Keinan Davis

a-k

1 minute ago, trom_borg said:

If you argue here that Davis has no attributes as a footballer I simply have nothing else to say to you on this topic 

Did I say that! No

Whatever we’ll not agree on Davis, he needs to go out on loan now to build up confidence and score “some” goals because however good your other attributes are if you score virtually no goals you won’t make it as a striker in the PL.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Whilst accepting that football is all about opinions, if your opinion of Davis is that he’s shit then I really don’t think you understand the subject matter sorry.

Oh wise one please give us more of your wisdom! 😴

I agree with what people say, he's great at holding the ball up and bringing others into the game, no question about it. If he adds goals to his game, we all know he is a real asset.

The problem is, and I can't stress this enough, one key reason we struggled last season was lack of goals. In particular we had no out and out goalscorer. We may or may not get that with Watkins, time will tell, though even if he does well it's probably still 10-15 goals so we still need more from elsewhere. We're taking a huge risk expecting Davis to suddenly start hitting double figures this season when he hasn't done it before.

As I say, best solution in my view is to bring in another attacker and let Davis develop his game in the Championship. Have thought this since we stayed up and still think the same. 

Not a starting striker but he’s an excellent option off the bench, especially if defending a nervy lead as the ball just sticks to him if you need to clear your lines and you can push the team up the pitch. 

If he’s not going to go out on loan then he should start all the cup games now to try and get more goals into his game and become more well rounded. I just hope his injury woes are behind him as I think he can have a good top flight career if he can stay fit.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Should give Nyland another chance then because he has a lot more to him than his goalkeeping 😂😂😂

There's probably something in this, although most likely not in the way you mean.

There's been a move in recent times away from goalkeepers who are just shot stoppers - the move to the sweeper keeper who can move the ball along, and who has great distribution - Pep for example would have hated Mark Bosnich. "Goalkeeping" and "Goalscoring" are not the same thing - one aspect of goalkeeping, say being good from crosses is perhaps comparable to one aspect of forward play, say being good in the air - but goalkeeping is a group of abilities and goalscoring is a single attribute.

Keinan is like a keeper with great feet and fantastic distribution who can catch a cross in a crowd, but can't stop a decent effort on goal. He's got a flaw, he's helpfully working on it - but the other stuff he does well is very, very good - he's by no means the finished article and he might never be, but I think he's worth the gamble.

Delighted he's got a new contract and by the looks of it, with the majority. The lad can play, his hold up play is good, he's young, quick, very strong, works defenders and has good feet and YES we all know strikers are judged on how many goals they score and this is one fault that we ALL share, I still feel that he contributes really well to the team/squad and goals will come, he just has to keep working at it. I don't get the idea that he should play elsewhere, for me he is a front man, someone to get it into and for it to stick then get players playing off him, but he also has the ability to chase it in the channels (similar to the Burton goal). I wouldn't loan him out at all at the moment. Currently the pecking order is (1) Watkins (2) Davis (3) Samatta (4) Wesley (inj.) - Once Wes is fit, he goes alongside Davis and they both have it to prove who is best equipped. Only if Samatta leaves and we get someone in like Edouard and Wesley proves his fitness would then I loan Keinan to a Championship side.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, samjp26 said:

He’s so strong and actually has good ball control, I think the label of “striker” is the only reason people doubt him. 

Is he a striker? IMO he’s some sort of attacking midfielder, or a defensive forward maybe a better title. He’s not a prolific goal scorer but his ability on the ball is vastly underrated, him and Jack seem to link up well too. Really think he would thrive in a pairing with an actual strike partner, the ball sticks to him, impeccable hold up play and it goes under the radar how much he can impact our style of play 

I feel for him, but he does have to score goals......he might be a late starter and just click.

Don't forget Jack attracted split opinions until he added strength to his game and then the talent took over unabatted....He learnt how to deal with the physical side.

Keinan knows how to deal with that, he just needs to add composure and goal scoring to his game, I think intelligent movement will help him.....He can do it....He is still only 22, some of the good goalscorers only come alive at 22.....if he was 25, I might have a different opinion.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Whilst accepting that football is all about opinions, if your opinion of Davis is that he’s shit then I really don’t think you understand the subject matter sorry.

Not scoring goals doesn’t make someone shit, it just means they’re not a natural goalscorer (yet).

Great news, come on Davis, prove the doubters wrong.

bUt hE DoeSnT scOrE gOalZ

39 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Did I say that! No

Whatever we’ll not agree on Davis, he needs to go out on loan now to build up confidence and score “some” goals because however good your other attributes are if you score virtually no goals you won’t make it as a striker in the PL.

Its hard to argue against that Nick and yes he does have to score goals.....but there have been no runaway scorers on our books since Tammy left.

I see flaws of some sort, in just about every player, we have.....but I see the improvement towards complete players getting better too......He is still only 22....I have seen late starters before and the rest of his game is certainly no risk to our perfomances, on the contrary, he holds the ball up very well....I know its not enough, we need goals to survive.

I am really torn between letting him go out on loan and staying with us and getting game time towards the end of games.....maybe he will learn more with us and our players....he might be messed about on loan.

I really like him, but am frustrated for him at the same time.....I am hoping he scores every time he plays......That Konsa goal would have benifitted him more......Albeit Konsa is coming on well too

Edited by TRO

Great news that the club has so much faith in  Davis that he’s signed a new 4 year contract. I think he will go on to have a very good career, hopefully with us. It’s a fairytale story that we signed Davis from non-league Biggleswade Town and he has gone to be a regular squad member with us. I’m surprised that he hasn’t gone out on loan, maybe that’s the next step in his development, I don’t know. His ability to hold the ball up and bring others in to play is the best in our squad I think. Hopefully, now he can go on a goalscoring run and gain some confidence 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

There's probably something in this, although most likely not in the way you mean.

There's been a move in recent times away from goalkeepers who are just shot stoppers - the move to the sweeper keeper who can move the ball along, and who has great distribution - Pep for example would have hated Mark Bosnich. "Goalkeeping" and "Goalscoring" are not the same thing - one aspect of goalkeeping, say being good from crosses is perhaps comparable to one aspect of forward play, say being good in the air - but goalkeeping is a group of abilities and goalscoring is a single attribute.

Keinan is like a keeper with great feet and fantastic distribution who can catch a cross in a crowd, but can't stop a decent effort on goal. He's got a flaw, he's helpfully working on it - but the other stuff he does well is very, very good - he's by no means the finished article and he might never be, but I think he's worth the gamble.

agree with all of that, except this bit .... "goalscoring is a single attribute"

I respectfully disagree.....and there are many types of Goal scorers who employ different attributes as their main weapon......

To score goals regularly, many attributes need to be employed....Vardy for instance has quite different ones from Giroud.....and Kane is much different from Aguero......but they all score goals and have much more than one single attribute.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

We're all entitled to our opinions, but the vast majority on here seem really happy with this.

Perhaps a comparison to Emile Heskey is fair in the circumstances?
He was a 1 in 5 striker over his career (1 in 10 for us!), and 1 in 4 at his best for Leicester and Liverpoo. And he got 62 caps for England over a period of 11 years. He played 4 years for Liverpool - not their best team, but he won stuff. He also played 2 years for SHA, so he wasn't that good either.
One might think he wasn't deserving of all of this, but many people far more knowledgeable about the game than I saw his worth.

If Keinan started 38 games a season, would I think he'd get 8-10 goals (i.e. 1 in4/5)? Yeah, maybe. And with more development it'd be more likely.(I'm not saying this is good enough for this team).
He may have 5 in 68 now, but how many of them were off the bench, for the last 15 minutes? What is his goals per 90 minutes?

I have hope. But not expectation. 
And if he improves only a bit, we could probably sell him for £20m to Brentford 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â