RBS Six Nations 2016

theboyangel

That's a good point about the need for a settled pairing. As someone pointed out in the post-match analysis on Saturday, it was the first time in quite some time that the Roberts crash-ball tactic had actually worked or led to something. He can be quite 'easy' to nullify. In my mind he's an upgraded Brad Barritt, albeit a huge, huge one (BB was abysmal in the World Cup). Solid in defence and only runs hard and straight. 

On 2/15/2016 at 09:59, Rds1983 said:

Who do you think should be the midfield pair at the next world cup? Whoever is in form or a settled two with a decent amount of caps? I'm leaning towards a more settled pair as great centres who understand the poeple around them can win games for you (like Roberts on Saturday) but to do that you have to give them as many games as possible. Joseph did brilliantly yesterday but we have a lot of options available with Slade, Daly, Tuilangi, Barrett, Farrell (prefer him at 10 but never mind) etc. There has been too much chopping and changing under Lancaster so I'm keen to see what Jones will do but feel that there will be some very good players struggling to get near the starting 15.

I'd like to see Luther Burrell given another chance, and Henry Slade would be worth a shout when he comes back from injury. 

31 minutes ago, turnbull said:

I'd like to see Luther Burrell given another chance, and Henry Slade would be worth a shout when he comes back from injury. 

Burrell is a good shout and I like the look of Slade. I'm just glad that we have decent options and that I don't have to pick the partnership. Hopefully Jones can spot the best combination and give them plenty of time to develop together.

2 hours ago, turnbull said:

I heard someone on the radio saying that Slade is due back much sooner than expected (they said next month but I guess that's training rather than playing).

I wouldn't be surprised if Slade were the 10 we're looking for rather than either Ford or Farrell.

• Like 1

Not really. There was a 6/2 ratio in favour of forwards on the bench for the Italy game. When Farrell went off for a concussion test we were forced to bring Goode on as there was no natural centre cover. Itoje can cover second and back rows meaning that, as bench cover for lock only, Lawes is the natural fall guy. 

We were forward heavy against Italy as they are very pack orientated and can afford to bring another back in. It's a shame that Lawes has gone as I think he is our best lock but I think he is carrying an injury.

Hopefully McCloskey gets the nod for Ireland. Sexton, McCloskey, and Henshaw would make for a interesting (and big) midfield.

I don't think it'll be a pretty game against the English. I expect a lot of kicking from both teams as both defences are sound. England's strength in depth will probably see them nick it in the end.

30 minutes ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

Hopefully McCloskey gets the nod for Ireland. Sexton, McCloskey, and Henshaw would make for a interesting (and big) midfield.

I don't think it'll be a pretty game against the English. I expect a lot of kicking from both teams as both defences are sound. England's strength in depth will probably see them nick it in the end.

If Ireland play a lot of kicks it could come back to bite them; England's backs are good under a high ball and like running it back.

6 hours ago, JB said:

Not really. There was a 6/2 ratio in favour of forwards on the bench for the Italy game. When Farrell went off for a concussion test we were forced to bring Goode on as there was no natural centre cover. Itoje can cover second and back rows meaning that, as bench cover for lock only, Lawes is the natural fall guy. 

Ah - fair point.

On 2/24/2016 at 17:23, Rds1983 said:

Lawes back in with Launchbury out injured.

Itoje starts which is a positive, the guy's an absolute beast.

Wales and France both poor tonight, could this be England's year?

Perhaps. I'm not sure I mind whether it is or isn't. I just want us to develop in to a good side that plays good rugby and beats people. If we have to slip up along the way then so be it.

Looking forward to Itoje starting, too, though I do like what Jones has said about not hyping him up too much until he's actually delivered on the international stage (though he said that whilst hyping him up!).

Edited by snowychap

That was a pretty horrible game of rugby. And it wasn't even absorbing in the way that attritional games some times are. I really don't enjoy watching Wales play. They are also an incredibly lucky team. Gifted yet another try when they didn't look like creating anything. 

As France, it looked like they must have been trying to play badly at times given just how awful they were and how out of position some of their players were at times.

• Like 1

Wales have not been a good team for a while now; but they always massively raise their game against England whilst we seem to regress. Hopefully Jones can change this and make us a genuine force. England need to start winning the six nations again (hopefully this year) as we need a winning mentality if we are to challenge the southern hemisphere teams. Our record this millennium is poor.

Â