Ratings & Reactions: West Ham v Villa

limpid

20 minutes ago, GeordieVillan said:

Defence was good, as it has been for the last month. 

We invited pressure on ourselves when we down to 10 men, as we didn't have out ball. I would have brought Sinclair on Gil, and had him and Bacuna trying to join Gabby, but more than anything else I would have put Gabby right on the shoulder of the last defender so they had to keep at least 2 defenders back. As it was, James Collins was running into our box for crosses thoughout the second half, as we had no chance of a counter attack.

Our approach with 10 men was as frustrating as the reason we were down to 10 men.

I also thought Gana was excellent, after his howler on Saturday.

To  be fair, He knew that if he treid to push Collins back, Collins would have just gone back with him leaving no space behind nullifying him.

The way Gabby was "forced" to play was reliant on WH misplacing passes, which is something WH dont "do" as they have won the world cup.

• Like 1

Just now, Grasshopper said:

To  be fair, He knew that if he treid to push Collins back, Collins would have just gone back with him leaving no space behind nullifying him.

The way Gabby was "forced" to play was reliant on WH misplacing passes, which is something WH dont "do" as they have won the world cup.

Yeah but the issue was our approach made it easy for West Ham to camp in our half. Gabby should have been on the half way line, rather than mid-way in our half.

2 minutes ago, GeordieVillan said:

Yeah but the issue was our approach made it easy for West Ham to camp in our half. Gabby should have been on the half way line, rather than mid-way in our half.

That may have left too much distance between 1up -> 2 lines of 4

Just got home from the match so without the benefit of replays my view was

we should have had a pen in the first half before the sending off 

their  first goal was offside to me  but regardless Bunn has had a bit of a shocker with it 

missed what Ayew did but sounds as though we have no complaints 

at times Richards was playing further up the field than Bacuna with not a lot of effort to get back

what does Vertout actually do ? 

i didn't think Gabby did too badly under the circumstances

Richardson should never play for the club again , just pay him off and tell him to go

Bunn is a bit of a liability , great save from Nobles volley (m but flapped at a few and on the whole his positioning is wrong 

I thought Nobles challenge was dangerous and should have been a red , my mates (all West Ham ) all said not

Gana is the new Sánchez in that for every good thing he does he has to do something wrong afterwards to counter it

i doubt we'd have won had Auew stayed on but maybe we'd have got a 0-0 ... What was noticeable though is that the players have kinda given up and are going through the motions , yeah they tackled but almost every time there was a 50 / 50 our players didn't want it as much as theirs 

the bloke who was sitting next to me appears to be having an affair and the texts I was reading on his phone without him knowing were quite racey , Alas no pics though 

finally dont know if he does it every game but Bilic  waited by the tunnel at the end  and clapped every villa player off the pitch and shaked hands with them ( few got hugs , Richards and Lescott )... Classy stuff 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

the bloke who was sitting next to me appears to be having an affair and the texts I was reading on his phone without him knowing were quite racey , Alas no pics though 

At least there were plenty of tits on the pitch.

Ayew what are you doing. Another game vs West Ham where they were probably there for the taking again just like they were earlier at VP. Going down has to get the dead wood out n start again and LERNER just **** off now!

14 hours ago, flashingqwerty said:

not just the players that need to go.

we have people in positions at the club that they have no qualifications, experience or know how to be in.  At EVERY level including coaches and scouts.

the club is just rotten - literally everyone should be gotten rid of and replaced

I understand what you are saying but Lerner and whoever else is on the board these days are no the reason why we have only won 2 games out of 24 league matches this year. The players are good enough to do better than that, money was spent in the summer, to the tune of around 40 million. Whoever spent and wasted that money is at fault, not Lerner. Yes he has his faults and clearly its time to go but you have to look at the coaches and the current playing squad for why we are so bad, you can't just blame Lerner for that, there are some deep rooted issues somewhere and this needs to be resolved before we can kick on again as a club.

Edited by AVFCDAN

I only managed to catch it from the 37th minute onwards.  But what I saw was a team who finally believe they are down.  Even allowing for the lowering of what are clearly fragile heads after an early red card, I think that was what struck me.  Up until this match, even in the face of a very grim league table, we had a team full of running and effort if not much return.  But Garde did at least have them believing that a couple of positive results could put a different spin on the relegation fight and maybe get others looking over their shoulders.  Maybe the red card was the final psychological nail in the coffin for the players.  The thought that no matter what we do, fate or referees or something is going to get in the way and we're ultimately doomed to go down despite any efforts we make.  That it's somehow written in the stars.  That's certainly the impression I've been getting as I've watched referee after referee wave away blatant penalty decisions in the past few weeks.  Sure who cares eh? It's only Aston Villa.  They don't matter.  Aren't they bottom of the league anyway?  You don't give decisions in favour of the bottom sides, no matter how much they're justified.  Penalise them by all means.  50-50 becomes 30-70.

You want to make money for the rest of the season?  On this evidence just back our opponents every time.  I'm astonished that the Hammers were 10/11 before kick off.

I think the idea was to always leave them the defenders as their 'out' ball, but mark the space well and prevent any/many options for the forward pass. Worked a treat in the 1st half as it forced West Ham to continually slow the pace and play the simple ball back to their defenders. Only chance we had though was from set pieces as there was no one left forward enough to push them back. 2nd half they started trying to make things happen more and dragged us about a bit, then after the goal knew they could leave men forward for a counter attack which they did from the corner.

Unfortunately Ayews stupidity and some utterly baffling refereeing cost us this match, there wasn't much more the 10 others out there could do

On 03/02/2016 at 12:14, AVFCDAN said:

I understand what you are saying but Lerner and whoever else is on the board these days are no the reason why we have only won 2 games out of 24 league matches this year. The players are good enough to do better than that, money was spent in the summer, to the tune of around 40 million. Whoever spent and wasted that money is at fault, not Lerner. Yes he has his faults and clearly its time to go but you have to look at the coaches and the current playing squad for why we are so bad, you can't just blame Lerner for that, there are some deep rooted issues somewhere and this needs to be resolved before we can kick on again as a club.

I was referring to the coaching staff, scouts, physios, etc.  Many of them do not have sufficient qualifications to warrant their positions at a premier league club.

I was referring to the coaches