Keinan Davis

a-k

All this talk about how Smith should have brought Davis on bemuses me. When Liverpool can bring on a player who scored over 20 league goals last season and we're talking about a player who hasn't even got one in his career. its  a mismatch. Smith has limited tools to workk with. Davis did well when coming on against what is realistically a championship but doubt if he would have made a difference today

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, PaulC said:

All this talk about how Smith should have brought Davis on bemuses me. When Liverpool can bring on a player who scored over 20 league goals last season and we're talking about a player who hasn't even got one in his career. its  a mismatch. Smith has limited tools to workk with. Davis did well when coming on against what is realistically a championship but doubt if he would have made a difference today

We needed to hold the ball up....for his sins, that is the one forte Keinan has got.

Liverpools achilles was their 2 centre backs.....I thought it was a perfectly feasible suggestion.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TRO said:

We needed to hold the ball up....for his sins, that is the one forte Keinan has got.

Liverpools achilles was their 2 centre backs.....I thought it was a perfectly feasible suggestion.

As another poster said though Liverpool centre backs have perfectly capable of dealing with players like Davis. i dont think he would have made much difference 

24 minutes ago, ender4 said:

He’s just not very good.  
We’ll buy a proper striker in the summer, and Davis will be gone.

He created a goal last week...what did he do today to prompt that....He was not very good today, because, he never got a shout/ Appearance.

I thought he would have been Brilliant, but that's me being, well sarky, sorry.

Davis is what he is....but he is also a decoy for a poor midfield.....even when he doesn't play.

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

As another poster said though Liverpool centre backs have perfectly capable of dealing with players like Davis. i dont think he would have made much difference 

we will never know,will we?

but ,I think you have more faith in their centre Backs, than their fans.

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

I disagree. The two Liverpool centre backs looked awful at defending balls in behind. We needed more runners in behind and more players to feed those runners.

Unfortunately we didn’t manage to score on the couple of occasions we got in behind towards the end of the game and their quality showed with a cracking finish by Alexander-Arnold.

It happens when you’re playing the top teams in the league and on another day Trezeguet’s shot goes in and we nick the game 2-1. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

I disagree. The two Liverpool centre backs looked awful at defending balls in behind. We needed more runners in behind and more players to feed those runners.

Unfortunately we didn’t manage to score on the couple of occasions we got in behind towards the end of the game and their quality showed with a cracking finish by Alexander-Arnold.

It happens when you’re playing the top teams in the league and on another day Trezeguet’s shot goes in and we nick the game 2-1. 

I disagree too....We have a runner in Ollie, but he was marked, by those very centre backs.....Keinan would have freed up Ollie to make those very runs you allude to and play off him.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Goals isn't the reason people would have wanted him to come on, so that's a conveniently skewed and one dimensional argument.

He never scored last match either, but he almost single handedly allowed/created/forced the issue for Trez, and our main striker to do so.

I wanted him on, I actually wanted him to start but I have to caveat that 15 min cameo was incredibly rare from Davis, that’s not his normal MO.  

Again I wanted him to start, I wanted him to come on but we have also caution he’s not a world beater, he’s generally ineffective in danger areas in the box and he generally creates nothing and scores nothing.  He did incredibly well against Fulham and I wanted him to start today but we have to have a sense of realism of what he probably would have added, probably very little as usual BUT I wanted to try because if he can do more like Fulham then great.  It looks like he’ll never get that chance now at Villa (which I think is probably right) but today I would’ve tried.

13 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Goals isn't the reason people would have wanted him to come on, so that's a conveniently skewed and one dimensional argument.

He never scored last match either, but he almost single handedly allowed/created/forced the issue for Trez, and our main striker to do so.

I only mentioned goals to show the difference in quality both teams have to bring on from the bench. Yes he made a difference from the bench against a team that are going down but do really think he would have made much difference against a team like Liverpool. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I wanted him on, I actually wanted him to start but I have to caveat that 15 min cameo was incredibly rare from Davis, that’s not his normal MO.  

Again I wanted him to start, I wanted him to come on but we have also caution he’s not a world beater, he’s generally ineffective in danger areas in the box and he generally creates nothing and scores nothing.  He did incredibly well against Fulham and I wanted him to start today but we have to have a sense of realism of what he probably would have added, probably very little as usual BUT I wanted to try because if he can do more like Fulham then great.  It looks like he’ll never get that chance now at Villa (which I think is probably right) but today I would’ve tried.

Very Honest opinions today Nick..

I think Barkley is probably lower stock than Keinan right now, and is a bigger scapegoat too....Hence the bemused, substitution.....sure Barkley has done it in the past, but is probably of par with Drinkwater & McCormack for expectation now.

I get your point about the last match being a one off, and I guess it was Hobson's choice for Dean....but me, I would have gone for Davis, for pure physical disruption and Ollie capitalising.

People don't seem to be considering the other side of the coin. Bringing Davis on meant we would most likely switch to a 4-4-2 against champions Liverpool. You can understand why he chose to bring on Ramsey instead (and even Barkley given his Everton connections).

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, TRO said:

Very Honest opinions today Nick..

I think Barkley is probably lower stock than Keinan right now, and is a bigger scapegoat too....Hence the bemused, substitution.....sure Barkley has done it in the past, but is probably of par with Drinkwater & McCormack for expectation now.

I get your point about the last match being a one off, and I guess it was Hobson's choice for Dean....but me, I would have gone for Davis, for pure physical disruption and Ollie capitalising.

I agree, I think 95% on this forum including me would’ve gone for Davis over Barkley today but Smith is in charge and it suggests he has almost no faith in him and Davis is on he way out. It’s hard to see any other conclusion based on Fulham performance and action today.  So in Smiths mind Keinan has lower stock than Barkley.  

There must be more to it in training and off pitch with Davis.  We know Smith and the players like him, they have told us so what’s going on.  Probably nothing but then he must not be delivering enough in training.

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I agree, I think 95% on this forum including me would’ve gone for Davis over Barkley today but Smith is in charge and it suggests he has almost no faith in him and Davis is on he way out. It’s hard to see any other conclusion based on Fulham performance and action today.  So in Smiths mind Keinan has lower stock than Barkley.  

There must be more to it in training and off pitch with Davis.  We know Smith and the players like him, they have told us so what’s going on.  Probably nothing but then he must not be delivering enough in training.

I have no idea, what his reasoning is.....but on one point alone, it fills me with meloncholy, to see a powerfully built player like Keinan, despite his shortfalls depart from the squad and an equally powerful player not join.

I think our midfield in particular is short, I want to see some power come in, lets shop in Germany, for a change.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, AV82 said:

People don't seem to be considering the other side of the coin. Bringing Davis on meant we would most likely switch to a 4-4-2 against champions Liverpool. You can understand why he chose to bring on Ramsey instead (and even Barkley given his Everton connections).

Why is switching 4-4-2 against Liverpool suddenly this super dangerous thing? I don't get it. Its not like we were dominating them or were on the front foot so I don't get why some people are suddenly so concerned about our formation. Just seems like an excuse to justify Smith's decision tbh.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

I have no idea, what his reasoning is.....but on one point alone, it fills me with meloncholy, to see a powerfully built player like Keinan, despite his shortfalls depart from the squad and an equally powerful player not join.

I think our midfield in particular is short, I want to see some power come in, lets shop in Germany, for a change.

Without doubt we need some more size in this squad.  More than that, size and can put it about and use that frame.  So a player with the attributes of LeBron James size and power, Usain Bolts speed and Roy Keanes attitude and work ethic for our next midfielder and then buy Haaland to add upfront.  Thanks.

Edited by nick76
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Without doubt we need some more size in this squad.  More than that, size and can put it about and use that frame.  So a player with the attributes of LeBron James size and power, Usain Bolts speed and Roy Keanes attitude and work ethic for our next midfielder and then buy Haaland to add upfront.  Thanks.

Hallelujah!!!

You've go it......but you spoilt it by saying Haaland, now everyone knows thats ridiculous.😀

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, AV82 said:

What can the Queen do?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TRO said:

we will never know,will we?

We never will no.

But it doesn't stop many (not you) talking like factually...that is the reason we lost. We would have won if the sub they wanted was made. If the formation they wanted was played.

It's incredible stuff and it's been happening for weeks.

Â