Keinan Davis

a-k

11 hours ago, barry'sboots said:

Citeh are a fantastic side.  They should be - the owners have spent over a billion in the last 5 or 6 years or so and employed a fantastic manager.  Their players are all £50m + players and they are very interchangeable.  They will beat most sides in this league 9 times out of ten plus.

That's not an excuse for not optimising your chances of getting a result though is it? And to do that with a limited side, as we are at the minute, you have to set that side up in the optimal way.  I am not saying that, if we had set the side up how I stated we would have beaten them, I am just saying that I think we would have had a better chance of doing so.

I am not disagreeing with your sentiment, I am more inclined to see it as more of a mentality, thing.

We beat the league champions 7-2 this season and we know that can't be done, regularly....but we did it and this side can be beaten as Leeds and Chelsea have recently proved if you approach the game right....Jack can't always be there, the others have to step up.....there was no Zest or zeal about us, just a bunch intent on giving the ball away to a sharp pressing team, intent on winning it....they are great passers and movers, but their off the ball work is just pure coaching, they didn't give us a minutes peace, in contrast we just stand off and shadow.....you might as well have a white flag.

There was an inevitability about much of our work tonight that spelled second best....It seemed our goal shocked us, more than it shocked them.....the mentality was just not right, and I don't think it has been for a while now.....This wasn't just Man City tonight, it could have been a number of teams we would have struggled with.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I am not disagrreing with your sentiment, I am more inclined to see it as more of a mentality, thing.

We beat the league champions 7-2 this season

Start of the season though. Other teams have copped on to us. Not necessarily a criticism of Smith but always playing the same eleven in the same formation will have teams suss how to nullify you.

7 hours ago, Enda said:

Start of the season though. Other teams have copped on to us. Not necessarily a criticism of Smith but always playing the same eleven in the same formation will have teams suss how to nullify you.

Its not the formation, in my view.

I would have no problem, setting up against Villa......The first goal epitomised, what we are capable of......but in terms of containment and looking after the ball, we are pants....we get so easily panicked off the ball by willing runners, its untrue....This happens against lesser teams than Man City or Liverpool, so its no wonder they look good against us.

Its a serious issue that needs fixing.

We can't keep turning to Jack for comfort and to mask over things .....The flaws need rectifying.

Edited by TRO

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Its not the formation, in my view.

I would have no problem, setting up against Villa......The first goal epitomised, what we are capable of......but in terms of containment and looking after the ball, we are pants....we get so easily panicked off the ball by willing runners, its untrue....This happens against lesser teams than Man City or Liverpool, so its no wonder they look good against us.

Its a serious issue that needs fixing.

I agree with your point about it now being a mental thing.  We seem to be devoid of all confidence and the coaching team seem completely unable to address this.

However, we are not the first team to get into a rut/downward spiral but something needs to change to get out of that.  We need to try things and hope that we might get a spark, alongside other methods that a coach might use.  Changing personnel/formation is one thing that might provide that - it did against Fulham??  We can't just keep sleepwalking into terrible performances and not trying to shake things up can we?

7 minutes ago, Mister_a said:

I’d stick him on from the start vs wba. Championship is more his level and at least we can see if he can make a difference given more time.

This. If he can't perform at home against the 19th placed team in the league then he really should be loaned to a lower league team to see where he is best suited.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

This. If he can't perform at home against the 19th placed team in the league then he really should be loaned to a lower league team to see where he is best suited.

I think it's slightly unfair to ask a player to perform when you're thrown in like that. He obviously has to show something, but it's worth keeping in mind most players need s run of matches to get up to pace. Davis has never really gotten that.

He MUST show something, but I hope people assess his performance some what objectively - if he plays. 

• Like 2

Shoot me down for this...

But, I would start Davis upfront in this game, move Ollie out a bit wider in an attacking role.

Wesley can come on for Davis with about 15 minutes to go.

If no Wesley, then when Keinan comes off, move Ollie back upfront and bring on El Ghazi for the remainder.

Just a thought.

• Like 4

Deserves a start over most the mugs that yet again let us down today.

Been treated really badly by management.

Always has an impact then next week he's not brought on and then week after or so get 10 minutes.

It is poor. Its really poor.

• Like 1

Just now, holteend1982 said:

Needs to start a game, everytime he comes on he's a handful. Before his goal he created more chances in those 6 minutes than anyone else in the previous 80 odd, him up front with Watkins playing off him could be great. 

What it does show is another striker can co-exist with Ollie.

We just need to find one DS actually trusts to put on after 60 minutes and start the odd game next season.

• Like 1

Â