Keinan Davis

a-k

I'm not sure I really get the hype. I know he's reasonable at holding up the ball, but that is hit and miss per game based on his age/experience, but his finishing is poor, he doesn't take players on and his distribution, knock ons and headers are normally wayward. He's hardly prolific in front of goal or unplayable. He had practically a one on one today and not for one second did it look like he was going to score it.

Don't get me wrong, he's doing OK, but I'd say OK at best. He's obviously far less selfish than Kodjia which helps the team as a whole but is that because he's not ever going to be capable of scoring goals reguarly. He doesn't act like a striker and rarely looks threatening going forward.

I just don't see what others do. He's ok, doing a job in an area of the pitch we're ridiculously short in but can anyone really see him scoring 10-20 goals even at this level? Ever since he got his contract his performances have dropped too which is a worry.

He played well I thought, but I will agree his one-on-one was a bit concerning, as he a] appeared to drop his head to focus on the ball, b] took a moderately heavy touch which moved the ball onto his left foot and narrowed the angle, and then c] drove it straight at the keeper. 

He didn't look like a natural goalscorer at that moment. 

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

I can see a group of midfielders scoring ten each playing off him. 

It's worth remembering that last year after Kodjia, Grealish was our top scorer with five - Davis is capable of changing that - Davis has changed that.

I definitely see that, I even commented as much but I don't see much else about him.

This is not me slagging him off at all but I'm just reacting to the hype around the player as I don't understand it. He's been linked with massive Premier League teams etc yet he's very very limited. I don't see an exceptional Championship striker, never mind even a average Premier League one. Can you afford to have a big target man who doesn't score goals? I'm not looking at him scoring 30+ or anything,  just 10 to 20 in a season and I don't think he's capable of that.

But, like I've said, I'm relatively happy for the job he's done/doing for us but I just don't get the hype. 

He’s very much a work in progress but there’s lots to be positive about. With Keenan playing we’re a much better balanced team and it’s no surprise that since he came into the team our midfielders have started to contribute a lot more goals.The goals will come in time. 

17 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

I'm not sure I really get the hype. I know he's reasonable at holding up the ball, but that is hit and miss per game based on his age/experience, but his finishing is poor, he doesn't take players on and his distribution, knock ons and headers are normally wayward. He's hardly prolific in front of goal or unplayable. He had practically a one on one today and not for one second did it look like he was going to score it.

Don't get me wrong, he's doing OK, but I'd say OK at best. He's obviously far less selfish than Kodjia which helps the team as a whole but is that because he's not ever going to be capable of scoring goals reguarly. He doesn't act like a striker and rarely looks threatening going forward.

I just don't see what others do. He's ok, doing a job in an area of the pitch we're ridiculously short in but can anyone really see him scoring 10-20 goals even at this level? Ever since he got his contract his performances have dropped too which is a worry.

Your points are valid and to be honest he may not even be that good a player. But he is crucial to the way Steve Bruce's teams play. That big man up front that works tirelessly, holds the ball up and roughs up defenders is what we needed and I'm surprised it took that long to realise that.

Is Davis going to go on to big things? I doubt it. Is he crucial to Villa right now? Yes he is. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, roadoftrinity said:

Other than when we played QPR when he was absolutely superb. 

I disagree. I think there have been a couple of games where he's been pretty pants. Sunderland in the week for example.

I'm not criticising him. He's young and inexperienced, so of course he's going to be inconsistent.

When he's good he's very very good.

• Like 1

I appreciate that he is still learning his trade.....so  i am not going to indulge myself in criticism.

when he is able to dominate his opposite number more and his confidence rises the goals will come.

where i think he could help himself more, is by playing closer to the shoulder of the last man....if he turns him or wins the duel, he is clean through.....at present he is picking balls up in front of the last man and then has the task of beating him, but usually runs in to trouble with other defenders having time to recover.

learning, is what he has to do and doing it in a team going for promotion is not easy, in terms of slack.

As other have said, Davis makes us a a better team even if he isn't playing well. 

Since he started the Norwich game, which was 19th August, the league table looks like this (doesn't include the Sheff Utd result earlier today) . I think it shows that we are best with a 'big man' up front and this is how we should line up for the rest of the season

Pos Team P   W D L GF GA   W D L GF GA   GD Pts
1 Wolverhampton Wanderers 16   7 1 1 23 10   4 1 2 11 5   19 35
2 Aston Villa 16   6 2 1 14 7   4 2 1 12 4   15 34
3 Sheffield United 15   6 0 2 17 9   5 0 2 13 8   13 33
4 Bristol City 16   3 3 2 10 8   5 3 0 14 7   9 30
5 Derby County 15   4 1 1 14 5   4 3 2 13 12   10 28
6 Cardiff City 15   4 3 0 11 4   4 1 3 8 9   6 28

Just now, djdabush said:

He's young, inexperienced and seems like he generally suits playing another forward. Really need another forward fit to play alongside him as I don't think we can rely on him alone for much longer.

I disagree entirely.

Just now, Stevo985 said:

I disagree entirely.

Fair enough, that's what opinions are all about. I probably didn't emphasise my main point which is that having a youngster as our only fit striker is a worry because ultimately he will naturally have poor games as well as being knackered from the championship schedule. He's doing very well but we can't rely on him solely because he's bound to have his off days.

2 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

He's 19 mate and is growing by the game, he is doing more than a lot of other players of that age in the game. Patience!

Referring to the 4 corner model in Football that is used by clubs/scouts to try and source the best young talent around. There is a reason why the likes of Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs are all looking at Davis as he ticks all 4 boxes within the 4 corner model or 5 if you class Technical/Tactical as 2 individual models rather than 1.

Edited by Villan4Life

Just now, djdabush said:

Fair enough, that's what opinions are all about. I probably didn't emphasise my main point which is that having a youngster as our only fit striker is a worry because ultimately he will naturally have poor games as well as being knackered from the championship schedule. He's doing very well but we can't rely on him solely because he's bound to have his off days.

Yep I don't disagree with that bit (today certainly wasn't an off day)

What I disagree with is that he works best with a partner. 

The formation we played today is our best formation and Davis has been key to that this season. His ability to hold the ball up and bring the attacking midfielders into the game is why we have a winger who scores nearly every week.

I don't like us playing 4-4-2 and I hope as strikers regain fitness Bruce isn't tempted into trying it again (beyond times when it's required tactically of course)

• Like 1

Â