Pre-match thread

dont_do_it_doug.

Will be Bacuna be on the right of a diamond or as part of a central three? Whichever, I don't think he'll be playing down the right hand flank - our width will come from Ayew and Gil.

I'm unsure about Bacuna as a central midfielder - with Gardner proving unsuitable, Lyden unready and Sanchez a bit of a fruit loop, we don't have enough options in there. Put that on the list with striker and keeper.

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

Will be Bacuna be on the right of a diamond or as part of a central three? Whichever, I don't think he'll be playing down the right hand flank - our width will come from Ayew and Gil.

I'm unsure about Bacuna as a central midfielder - with Gardner proving unsuitable, Lyden unready and Sanchez a bit of a fruit loop, we don't have enough options in there. Put that on the list with striker and keeper.

Either that or RM in a 442.

To be fair, even if he is on the right of the diamond, the way Veretout has been playing it makes it look more like he's playing right midfield than central.

6 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Meh looks to me like just because Richards is back he has to play and Bacuna has been forced out of position because of it

You'd think that if Richards and Bacuna were both being accommodated, then Gil would miss out in midfield, not Veretout.

I think he must have picked up a knock and Garde isn't risking him from the start. 

• Like 1

Brunt, Olsson, Fletcher and Morrison all out. 

Taking luck out of the equation, we simply have to win this based on the above. 

What a surprise. Olsson and Fletcher are playing.

Lying bunch of words removed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

Either that or RM in a 442.

To be fair, even if he is on the right of the diamond, the way Veretout has been playing it makes it look more like he's playing right midfield than central.

We won't play a 4-4-2 with wide midfielders - we've got no one who can play on the left hand side. It'll be 4-3-1-2 or 4-3-3. 

I like Bacuna at right back - he's good when the game is in front of him, when he can what's happening and run into space - he's not as effective playing in midfield where he has to be aware of more and is expected to cover for different players and get around more areas of the pitch. He always looks a little lost to me in central midfield and I'm not sure he's got the sort of aggression that you need to play there.

One thing I think can get us a lot of joy today if we work it well and the ref is in the mood is the quick feet of Gil and the erm...willingness to expose a foul that Ayew brings to the game - if we've got a ref that likes a bit of attention we could have them booked out of the game.

6 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

One thing I think can get us a lot of joy today if we work it well and the ref is in the mood is the quick feet of Gil and the erm...willingness to expose a foul that Ayew brings to the game - if we've got a ref that likes a bit of attention we could have them booked out of the game.

I think it's Bobby Madeley, who's already given something stupid like 10 red cards this season

edit: 3 red cards, maybe it's penalties I'm thinking of

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 1

Don't think he would've willingly changed an unbeaten (!) side, so guess Veretout needs a rest, hope it isn't a thought to somehow squeeze a more defensive player in. Once he decides no Veretout he has limited options, of whom Bacuna in midfield is as good (as poor !) as any ....and retains 10 of the 11.