Weekends football 29/31 Jan

andykeenan

The decline of the two Milan clubs just shows, like with us, that success in football is a budget related thing.  When AC and Inter spent the money you'd expect clubs going deep into the Champions League would spend then they were doing well, now they don't have that kind of cash they are both upper mid table clubs.  Football is always about the here and now and having a famous old name entitles you to nothing. Just look at the Premier League table. 

In response to your question though, it depends on what you mean by 'world class'.  For me it's a player who can reliably be called upon to perform at the very highest level (ie, Champions League, international tournaments, big European leagues) and Bacca is probably on the fringes of that level. He's no Leo Messi but he'll score one in two teams like Milan and Seville.  He'd probably be a bit more prolific in a better team but like you said, his age probably means Milan was his last 'big' move.  Still, for a lad who was still clipping tickets on his local bus route when he was a twenty year old he's not done badly. 

Aye it's true with Bacca, he was a late developer, excellent movement and finisher though, see how he read the cross for the 2nd goal, he'd do very well in the premier league imo.

The trouble with a key player like  Miranda who Zatman mentioned who'll be 32 in September is if Inter want to rebuild and make the champions league again is they don't want to get there and find all their key players are in their 30s and can barely run e.g. if they don't make the champions league at end of this season the earliest they can play in it will be when a key defender like Miranda is 33 so that's why I kind of look at players more in the 20-25 age range like Kongo, Icardi (bad penalty miss tonight) and Borozvic who aren't quite elite level yet but should be in 2-3 years time and so that could work.

Handanovic is excellent, as I've said before unlucky for Slovenia their two best players are both keepers.

Â