Keinan Davis

a-k

3 hours ago, Pez1974 said:

We're all entitled to our opinions, but the vast majority on here seem really happy with this.

Perhaps a comparison to Emile Heskey is fair in the circumstances?
He was a 1 in 5 striker over his career (1 in 10 for us!), and 1 in 4 at his best for Leicester and Liverpoo. And he got 62 caps for England over a period of 11 years. He played 4 years for Liverpool - not their best team, but he won stuff. He also played 2 years for SHA, so he wasn't that good either.
One might think he wasn't deserving of all of this, but many people far more knowledgeable about the game than I saw his worth.

If Keinan started 38 games a season, would I think he'd get 8-10 goals (i.e. 1 in4/5)? Yeah, maybe. And with more development it'd be more likely.(I'm not saying this is good enough for this team).
He may have 5 in 68 now, but how many of them were off the bench, for the last 15 minutes? What is his goals per 90 minutes?

I have hope. But not expectation. 
And if he improves only a bit, we could probably sell him for £20m to Brentford 😉

Every player in a team has to add something different to make the whole......to have too many players with the same attributes breeds unbalance and leaves you short on the missing ones.....opposition teams can pick you off more easily.

The folk who say he doesen't score enough are right, but the attributes he has cannot be be just swept under the carpet as incidental....Keinan needs to add goals to his game, we all know that, but lets not throw him under the bus, when the things he has got right now are welcome to the team when we are looking to hold a lead.....We haven't got commanding midfielders so his physicality at times is more than welcome in containing the opposition.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

I'm chuffed for him. I'm really glad the club sees the potential and have decided to keep him on. Good pace, decent technically, great in the air, strong and has good intelligence/awareness. He seems to be learning and improving which speaks well for his professionalism and he always works hard. Just waiting for the player to become at least the sum of his parts and I'm glad he will have the opportunity to do it with us.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, nick76 said:

Did I say that! No

Whatever we’ll not agree on Davis, he needs to go out on loan now to build up confidence and score “some” goals because however good your other attributes are if you score virtually no goals you won’t make it as a striker in the PL.

You used an analogy of a math teacher that was a lovely guy but no good at math. So either you're saying he's no good at football, or you're saying his value to the club should be mostly based on his poor goal scoring record. None of which makes much sense to me. 

Your second statement I agree more with, but I'd say its too early to conclude this and theres been PL strikers that made a long good career without being prolific goal scorers, i.e Heskey.

36 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

He's deceptively good with his feet technically methinks. Often when he gets the ball I expect him to be fairly useless with it and fumble/ fall over, but he tends to wriggle his way through with it. 

Agreed. He is not 100% consistent, however he does have decent close control, is able to shift the ball well between his feet and has a bit of a bag of tricks too. I do like that he is happy when 1 on 1 with a defender to drive at them and try to go past them. For me when his control goes wrong it is his brain being ahead of his body, he is trying to spin off a defender before completing they lay off or something like that. This can be coached and improved with experience and the calmness that comes with it.

1 hour ago, trom_borg said:

You used an analogy of a math teacher that was a lovely guy but no good at math. So either you're saying he's no good at football, or you're saying his value to the club should be mostly based on his poor goal scoring record. None of which makes much sense to me. 

Your second statement I agree more with, but I'd say its too early to conclude this and theres been PL strikers that made a long good career without being prolific goal scorers, i.e Heskey.

Nobody is asking for prolific and since you mention Heskey he still scored his fair share of goals by the same age and through his career.  There is no arguing that strikers don’t all have to be prolific but to play in this role you still need to contribute somewhat and when you compare to Heskey who is always seen as an alternative to prolific strikers Davis is still incredibly short .  

Davis doesn’t even come close to Heskey who you compare to so he needs some time loaned out to get this part of his game If it’s in his locker.  Just like anything you need to improve key components and 10 minutes here and there at Villa won’t do that.

61BBF77E-37AD-4B68-9A66-04DC44F0B538.jpeg

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, villa89 said:

I don't think he'll be loaned out as we need to him to bolster the squad. He'll get minutes this season it's up to him to improve his goal scoring.

I genuinely hope he does improve his scoring then because with rumours of Samatta virtually gone we are down to Watkins and Davis in the near term with option of Traore.  So depending on who else we bring in as well but we need more goals from our main striker and that’s a lot of pressure solely on Watkins who we hope also doesn’t get injured.  We need another striker if Samatta goes.

Edited by nick76

16 hours ago, Pez1974 said:

We're all entitled to our opinions, but the vast majority on here seem really happy with this.

Perhaps a comparison to Emile Heskey is fair in the circumstances?
He was a 1 in 5 striker over his career (1 in 10 for us!), and 1 in 4 at his best for Leicester and Liverpoo. And he got 62 caps for England over a period of 11 years. He played 4 years for Liverpool - not their best team, but he won stuff. He also played 2 years for SHA, so he wasn't that good either.
One might think he wasn't deserving of all of this, but many people far more knowledgeable about the game than I saw his worth.

If Keinan started 38 games a season, would I think he'd get 8-10 goals (i.e. 1 in4/5)? Yeah, maybe. And with more development it'd be more likely.(I'm not saying this is good enough for this team).
He may have 5 in 68 now, but how many of them were off the bench, for the last 15 minutes? What is his goals per 90 minutes?

I have hope. But not expectation. 
And if he improves only a bit, we could probably sell him for £20m to Brentford 😉

i think the comparison to emile is fair, but the problem is that he worked best with a goalscorer along side him. holding it up, flicking it on etc. goalscorers like Owen loved playing with him. the problem with us is that we play one up top so he's just not going to be as effective in our current system.

i personally would like to see him loaned out. i do think he'll be a great asset for us, but i think he needs regular game time first. he's not going to get it this season. he's currently 3rd choice, when wes is fit he'll be 4th.

• Like 1

I'll just put this out there right now.

Keinan Davis is going to be a truly top class footballer and if you don't think so you are deliberately not looking. 

Can't believe some of the stick he's had on here in the past. Everytime he's played he's looked great and now he's just getting better and better each game. 

Superb technique. I think he'll go all the way, I really do. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

I'll just put this out there right now.

Keinan Davis is going to be a truly top class footballer and if you don't think so you are deliberately not looking. 

Can't believe some of the stick he's had on here in the past. Everytime he's played he's looked great and now he's just getting better and better each game. 

Superb technique. I think he'll go all the way, I really do. 

Let’s not get carried away mate. He is a good player with bags of potential but he still lacks that killer instinct. He should have it by now.

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Let’s not get carried away mate. He is a good player with bags of potential but he still lacks that killer instinct. He should have it by now.

Don't forget that he started his career late. The killer instinct is coming. Davis is going to the top.

Â