Keinan Davis

a-k

3 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Whoscored lists Davis as having played the attacking midfield role in both the Fulham game and West Brom game when he went on. He was playing behind Ollie and was essentially playing Barkley's role. I think the role suits him, he's good at making things happen which is what we want in a player like that in that role. I think we should continue trying Davis out in this role considering the success he's had in it so far before trying to push Watkins out wide.

Good point, got the strength as well which is a huge asset up there.

3 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

Struck the ball Well when he hit the post also, delighted he finally got his goal fantastic attitude to keep at it many would have given up 

He did well to move the ball out of his feet there. Also showed some decent footwork a few minutes earlier but scuffed the shot. 

10 minutes, 3 chances, 1 goal - give this man a fair chance!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I think when we say " Wing " it scares people. ( Even though Ollie has experience as a winger and often goes wide anyway )

I mean, even if we could do a relatively narrow 4 - 3 - 3 and call him a wide forward I think it could work.

Cash and Targett providing a bulk of the width and running.

Most top half prem teams play with wide forwards. I mean Rashford started as CF and got moved to left wing. Pretty sure Son was signed as alternative to Kane and got quickly shifted to left. Werner played mostly since January wide and you have Salah and Mane who were pretty central at previous clubs but play wide for Liverpool, Richarlison at Everton etc.

I reckon if we'd signed Jared Bowen in Jan 2020 he'd have played every single minute for us at CF. Whenever I watch West Ham he's always playing wide of Antonio unless he's injured and then he fills in at CF as he did yesterday.

It just feels a bit odd to think Ollie couldn't fill in out wide on occasions as he's got the technique for it. No one is saying he should play 30 + games out there but plan A hasn't worked out too well in last two months so DS needs to spend the summer thinking of alternative attacking strategies as not convinced we'll sign the proven quality we'll need in final third.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, useless said:

Too many live in la la land, and think all we need to do to fix our problems is sign a bunch of flair players. We need players that will get stuck in and up the tempo.

You only had to watch Burnley today, to see what we lack.

Another great cameo and helped change the game positively again, I really struggle to see how people bash him constantly, too many stattos who don't watch the game.

He will need to improve his finishing and if he can, he's got the tools to be a top striker. Unbelievable strength that can bully defenders, decent pace and very good technique. He's got the highest potential ceiling of all our forwards and I see much more potential in him than Wesley but these last few games of the season could be make or break for him.

Would be great to see him get a run of games with Watkins playing in wide forward role while Grealish is out.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, M_Afro said:

So pleased for him. A season on loan in the Championship will do him the world of good. He can be a player but he needs to play to learn.

12 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

Im sure we won’t want to lose hime, as he’s a valuable option ,but he might be wanting to go elsewhere to play week in week out

If you look at some of the top teams, well. and even some of the not so top ones, alot of them have a " Keinan Davis " type, not sure who I could use as an example, an Origi, Glenn Murray? ( Or any of the ones who rarely start for their teams, but always come on for opposition and score against us )

Basically, they might never be prolific, or world beaters, but they have a knack of doing an important job when needed and grabbing vital points.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

If you look at some of the top teams, well. and even some of the not so top ones, alot of them have a " Keinan Davis " type, not sure who I could use as an example, an Origi, Glenn Murray? ( Or any of the ones who rarely start for their teams, but always come on for opposition and score against us )

Basically, they might never be prolific, or world beaters, but they have a knack of doing an important job when needed and grabbing vital points.

Agreed, but Davis might want to get more minutes elsewhere for his own sake? Or we have managed him well to overcome long term niggling injury’s by not overplaying him like Bruce did 

1 hour ago, sparrow1988 said:

No, nobody should look at Burnley to see what we are lacking. They are a team 9 points behind us in spite of our horrendous form so obviously they are lacking more than us. Granted they won easily yesterday but to cite Burnley as an example of how our team can improve is not right. I assume your talking about physicality and willingness to fight for the ball but there are enough examples of this above us in the table to choose from.

I don't get why we should be aspiring to be more like a team 9 points behind us. They've conceded more goals than us and scored less. We have a better pass completion rate. We put pressure on the opposition player with the ball more than they do, we have attempted more tackles and won more tackles than them over the course of the season so far. Even in aerial duels, we are level with them.

What aspects of Burnley's play do you think would improve us?

PASHUN

1 hour ago, sparrow1988 said:

No, nobody should look at Burnley to see what we are lacking. They are a team 9 points behind us in spite of our horrendous form so obviously they are lacking more than us. Granted they won easily yesterday but to cite Burnley as an example of how our team can improve is not right. I assume your talking about physicality and willingness to fight for the ball but there are enough examples of this above us in the table to choose from.

I don't get why we should be aspiring to be more like a team 9 points behind us. They've conceded more goals than us and scored less. We have a better pass completion rate. We put pressure on the opposition player with the ball more than they do, we have attempted more tackles and won more tackles than them over the course of the season so far. Even in aerial duels, we are level with them.

What aspects of Burnley's play do you think would improve us?

Burnley are a dirty team, but some people want us to play like we are in the 1980s, many Bruce fans I would say.

• Thanks 1

In the coming years Davis/Wesley and Watkins/Barry could form a Heskey and Owen style partnership. Davis/Wesley physically disrupting defences, creating space for Watkins/Barry to exploit with their speed and movement.

I still think we should buy a world class (or as close to) striker this summer, but we still have an interesting project to develop if we don't.

I would play him on the right over Traore, he has good feet and can give a real back post threat.

Overall though im very pleased for him, gets on with it quietly and has waited for a chance which looking at recent sub performances he is taking - Shame Cash was sent off v City as that was his only real opportunity of a full half

His goal showed excellent predatory instinct and aggression. If he gets 2/3 more before end of season I think he will be useful to us next season.

Same with Wesley if he gets a goal or two there's no reason to doubt that they'd both be useful to deputise for Ollie.

Thing is Keinan Davis is raw, an unpolished diamond.

He was playing lower-league football for so long but he's obviously liked by Smith. I'm fine with that.

Davis is the strongest player at Villa, he is quick and has some skill. He just needs to work on his shooting and confidence.

Even if we buy another striker Davis still has a role to play.

Watkins, Abraham, Wesley, Davis, Barry.

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang
  • Like 1

Â