Ticket Prices

villa4europe

The Premier League, and its clubs are all about the filthy money these days. Make as much as you can, as screw the "customers". Clubs like Chelsea, Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal etc don't wan't loyal fans. They want a new set of customers every week, who will buy a shirt, and a scarf at the club shop, and get the programme, and buy a burger and a beer inside the gound. If they could get away with it, they'd ban away fans, and offer the seats to Japanese tourists.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Avg wage in UK in 2016 = £25,000

After tax/ni that = £77 per day

It should not take a days work to afford a ticket to a 2 hour long event.

It should be 20 quid, 30 quid MAX (for londoners or something) for a football ticket.

I instinctively agree with you, but if I were playing devil's advocate, I suppose I'd point out that football is often compared to the theatre - live event, similar duration, roughly similar size of industry, 'leisure pound' - and I recently bought a theatre ticket, for a matinee performance, which cost £57.50. 

I could be wrong but the theatre has the same show on for a while so say you pay your £57.50 to see that show you then wait a couple of months till the next one.  Whereas with footy its a different game every week I don't think the 2 can be compared when you are spending your hard earned cash.  As another poster said Twenty is Plenty to attend a game home or away.

• Like 1

I agree, the Theatre company are also not getting £100m a year from TV, plus millions from kit manufacturers, plus millions from other sponsors...

The more money that comes into football just results in richer players, richer agents and poorer supporters.

• Like 1

Also, at the theatre you seeing people at the top of their game giving it all in an enjoyable performance. Can't say the same about football

This just shows the utter contempt clubs have for fans. I bet gate receipts now only make up a small percentage of a clubs turnover. Its all TV money now. Yet they'd rather put the prices up. The clubs don't care you've been a loyal fan and going to every game for 30 years... if they can get a tourist in every week who is buying a half and half scarf and a shirt then they'd rather have that. 

Ultimately though, more fool people for still paying the prices. Its like those fans at Liverpool - they'll still buy tickets. Therefore the clubs will keep doing it. I decided years ago that the cost of season ticket at Villa compared to the enjoyment I get and value for money wasn't worth it. Vote with your feet people 

• Like 1

Good news at least is all the major papers are covering this, in previous occasions it's just been a footnote story so good there's double page spreads on it and the topic is being taken seriously.

We all know how image obsessed the Premier league gets so all this bad publicity will force them to do something I reckon although can't see it being put down to 20 quid.

2 hours ago, Xela said:

Also, at the theatre you seeing people at the top of their game giving it all in an enjoyable performance. Can't say the same about football

This just shows the utter contempt clubs have for fans. I bet gate receipts now only make up a small percentage of a clubs turnover. Its all TV money now. Yet they'd rather put the prices up. The clubs don't care you've been a loyal fan and going to every game for 30 years... if they can get a tourist in every week who is buying a half and half scarf and a shirt then they'd rather have that. 

Ultimately though, more fool people for still paying the prices. Its like those fans at Liverpool - they'll still buy tickets. Therefore the clubs will keep doing it. I decided years ago that the cost of season ticket at Villa compared to the enjoyment I get and value for money wasn't worth it. Vote with your feet people 

Similar. I could choose between driving lessons or a Villa ticket. Sadly the ticket had to go and have never been able to afford another, so go to about 7-8 home leagues games and the cup games when I can a season.

11 hours ago, Zatman said:

but theatre has always been thought of as an event for elite people and big spenders, while football has always been the event for the ordinary person

That stopped when they got their way and had all-seater stadia.

5 hours ago, S-Platt said:

I could be wrong but the theatre has the same show on for a while so say you pay your £57.50 to see that show you then wait a couple of months till the next one.  Whereas with footy its a different game every week I don't think the 2 can be compared when you are spending your hard earned cash.  As another poster said Twenty is Plenty to attend a game home or away.

Until very very recently going to VP had become incredibly repetitive......see a goal, wait a few months for the next one, seems the same...

If villa sold 42k tickets at an average price of £35 for 19 games it's worth circa £28m quid to them

reality is that with the attendances it's probably around £23m

If it's 35k at £20 for 19 games it's circa £13m, so a £10m hit.

3k away fans getting £20 tickets rather than £35 is worth around £850k, not even 1% of the TV deal

I must admit Id have more sympathy with fans moaning about ticket prices if I didn't see so many of them necking back Beer and gawd knows what else at a game (especially the Beer, I've lost track of how many people get to their seats after KO, leave before half time, etc). For me, the big one is kids.  Mine are now grown up, but in general they are the future of the Club.  Id like to see a thing where if a Dad or MOM brings the kids, they still pay full whack, but let the young ones in Free.  Second thing would be Cup early rounds free.  Third thing would be a Standing area, cheaper, just like Standing areas always were.  They could then keep the other stuff the same having catered for those who cant afford it.

On ‎09‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 14:26, lapal_fan said:

Avg wage in UK in 2016 = £25,000

After tax/ni that = £77 per day

It should not take a days work to afford a ticket to a 2 hour long event.

It should be 20 quid, 30 quid MAX (for londoners or something) for a football ticket.

At £50 per ticket it means you work 22 minutes of each working day for your footie.

At £20 it'd be 9 minutes of every day.  So just skive for 13 minutes every day !!...whats that, one fag break !!

• Like 1

It's a fair point if you want to charge £50 for a ticket in a padded seat with waiters bringing you a beer and food during the game then I am all for that.  I mean you might treat yourself every now and then.  

The average family man though that takes his kids should not pay more than £20 for his ticket and a fiver for the kids.  

Villa have a huge opportunity next season if we go down to fill Villa Park with that sort of offer.  They will have more games so in theory could make the same in gate receipts by lowering the cost.  

I would be offering Holte End/North Stand season tickets at £300 for adults and £100 for kids.  £400/£150 for the Trinity/Witton Lane.  Match day prices £20/£5 and £25/£8. Fill the ground and get that feel good factor back into the fan base.

At those sort of prices would you be more inclined to go or has that ship sailed?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

It's a fair point if you want to charge £50 for a ticket in a padded seat with waiters bringing you a beer and food during the game then I am all for that.  I mean you might treat yourself every now and then.  

The average family man though that takes his kids should not pay more than £20 for his ticket and a fiver for the kids.  

Villa have a huge opportunity next season if we go down to fill Villa Park with that sort of offer.  They will have more games so in theory could make the same in gate receipts by lowering the cost.  

I would be offering Holte End/North Stand season tickets at £300 for adults and £100 for kids.  £400/£150 for the Trinity/Witton Lane.  Match day prices £20/£5 and £25/£8. Fill the ground and get that feel good factor back into the fan base.

At those sort of prices would you be more inclined to go or has that ship sailed?

If we go down it would be harder to reduce prices as we would be losing huge revenue from the Sky deal, and ticket money would make up a larger percentage of our vastly reduced income.The Premiership clubs are well able to reduce prices for fans, but simply choose not to, preferring to milk us to the maximum like any other source of revenue.Have to say English football is obscenely expensive. Watched the New York Yankees in Yankee Stadium a few years ago for $28. Believe Bundesliga matches are much cheaper, as are many other top nations games. If they are not careful the worm will turn, and the richest league in the world will be playing to half empty stadiums.Wont that look good on TV.

5 hours ago, Genie said:

I agree, the Theatre company are also not getting £100m a year from TV, plus millions from kit manufacturers, plus millions from other sponsors...

Exactly this.

Theatres make money from ticket sales. That's it.

Football clubs don't. They make some money, but it's a drop in the ocean compared to the TV and prize money (or at least the extra they make by putting up the price is a drop in the ocean)

They charge high prices because they can. That's the only reason.

Part of me thinks there should have been a requirement in this new TV deal that meant ticket prices were capped at a certain amount, with a certain amount of the TV money earmarked to make up for that for clubs. I haven't thought about it enough to decide if that's actually practical or not.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

What annoys me is FSG seem to be getting a load of praise now for saying sorry and dropping the prices again.

**** that. They're only sorry because they got called out. They got caught with their hand in the cookie jar. Just because they put the cookie back doesn't make them the good guys.

• Like 3

Â