this season as it's another key area where quality significantly drops when first choice is out.

You say it's never the sort of game where Davis can thrive but ultimately he's not a Bent style striker who can score from cross after cross otherwise his goal return would be so much better in last four years.

Today first half we were quickly getting the ball forward up to him as you'd expect but he wasn't quite reading it in time bar the odd flick on and hold up play mediocre.

Possibly also shows how underappreciated/good Ollie is as well to be fair.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Wes can revert to Davis role next season with whoever else we bring in. Just doing nothing in that area and continuing with Davis warming the bench and I'd struggle to understand the logic tbh as for a start it dosen't push Kienan on at all and we're basically crossing our fingers Ollie isn't out for even half the time Jack has been.

Just hoping 5-6 of ours can play every single minute of the 38 games simply isn't a viable strategy in the modern era, we've got more transfer windows to correct this if the manager really wants to.

Yeah it might be best if he goes out on loan, if not sold.  If are going to move up a level generally with players across the team he's just not this level already so go out and prove himself in the Championship and then reassess.  Today was a chance for him to really put himself about especially as both teams were at the beach and even though lack of service, he didnt put himself about like a player who wanted to prove himself and say to the manager that he wants to stay in the first XI.  This was a chance to say to Dean, he has a future here and he didnt take it.  It's only one game but I wouldve expected more from him in terms of effort and pressure on the Everton defence.  He really didnt change my opinion of him one bit and that disappoints me.

Just now, Follyfoot said:

Bizarrely never wanted a player to succeed more than him

If he had that attitude maybe he wouldve put himself a bit more about against Everton who looked at the beach.  Really wanted him to grab the game or his opportunity by the scruff of the neck and show what he can do but he just didnt, he looked at the beach as well.

16 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

To bw fair though the team last year was poorer than this one for wes

• Like 2

Â