MON Conspiracy Theory

Djemba_Villan

10 hours ago, MrDuck said:

Just my opinion Mantis. You thought it was shameful at the time... I didn't. But I'm pretty sure that the whole thing has been cloaked in so much secrecy that nobody outside of a few people at the club really knows what happened, so a definitive judgement on MON (or Lerner for that matter) seems to be rather difficult to make

How is it justified? It's not that he walked out it's the timing.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mantis said:

How is it justified? It's not that he walked out it's the timing.

Without knowing why he walked, I'm loathe to make too much of a judgement on his departure. If he felt he had to quit, then timing doesn't come into it for him - I wouldn't be considering my employer if I'd been so pissed off that I wanted to leave my job (funnily enough I've just done this!). That he ended up getting compensation suggests he was perhaps the wronged party. Lerner's incompetence since makes me think he probably buggered up the MON situation too.

Blimey, it all seems so long ago now!

IIRC it was settled out of court, meaning that both parties didn't want to pursue it any further.

Of course we don't know why he walked but I'm struggling to think of anything that could've suddenly arisen within a few weeks that would've given him justification for leaving just before the start of a new season.

• Like 1

If he'd left the day after the Blackburn game in May 2010 he'd have got a hero's reception when he came back with Sunderland not the mixed one that occured.

Our fault we botched the replacement search though...a club that had just finished 6th three times in a row and would spend 20m on Bent 5 months later should've been doing better than just approaching out of work premier league managers who hadn't even managed for about 3 years in Houllier and Curbishley.

Sums up Lerner though especially when likes of West Ham and SOuthampton have appointed Pochettino, Koeman and Billic even though none of them have finished as high as 6th in the league.

On 26 January 2016 at 17:59, BOF said:

MON appeared to eventually become immune to Randy's softly softly approach and when each request to address the wage bill was made, it was ignored.  Eventually Randy came down hard and said that the money from the Milner sale would go towards addressing the short-fall.  

I enjoyed reading that BOF, a lot of that fills in a few memory blanks for me but also reaffirms what I've believed for a while. 

My only slight query (and forgive me if this has been answered repeatedly before but I simply can't remember what the fan view was at the time) is if Randy was so keen on keeping a tight reign on the wages, how did it come about that Ireland was part of the Milner deal? 

If I remember correctly, we got something like £18m for Milner and Ireland made up the rest. I'm aware that Ireland's stock at the time wasn't bad at all, but his wages were something like £60k+ weren't they? Did MON particularly rate Ireland? I don't know how much Milner was on either.

It just seems strange to me that the deal wouldn't just be all cash which I would have thought MON would perhaps have preferred as it's a few extra quid for potential transfers and Randy definitely would have preferred having a few extra million to hide in his mattress.

Unless Randy thought "hey, swap a midfielder for a midfielder and get £18m as well-transfer negotiating is easy!!!". Which sadly I can picture all too well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DK82 said:

And your mate Sherwood wanted Townsend and Adebayor with the Benteke money.

I bet we wouldnt have been bottom of we signed Townsend and Adebayor instead of Gestede and Traore ;)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I enjoyed reading that BOF, a lot of that fills in a few memory blanks for me but also reaffirms what I've believed for a while. 

My only slight query (and forgive me if this has been answered repeatedly before but I simply can't remember what the fan view was at the time) is if Randy was so keen on keeping a tight reign on the wages, how did it come about that Ireland was part of the Milner deal? 

If I remember correctly, we got something like £18m for Milner and Ireland made up the rest. I'm aware that Ireland's stock at the time wasn't bad at all, but his wages were something like £60k+ weren't they? Did MON particularly rate Ireland? I don't know how much Milner was on either.

It just seems strange to me that the deal wouldn't just be all cash which I would have thought MON would perhaps have preferred as it's a few extra quid for potential transfers and Randy definitely would have preferred having a few extra million to hide in his mattress.

Unless Randy thought "hey, swap a midfielder for a midfielder and get £18m as well-transfer negotiating is easy!!!". Which sadly I can picture all too well.

Honestly I don't know anything beyond pure speculation regarding Stephen Ireland.  There were many fan theories at the time, ranging from the best case of Randy merely completing a deal that had already been agreed with MON in charge, all the way to the worst case of Randy deciding off his own bat to take a chance from scratch on Ireland in some vain attempt to appease the fans during the fallout from MON abandoning us.  That's all after the event though in my mind.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2016 at 15:16, Djemba_Villan said:

Not wishing to resurrect the usual MON/Lerner/What could have been debates - something going on at the minute at West Brom has made me wonder something about the exact way MON left.

so...the secret footballer has written an article which, essentially, accuses Pulis of benefitting from the sale of players via common agents and that berehino is caught up in a standoff between Pulis (who is up to a redknapp) and peace who has cottoned on but can't fire him. It reads as though Pulis is trying to rush the sale such that he can benefit from the % of the inevitable £30m deal rather Than wait for tribunal next year.  Pulis has been sued by every team he's managed except Stoke and it's likely to end the same there.

one particular point I've read is that palace are suing him for bonuses (relating to the profit made on players sold) paid to him weren't due as he didn't manage the first game of the new season. It's apparently common practice for managers to receive bonuses on value added to players.

MON left us stupidly early on in the season on the back of a protracted Milner sale....for which his bonus would have been reduced by the part exchange nature with Stephen Ireland. The real reason MON left was never actually revealed despite promise by Both him and the club and it went to court....could such a manager bonus clause have been a contributing factor? 

Under no circumstance is he going to be sold for £30m, they will be lucky to get half of that.

15 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Under no circumstance is he going to be sold for £30m, they will be lucky to get half of that.

on current form and considering his attitude they be lucky to get 12 million. West Brom got greedy in summer and now backfiring big time on them. Did they really think holding on to a potentially very good striker under Pulis would raise his value

On 1/29/2016 at 11:03, Zatman said:

I bet we wouldnt have been bottom of we signed Townsend and Adebayor instead of Gestede and Traore ;)

We might not be bottom now.

I'd bet my house that we'd still have been bottom when Sherwood left though.

Â