Backroom staff

mwj

This stood out for me from the AVST thing last week:

This club never had a director of scouting and recruiting or scouts to cover if a manager said ‘I like this players’ we could then show him an alternative. There are eight full-time scouts working under Paddy Riley and they are watching every player they can possibly watch. All the information that is coming in is much better. 

We have a sporting director who is working on all of the things behind the scenes that make you better - strength & conditioning, physio, doctor, athletic development, analytical breakdown. Everything that the club do above us - the Southampton’s and Watford’s and Leicester’s, we are starting to do, It’s very recent. There are things happening We had a lot to do over the summer. 

https://social.shorthand.com/stevewollaston/ugFwyf4tbY/steve-hollis-meets-the-fans

To me, it beggars belief that its 2016 and we have only just begun to do this kind of stuff, when you think that teams other sports in the US, Australia etc have been doing the sports science thing for 20+ years, and clubs like Arsenal, Barca, Lyon, Ajax etc have had wide reaching scouting networks for at least the same amount of time (eg. Fabregas being signed as a 16 yr old in 2003, young African kids in Holland, France etc)

Is there any way to get an idea about the structure of our backroom staff?

To be honest it just sounds like PR spin. I'm sure we had scouts in the past and I doubt Paddy Riley is doing anything different than they were (apart from reportedly using BS stats to assist in scouting players). The only change might be that there are 8 scouts now and we might not have had that many in the past, but who knows. As for the Sporting director, well we've had physio's, doctors etc. so it's impossible to know if anything is better or worse than it was. Just more PR from the club to try to justify the collapse of the club and that things will be better the in future. It's the five year plan all over again.  

Edited by villa89
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, villa89 said:

To be honest it just sounds like PR spin. I'm sure we had scouts in the past and I doubt Paddy Riley is doing anything different than they were (apart from reportedly using BS stats to assist in scouting players). The only change might be that there are 8 scouts now and we might not have had that many in the past, but who knows. As for the Sporting director, well we've had physio's, doctors etc. so it's impossible to know if anything is better or worse than it was. Just more PR from the club to try to justify the collapse of the club and that things will be better the in future. It's the five year plan all over again.  

I agree it sounds like PR spin nonsense to demonstrate they are actually doing something. The scouting system has done so well this January hasnt it?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, mwj said:

So "its impossible to know if its better or worse" but then its just PR spin... ok buddy

Can someone that has a clue answer my question?

He gave you his opinion.  If you want facts you've come to the wrong place.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mwj said:

So "its impossible to know if its better or worse" but then its just PR spin... ok buddy

Can someone that has a clue answer my question?

Well, I don't necessarily have a clue, MJW, but I think we are now doing things the right way, we just tried to do it too quickly and with the wrong manager. We needed a more solid base, but I guess we have to start somewhere. We tried to start with Houllier, but circumstances were against us then also. This time, I think the club has actually got it right, I happen to like Garde, Fox and Reilly, but unfortunately the likelihood is that we will have to build from the Championship.

4 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Well, I don't necessarily have a clue, MJW, but I think we are now doing things the right way, we just tried to do it too quickly and with the wrong manager. We needed a more solid base, but I guess we have to start somewhere. We tried to start with Houllier, but circumstances were against us then also. This time, I think the club has actually got it right, I happen to like Garde, Fox and Reilly, but unfortunately the likelihood is that we will have to build from the Championship.

I agree 100% with all of this, but it would be interesting to know exactly how the footballing side of the club is now structured (academy, sports science, scouting etc)

Basically if it's negative it's true if it's positive it's PR spin!! What was said at the AGM is the same line Fox has been trotting out since he got here. We are trying to get a system in place that negates the comings and goings of managers. Over the last 5 years we have had loads of managers all with different remits and styles what we need is a long term strategy which includes everything from recruitment of players to managers so we keep the same philosophy. Look how well Southampton have done losing Pochettino then getting a similar manager with in Koeman. That's what you need a manager who buys into the clubs plan not the other way around. Having a consistent back room team looking for players that fit the one style is a lot better than starting from scratch everytime. It also enables you to keep an eye of future prospects and not one season wonders. 

• Like 1

Redundancies at VP today apparently.

Any ideas which areas were trimmed? Usually when cost cutting its marketing, PR, customer service etc that go first...

3 hours ago, mwj said:

Redundancies at VP today apparently.

Any ideas which areas were trimmed? Usually when cost cutting its marketing, PR, customer service etc that go first...

Procurement is also usually near the front of the line.

How much is king earning?

If there was any doubt that Hollis was brought in to plan for life in the championship...

Is there any substance to this? , are we therefore closing the club shop , and food kiosks and only having 3 stewards for the rest of the season . I believe if we do well in the championship we will hit similar attendances to what we have now so there would be no need anyway?

1 minute ago, mattyvilla said:

Is there any substance to this? , are we therefore closing the club shop , and food kiosks and only having 3 stewards for the rest of the season . I believe if we do well in the championship we will hit similar attendances to what we have now so there would be no need anyway?

When we were relegated before, if memory serves me correctly, attendances were unaffected. Sponsorship and that sort of thing would be a bigger problem. There may also be ongoing cost cutting which I suspect will have been going on for the last number of seasons.

• Like 1

Â