Keinan Davis

a-k

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

When Davis chested the ball down and played through Trezeguet which could have easily been a goal with better finishing. Is that not a valid contribution to you?

Making space for others because of great hold of play doesn't matter? All that matters is goals?

If Davis can perform like he did against Leicester the players around him will find space and get into great positions. I'm sure Keinan will score some goals too if given a chance.

I never thought i'd agree with a comment from you this much, but here we are.

Bang on, Smith's attacking-patterns and overall system does not rely on a poacher.

• Like 2

I'm a big fan of Davis and am not unduly concerned that he doesn't appear to be a natural finisher. He brings so much more to the team in his hold up play which is particularly important given Smith's vision of how he wants us to play through the lines. With our possession stats as low as they are, not having someone in his mould has been a considerable hindrance throughout the season. When he receives the ball with his back to goal I rarely worry that he's going to lose it. Having someone you can rely on to do that allows the rest of the team to move forward with confidence and play higher up the pitch.McGoldrick still hasn't scored a league goal for Sheff Utd but is invaluable to the team.

We haven't struggled for goals even without a top striker, so whether he scores or not is not so relevant as to whether we win matches. I think his presence would only contribute to more goals and assists from Jack.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, chips'ngravy said:

I'm a big fan of Davis and am not unduly concerned that he doesn't appear to be a natural finisher. He brings so much more to the team in his hold up play which is particularly important given Smith's vision of how he wants us to play through the lines. With our possession stats as low as they are, not having someone in his mould has been a considerable hindrance throughout the season. When he receives the ball with his back to goal I rarely worry that he's going to lose it. Having someone you can rely on to do that allows the rest of the team to move forward with confidence and play higher up the pitch.McGoldrick still hasn't scored a league goal for Sheff Utd but is invaluable to the team.

We haven't struggled for goals even without a top striker, so whether he scores or not is not so relevant as to whether we win matches. I think his presence would only contribute to more goals and assists from Jack.

I share your view to a degree....but I think you will find, your view ,while valid, wears thin with fans eventually......they have to do what it says on the tin.

A striker has to score goals, goals change games as we all know....not scoring adds pressure to the team.....its very noble to seek out other attributes, but they have to score.

Goals are the only stat that really matters,for or against...... the other stats are just cosmetic in the main.

Just now, DCJonah said:

He was excellent. 

Maybe we need to go 3-5-2 

That is exactly what we should be playing.

sheff utd sitting 5th playing that......i know formation is not the be all and end all, but i think you are right.

• Like 1

On 30/01/2020 at 11:04, nick76 said:

Yeah I know, seems I’m definitely in the minority on this.  I just don’t see it, I’ve even tried to focus on him during games before his injury to see what the fuss is about.  I see his hold up play and dropping deep but I just don’t see potential/talent inside the box, creating chances and he definitely isn’t a scorer...just holds up the ball and lays off occasionally.

Somebody mentioned Heskey and I felt the same about him but I know how he was loved by some fans and his teammates loved him.....I thought he was a donkey.

As I’ve said I hope I’m wrong, I’m definitely in the minority here and hope he becomes a hero/success and I become a hypocrite and start chanting his name at the ground. I will then deny all the last few pages happened 😉😂😂

At the moment, you are not wrong.....but i too appreciate Kierans other skills.

to be a good striker, you need to sharp and anticipate where the ball will be to make that crucial run.....not sure Kieran has that....yet.

No matter how folk dress it up.....he has to score goals to survive.....assists and hold ups as valuable as they are is not enough on their own.....it will wear thin in time, not scoring.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

At the moment, you are not wrong.....but i too appreciate Kierans other skills.

to be a good striker, you need to sharp and anticipate where the ball will be to make that crucial run.....not sure Kieran has that....yet.

No matter how folk dress it up.....he has to score goals to survive.....assists and hold ups as valuable as they are is not enough on their own.....it will wear thin in time, not scoring.

Who's Kieran?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Say what you want about his goals and he does need to score goals I have rarely watched him and thought 'he didn't make much impact today.'

He always, almost always has an effect on the game. He is an absolute menace, a great team player, hugely intelligent, aware and an absolute unit.

I wonder where his game would be at if he hadn't lost the best part of 2 years.

I get what you are saying, but equally if Andy Gray or Peter withe, did all that without scoring, what would history have done for them?

Injuries are genuine mitigation.....but has has to score too.

• Like 1

Â