X Windows managers?

BOF

You could have booted a live cd in a virtualbox quicker than this.

Is the other person who its working for loginng in as the same user as you? Is that the IP address of your laptop? Have you turned off the windows firewall (if that's still a thing).

It's just really annoying me now.  Throwing the towel in.  F**k them and their overly-complicated network 'safety'(sic).  That's what I'm putting it down to.  If it's so safe that I can't spawn a window (i.e. do a portion of my job) then they can do that bit themselves and shove it up their arse :thumb:

Thanks for the help guys.  Really appreciate the time ! :)

• Like 1

I had a student do this a couple of months back and the solution seemed to be to install cygwin with every option/package box checked, else some command line voodoo was required. We never did track down which package was causing the initial issues similar to what you described. Works fine now for logging in remotely through the local VPN. Windows 10 if I remember correctly though... so make Bill happy and upgrade!  

Upgrade decision not up to me.  It must be system-wide.   As for checking all packages.  Wow.  That's an enormous amount of packages.  Might be an idea though if worst comes to the worst.  Thanks :thumb:

3 hours ago, BOF said:

Upgrade decision not up to me.  It must be system-wide.   As for checking all packages.  Wow.  That's an enormous amount of packages.  Might be an idea though if worst comes to the worst.  Thanks :thumb:

No. virtualbox and a live CD is infinitely preferable to this.

Although it won't help if it's a firewall.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, BOF said:

Cheers Levi.  Somehow only seeing this now.

snapshot3.png.18bcb1b581379303c875b4e1d2

If only there was a way to "follow" topics you're interested in :) Or you can set notifications to automatically follow topics you start or topics you post in....

Success !

I have it running on X-Win 32.

I think the main issue with XMing, VcXsrv & Cygwin was that they don't seem to like emulating pseudo colour.  Once I disabled access control, they were at least attempting to draw the windows and then bombing out (except in the case of cygwin which never got that far).  X-Win 32 can emulate pseudo colour and can run quite light too.  It does need a licence though, which we have in work, and runs as a manager by triggering one of its own binaries.  Happiness.  What a bleedin' kerfuffle!

• Like 1

It's for really old programs.  I think it's 8-bit colour rendering.  For some reason that functionality is not a given with new applications and they have to be specially coded to accommodate it, and only the higher end apps bother.

Not sure tbqh.  It may be a simple thing, albeit probably involving money.  But it works and the base software is across many platforms with older operating systems than this shiny linux one :)

EDIT : Actually, just asked one of the guys who would be responsible for that area and he said they looked at; and started; changing the code to modernise that element of it but it was a bit of a nightmare so it was much cheaper just to buy the software that can render pseudocolour.  So there you have it.  Money :)

Â