Keinan Davis

a-k

3 hours ago, sparrow1988 said:

No, nobody should look at Burnley to see what we are lacking. They are a team 9 points behind us in spite of our horrendous form so obviously they are lacking more than us. Granted they won easily yesterday but to cite Burnley as an example of how our team can improve is not right. I assume your talking about physicality and willingness to fight for the ball but there are enough examples of this above us in the table to choose from.

I don't get why we should be aspiring to be more like a team 9 points behind us. They've conceded more goals than us and scored less. We have a better pass completion rate. We put pressure on the opposition player with the ball more than they do, we have attempted more tackles and won more tackles than them over the course of the season so far. Even in aerial duels, we are level with them.

What aspects of Burnley's play do you think would improve us?

Is your rant over?

I was picking on one aspect of their play and you go off on a tangent about every aspect of the two teams, as if it was a complete comparison,.....we are better than them at many things and a Burnley fan could say why are we not like vIlla at this, that or the other.

We are a better team than Burnley, we all know that, but you are reading what you want and not of what is being said.

I was depicting one aspect of the game....and I still stand by it....Burnley could teach us a thing of two about physicality and purpose...maybe thats why they took 4 points off us.

your last line is easy.....Physicality...particulary in midfield.

Chuffed to bits for him. The ultimate irony that he put away quite a difficult chance - having missed easier ones in the past.

He certainly has the ability to worry opposition defenders. I just wonder if its too little too late. needs a few more before the end of the season.

25 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Thing is Keinan Davis is raw, an unpolished diamond.

He was playing lower-league football for so long but he's obviously liked by Smith. I'm fine with that.

Davis is the strongest player at Villa, he is quick and has some skill. He just needs to work on his shooting and confidence.

Even if we buy another striker Davis still has a role to play.

Watkins, Abraham, Wesley, Davis, Barry.

This is similar to Wesleys story, and even Ollie Watkins as a matter of fact.

Scraped their way up from the very bottom, the hard way, raw, with potential.

It seems Deano likes these attributes in players.

EDIT: I think Wesley started training/trying to be a pro much later than them as well. So even more raw. Being here will have helped no end, injury was a terrible shame.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Thing is Keinan Davis is raw, an unpolished diamond.

He was playing lower-league football for so long but he's obviously liked by Smith. I'm fine with that.

Davis is the strongest player at Villa, he is quick and has some skill. He just needs to work on his shooting and confidence.

Even if we buy another striker Davis still has a role to play.

Watkins, Abraham, Wesley, Davis, Barry.

Its a paradox....He needs more game time, for us to be sure, one way or the other.

I was delighted, when he scored and as has been said, many would not have chased that ball down.....He showed Aggression, which we have be short on...

The problem is with all our players as you progress as gradual as it is, the players have to show more consistency.....you will get away with hit and miss players in the championship, this league, you have to be at it constantly.

His injuries have thwarted his personal progress....but there is something about this lad, I really like......He is not a Chris Wood yet, but he could be.

He offers another dimension to our play, when he is in, another weapon, for the opposition to worry about....I really hope it works for him.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, TRO said:

Is your rant over?

I was picking on one aspect of their play and you go off on a tangent about every aspect of the two teams, as if it was a complete comparison,.....we are better than them at many things and a Burnley fan could say why are we not like vIlla at this, that or the other.

We are a better team than Burnley, we all know that, but you are reading what you want and not of what is being said.

I was depicting one aspect of the game....and I still stand by it....Burnley could teach us a thing of two about physicality and purpose...maybe thats why they took 4 points off us.

your last line is easy.....Physicality...particulary in midfield.

It wasn't really a rant, just a post detailing why we shouldn't be looking to Burnley to see where we can improve.

Regarding physicality - which one of their bruising midfielders would you take? Ashley Westwood or Jack Cork?

Physicality and purpose are fairly subjective. We win the ball more often than they do in midfield so I don't think that they can teach us a thing or two about physicality and purpose in midfield.

Edited by sparrow1988

18 minutes ago, hippo said:

23 Years old - what is his contract situation ? 

Pretty sure he signed a new long term deal last summer.

We should've loaned him out in 19/20 imo. We had Wes and Kodjia back then so no different to this season and just going with Watkins and Davis for vast majority of season as our only out and out forwards.

Given all the stick Traore is getting now I see the idea he could fill in as CF has been very quietly dropped.

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Chuffed to bits for him. The ultimate irony that he put away quite a difficult chance - having missed easier ones in the past.

This. People have slated him for ages being the least dangerous goalscorer ever, and his first goal is exactly the sort of goal great goalscorers tend to get.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

It wasn't really a rant, just a post detailing why we shouldn't be looking to Burnley to see where we can improve.

Regarding physicality - which one of their bruising midfielders would you take? Ashley Westwood or Jack Cork?

Physicality and purpose are fairly subjective. We win the ball more often than they do in midfield so I don't think that they can teach us a thing or two about physicality and purpose in midfield.

I happen to think Westwood, is as good as anything we have in midfield right now, Dwight McNeill is a better winger too.

I despise Mee for the tackle on Wesley....just to let you know, I know the difference between, robust challenging and foul play.

I have already explained, it was one aspect of their play and you still don't get it, do you?

Oh and you don't have to be a bruiser, to challenge for the ball.

If you think we have the physicality of Burnley in our DNA.....I'll leave it there.

ps Specsavers closes at 5.00pm

18 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

This. People have slated him for ages being the least dangerous goalscorer ever, and his first goal is exactly the sort of goal great goalscorers tend to get.

Ironically, true.

It was a goal to be proud of.....Vardy type.

• Like 1

He had to jump pretty high to connect with the ball, like doing the hurdles at the Olympics, well done Keinan Davis! And from a photo on AVFC it looks like he stabbed the ball in with the sole of his foot (the front half), like a karate kick. Not so easy to pull off successfully. Great technique and athleticism right at the death. 👍

Edited by robby b

44 minutes ago, TRO said:

I happen to think Westwood, is as good as anything we have in midfield right now, Dwight McNeill is a better winger too.

I despise Mee for the tackle on Wesley....just to let you know, I know the difference between, robust challenging and foul play.

I have already explained, it was one aspect of their play and you still don't get it, do you?

Oh and you don't have to be a bruiser, to challenge for the ball.

If you think we have the physicality of Burnley in our DNA.....I'll leave it there.

ps Specsavers closes at 5.00pm

I do get it. I'm not suggesting that you're looking for players to go around injuring people. You think Burnley are more physical that us and are more willing to put in a challenge. I presented some evidence to say that they are not as physical as you think. In fact they are pretty similar to us. You didn't produce any evidence to the contrary just your opinion.

Maybe they come across as more physical because they don't engage the oppositon until 30 yards from their own box and then when they start defending it's a kind of a heroic/last ditch effort whereas our defending is more low key than theirs and actually more efficient. We have played some games with last ditch defending, the Southampton game away was a very Burnley type performance from us but let's face it we should have been beaten back up the motorway that night.

My original point was Burnley are not the example that we need to follow, even in terms of physicality. There are many better teams ahead of us in the table which would be much better examples. Liverpool, Chelsea, Everton, City, even Leeds. We should be aiming to win the ball higher up the pitch and more often. Burnley's sitting deep, "Battle of the Somme" type defending is not the way to go to achieve this.

Is every thread turning into a 'we need a big DM' thread? 

Really pleased for Keinan. My biggest gripe with Smith is that he's not been given as much of a chance as I think he should have. I think without Jack we play better with him in the team.

4 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

His goal showed excellent predatory instinct and aggression. If he gets 2/3 more before end of season I think he will be useful to us next season.

Same with Wesley if he gets a goal or two there's no reason to doubt that they'd both be useful to deputise for Ollie.

I think his instinct is quite good even when he started, just his finishing is poor. He usually hits it straight at the keeper 

Love nearly everything about Keinan and would be brilliant to see him make it . I even think he gets himself into really good positions like a natural goalscorer.  He can get the ball out of his feet really well to shoot. But the one bit he doesnt have is the very last part of the process. The timing of a strike of the ball. So often theres no power in the shot alot like Wesley. Can that be taught in your early 20s? 

Watch Louie Barry and the reason he will make it is the way he strikes a ball. Despite Keinan being a far more powerful individual Barry times the ball so much better. His hard shots are venemous and even shots like the one against liverpool just fly in the net with timing and placement.  

Anyway i really like the lad and hope he can do it but its a fundamental skill that he needs to develop and i really don't know if its too late or not

The one thing that has worried me regarding Davis as a striker was/is his apparent lack of a killer instinct in the box. The goal last night and the earlier chance he engineered for himself with a lovely turn prove he has that in his locker. Great work now let's see if he can start and perform well for 90 minutes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rolta said:

Is every thread turning into a 'we need a big DM' thread? 

Really pleased for Keinan. My biggest gripe with Smith is that he's not been given as much of a chance as I think he should have. I think without Jack we play better with him in the team.

but we do.

Â