Privacy

limpid

We don't have a general thread for privacy issues.

I'll start with this link for those in the Birmingham area on the 17th Feb.

Have you ever searched for a product online, only to find you're still seeing adverts for that product across lots of different websites you visit?

That's because every time we use the web our activities are being monitored, recorded and sold without your consent so that companies can display targeted advertising and sell your data.

PS. Please remember that when you do this, you are reducing (or removing) the revenue paying for the "free" sites that you use. Please consider donating to them instead. Particularly the smaller ones. Like VillaTalk.

PPS. If you want to discuss donations to VT, please start a thread in "Site Issues". This thread is for privacy stuff.

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you're smart enough to know how to do what they're talking about.

Why not post the instructions in the Donor forum, as it's already behind a paywall you wouldn't be losing out.

10 minutes ago, V01 said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you're smart enough to know how to do what they're talking about.

Why not post the instructions in the Donor forum, as it's already behind a paywall you wouldn't be losing out.

Because I'm trying to get people to have an interest in privacy issues.

1 hour ago, V01 said:

I do have an interest in privacy issues, but apart from using a VPN and the do not track request in browser setting I don't know what I can do about it.

Someone should have a meeting and explain things to people in your situation....

Just now, V01 said:

Maybe if they did it at a time I could attend I'd go...

I'm sure they'll be doing a lot more. You can register your interest by clicking "join". 

3 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

On the subject of Windows 10 (from the tech forum thread):

On 30/07/2015 at 12:33, limpid said:

They really don't learn do they?

Windows 10 has just arrived and there’s a new Privacy Policy and Service Agreement from Microsoft coming swiftly in its wake.

The new policies take effect on 1 August and there are a few unsettling things nestling in there that you should be thinking about if you’re using the company’s services and software.

http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2015/07/29/wind-nos/

6 minutes ago, V01 said:

Never even been to Coventry.

Sorry - that was an allusion to this story:

Coventry City police have been criticised for a "burglary patrol" tactic where officers entered unlocked homes in the city and posed for pictures inside, which they then uploaded to Twitter.

But having initially defended the decision saying local residents were "grateful", police on Tuesday deleted all the posts after they were widely reported on.

Some of the images showed houses with unlocked doors or windows - where street names were visible - but other photographs were of officers standing inside the homes, with the front doors ajar.

...more on the link

Edit: I know it's not on line privacy but I think having some clearing in the woods in high-vis tweeting pictures of the inside of your home is a bit of a problem.

Edited by snowychap

• 1 month later...

I'm not that bothered with privacy, except if my privacy is hijacked for illegal means (ID theft etc).

I do find the current privacy debate between iPhone & the FBI to be of some interest and i can see both sides of the argument.

I'm sitting on the fence for 2016, and will decide my position next year.

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, limpid said:

I could be cynical and say the reasons they have given are bordering on scaremongering

High net worth individuals could be targeted, based on where they live, work, eat, shop and combining the location data with a resource like Zoopla shows the locations worth targeting!

• Perfect for burglars who will know when occupants of a house are not in
  • Places your children at risk by identifying if parents pick them up or drop them off between 8.30am and 3.30-4pm during school terms
  • Presents blackmail opportunities, for example by identifying any cases of infidelity – including when, where and how long for
  • Identifies your sex, probable sexual orientation, your religion and many other personal preferences
  • Who you associate with, how often, where and when is passively collected, even if you never contact them via phone or apps or web services

Just now, tonyh29 said:

I could be cynical and say the reasons they have given are bordering on scaremongering

You could, or you could notice that in this thread about privacy issues, this is a privacy issue :) 

• Like 2

Â